New Toy

Ade

The Tiger has been sold and I have a nice new shiny toy to play with.

Well, not so new as it is 52 years old!

Performance is way down on the Tiger, but loving it as much if not more.

Ade

MG2.jpg

Beautiful car!

I've always loved the MGA's and was lucky enough to have had three (back in the late 60's to 70's when they were not "collectible" and still in good original shape) over the span of about a decade. 1500, 1600, 1600Mk2. Got rid of the Mk2 when I was looking to up-size to an Austin Healey 3000. Ended up with the XK150 Jaguar I still have but really miss the MGAs. One of the most forgiving cars to drive hard, always lets you know when your getting in over your head and low enough on power that it makes you drive it "smart", kind of like a Miata.

Also, so simple and almost no plastic parts so almost nothing you can't either make yourself or restore from what you have.

Have fun!!

Very nice.

One of the sexiest looking MG's ever made in my belief.

Is it a twin cam by chance.

:driving:

Its not a Twin Cam, its a 1600 MKII.

I looked at loads before I bought this one. It had a complete nut and bolt restoration in '99 and has only done 11,000 miles since. Underneath is as gleaming as the bodywork and solid as a rock. Never been out in the rain and I had to help the seller put the hood up so I could see it as he'd never used it. I have all of the documentation, history and an MG heritage certificate so I know its genuine. I have to say its one of the most beautiful cars I have ever driven.

Break my heart! My first car was a 1957 MGA, back in 1962. I was the 5th owner of it, if that tells you anything about the shape it was in. I STILL remember the first time I drove it as clearly as if it were yesterday. The feedback through the steering was so fine that I felt like I actually had my hands on the road, and is the reason I bought my Se7en, and spent so much time getting it to handle and feel like I remember the "A" felt (and it damn near does!). Made me the driving fanatic I remain today .

Was visiting our local "automotive shop" treasure, Zakiras Garage, a while back. They were restoring a 1934 MGP and which raced in a Le Mans a few years later, for the Collier museum - and noticed that it had two 6 volt lead-acid batteries running in series, one of each tucked behind the driver's and passenger's seats. So my "A", and I assume yours also, has deep roots. Congratulations, and many happy miles.

Nice looking "A" . There must be something wrong with our website. The photo got reversed or something. The steering wheel is on the wrong side.:willy_nilly: But seriously, the wipers are parked on the wrong side though. they should be parked in front of the driver regardless of which side the driver is on. The MGA is a great little car. I've had 2, a 1600 coupe and a '56 roadster. Both were great and in some ways, still wish I had them both. But you can't keep them all.

Drive it often and ENJOY:hurray:

My dad drove the one with the roof when he was a kid in Iowa. He loved it. He had to rebuild the transmission a few times, but apparently it was pretty simple. The poor thing got T-boned by a young mexican lady. "But I used my turn signal" she said, completely misunderstanding the powers of the turn signal to move cars out of her way. Later he saw it in the junk yard. The candy paint he'd put on it had crazed. Lacquer was too thick I guess. He and his friend were hurt but nothing permanent. To this day he loves to see nice examples of the MGA. I think I must have inherited the British sports car gene. And I have to say I would LOVE to have one of those. Congrats!

The MGA coupe was the first sports car I really fell in love with, when I saw one (robin's egg blue) at Kurland Sports Cars in Boulder Colorado, around 1958. I still remember those nifty little vertical door handles....

Nice looking "A" . There must be something wrong with our website. The photo got reversed or something. The steering wheel is on the wrong side.:willy_nilly: But seriously, the wipers are parked on the wrong side though. they should be parked in front of the driver regardless of which side the driver is on. The MGA is a great little car. I've had 2, a 1600 coupe and a '56 roadster. Both were great and in some ways, still wish I had them both. But you can't keep them all.

Drive it often and ENJOY:hurray:

There's nothing wrong with the website. The steering is on the correct side otherwise the number plate would be reversed. http://usa7s.com/vb/images/icons/icon7.gif

It spent the first 30 years of its life in Texas with the steering wheel on the wrong side. Was brought back home and had the steering corrected , whilst undergoing a complete restoration. I'll change the wipers back at some point. Its only a matter of moving the motor drive wheel 180deg, but not important. I'll put some more pics up later MHKflyer52.

Thanks for the kind word chaps. I took it to the Goodwood Revival a couple of weeks ago and I never saw a better one all day! http://usa7s.com/vb/images/icons/icon14.gif

Ade