British Super Seven

cobra

Hello all,

I'm new here, have loved the Lotus 7 since I was a kid, and have been watching the market on/off. The calling keeps getting stronger, tough. xD

Sadly, you just don't find them in my area, and so I read all I can on the net, but know nobody with experience.

I like the class body styles and bumped into http://www.vintageoffroad.com/viewvehicle.cfm?id=1142. Despite typos/questionable information (odometer listing is off), has anyone heard of this manufacturer/build? Does 80K miles seem high? I generally don't see that many miles on these things. Is getting a build like this like getting a C3-gen Corvette - always needing new parts/fixing it than driving it? Last, what kind of 0-60ish time does a spitfire engine with a Lotus? Seems like a very humble engine.

Thanks for the advice!

http://www.autoscout24.eu/ListGN.aspx?atype=C&mmvmk0=16335&mmvco=1&make=16335&pricefrom=1000&ustate=N%2CU

Have at it. As long as its 25 years or older it's a pretty easy import. I have a connection if you purchase one from the Netherlands FYI. Import laws are pretty much the same as they have been but enforcement has changed quite a bit in just the last year. I'd shop in the US first.

Where are you located? Are you looking for a complete car or someones abandoned project? Do you want an original Seven or a Locost? The Spitfire is an OK engine but not a rocket ship. What are you wanting to do with the car? Autocross, trackdays, Sunday cruises? November through April is a good time to find a car. Russ

Where are you located? Are you looking for a complete car or someones abandoned project? Do you want an original Seven or a Locost? The Spitfire is an OK engine but not a rocket ship. What are you wanting to do with the car? Autocross, trackdays, Sunday cruises? November through April is a good time to find a car. Russ

I'm located in NE Georgia. I'm looking for a complete car that has a title, since in GA it is impossible to build one and obtain a title (therefore register it). I love the original Seven body style, so a Locost is an option. Caterhams and Birkins always catch my eye, too.

It would be a weekend driver, but I'd like more HP to less. Most of the time would be normal driving. Once in a while would be pure acceleration on clear, straight roads. Although I'd not want to drive in the rain, I'd like weather gear or the ability to add it.

Looks like I am watching the market at the right time! Thanks for the help Russ!

Jason

I would set a realistic budget for the car you want and be prepared to have it shipped to you. Finding a good Seven in any one locale is a long shot. I owned one for ten years and had it shipped across the entire country. Sold it last year and I am experiencing Seller remorse in a big way. As for your mention of fixing the car as opposed to driving........ that is part of Seven ownership. If you drive the car at all, constant repair and maintenence is to be expected,,,,,,, that being said they a fairly easy to work on. Good luck, C

I would set a realistic budget for the car you want and be prepared to have it shipped to you. Finding a good Seven in any one locale is a long shot. I owned one for ten years and had it shipped across the entire country. Sold it last year and I am experiencing Seller remorse in a big way. As for your mention of fixing the car as opposed to driving........ that is part of Seven ownership. If you drive the car at all, constant repair and maintenence is to be expected,,,,,,, that being said they a fairly easy to work on. Good luck, C

I completely agree with everything "C" says. Set the budget, have the money ready, be prepared to ship the car, and if you find a car you like, jump on it. I lost four cars before getting this one. Two were sold the same day they were posted. As for constant maintenance, it's a hand built car designed for performance, not reliability. They are really easy to work on, there are tons of people online to help, and parts are generally inexpensive.

Cobra,

If you are insistent on the purest look, (IMHO) look first to Caterham and Birkin as these two cars best replicate the original Lotus 7 style. The majority of these cars are (were, at the time of original purchase) equipped with foul weather gear, but very few owners (at least, the ones I’ve met) have actually ever use the top and doors. These cars were meant to be driven in the open air, period.

If you want the look of a seven with phenomenal power-to-weight, then you may want to consider a Brunton Stalker. There are several cars out there with the super charged V6 and the V8 cars are finding popularity among Seven fans. I’ve personally owned a Birkin and now own a Stalker with an LS6. However, unlike Caterhams and Birkins, which are very common in build quality as well as in appearance due to factory completeness of the cars, Stalkers are more like finger prints; they may look the same, but they are ALL different. The majority of the used Brunton cars available (unless factory built) began life as a truly basic kit with the owner/builder needing to source the majority of his/her parts for the build. Seat/seat positioning is different; steereing wheel positioning is different; gauge/dash layout will be different . . . . . . And, most importantly, build quality will be different.

As for occasionally driving in a straight line, very fast, that’s not likely going to be the only type of driving you will want to do with a Seven. Once you get a taste of twisty asphalt under your Toyo’s, there’s no turning back. Anyone on this forum with seat time in a Seven will certainly agree.

As for the mechanics of these cars, it does not matter which variant you purchase, you will have to do some wrenching. That’s simply a part of Seven ownership. While not totally necessary for ownership, being a gear head helps. I’ve personally never owned a ‘specialty’ car that I did not have/want to turn a wrench on. Things break or you will want to upgrade/modify. Own a Seven long enough (probably a month or less) and you will find yourself wrenching for both reasons. As for my car, I own it for the second time. If you click on the link with my signature and browse the last two pages of my build file, you will find numerous fixes/mods from the past year.

For the best out-of-the-box experience with first-time Seven ownership, purchase the most well-sorted car you can afford. However, don’t be afraid to buy a car that has a few issues, especially if the price is right. If you are handy with a wrench, these things can be sorted over time, and wrenching on the car will allow you to become intimate with the mechanics of the car. A plus for the Stalker is that it’s a U.S. derived replica and parts are readily available over-the-counter at virtually any parts store.

Good luck. :seeya:

Thanks so much to everyone for all the great guidance!

Sounds like a Lotus is like the ol' Vette I had with the maintenance. That's not a big deal, I have experience doing that, and I enjoy working on those things when I get free time. That is, everything but rebuilding an engine - never tried nor want to mess with something of that complexity.

I've noticed lots of Sevens sell immediately. The few that haven't are usually from dealerships with bad reviews. That's why I love keeping my eyes open in these forums since its a well-knit community.

Thanks for the detailed information xcarguy! It is extremely useful. I won't focus so much on the weather gear, then. The weather compared to the North is perfect for a Lotus/Locost down here anyway. I have a garage anyway. I'll hit your profile and check out your build file - that will give me a really good idea of the fixes required.

I'm definitely leaning toward a Caterham or Birkin, then. Missed out on a V8 Caterham some months ago, but seeing as more cars will hit the market this Nov/Dec maybe I'll get lucky. Are Caterham parts significantly more expensive than those in a Stalker? That may have me leaning more toward a Brunton.

Quick question - for the Caterhams built with the driver on the right hand side, is the clutch still on the left and gas on the right? I've never seen pictures to answer that.

Thanks!

Caterhams imported to North America are LH drive. But you may find one that is RH drive like I have. It is a British made Locost. Pedals are the same as a LH drive. Russ

Cobra,

As locost7018 said, Caterhams are imported, as are Birkins; Caterhams from the U.K. and Birkins from South Africa. If parts are needed for either car, and not readily available state-side, getting the part may be an issue, and then there is the cost involved. Caterham and Birkin owners can chime in here and give you guidance.

Yes the pedal configuration is traditional but the left hand shift is the kicker. Takes a little getting used to but certainly should not be a deal breaker. Nothing like a quick shift for 3rd gear that mistakenly drops into 1st.

c

If you want to drive one, I'm in Birmingham. I just picked mine up, 1997 caterham live axle with 1700, last month from a great guy in Richmond, after looking at them for the past 20 years. I was hooked by reruns of the prisoner when I was a kid.

If you want to drive one, I'm in Birmingham. I just picked mine up, 1997 caterham live axle with 1700, last month from a great guy in Richmond, after looking at them for the past 20 years. I was hooked by reruns of the prisoner when I was a kid.

That's a very generous offer JRP, thanks! I might take you up on that in a couple weeks when my fiance can come along. The Caterhams are absolutely beautiful and I bet you're enjoying every second in yours. I was hooked too as a kid as my dad loved that show, then in college I got hooked and couldn't stop thinking about them. Now with some years of saving, I can't wait to have one one day. I'll PM you in the next few days, and again really appreciate the offer.