Caterham SV Flood Car up for Auction

scannon

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way too much for a flood car. It will be interesting to see if this car turns up for sale sometime in the future and whether it will still have a salvage title. Here's the VIN from the sale page for future reference: DRMVB0000156802M0 I'm guessing that is a state assigned VIN from Missouri.

The Kirkham Cobra went for $61k.

Edited by scannon

Way too much for a flood car. It will be interesting to see if this car turns up for sale sometime in the future and whether it will still have a salvage title. Here's the VIN from the sale page for future reference: DRMVB0000156802M0 I'm guessing that is a state assigned VIN from Missouri.

The Kirkham Cobra went for $61k.

Sold - WOW, $22,100.

Too rich for me, but makes me want a 7 even more.

Crazy money for both of those cars. :ack:

I didn't bid but had thought about it. At 22K plus another $1,100 in fees thats 23.2K. I felt too much for a flood damaged car that may be just fine but has the potential to be very needy upon arrival and/or later.

OTOH- the Kirkham might not be such a bad deal. Not sure what engine it had in it but these can be an easy 110K and they're works of art. Have had the pleasure of driving a friends and they're pretty hairy. I call his Brutus!

Congratulations on whoever got it. Hope they'll share how it turns out.

Guess I'll have to keep looking.

Jim A.

Skip - that was a good move posting the VIN here. Sadly it is too easy to launder titles these days and it may stop a potential buyer from being unknowingly burned.

$22.1k plus the auction premium (5%?) was a good price for the auction - fully valued for the insurance company selling. Not much left in it for the buyer though (assuming no shipping costs) - I do hope it works out well for them.

Yes quite a bit of money for a Zetec car even with a six speed. I have a friend who does software for salvage auction companies. It's a big business and you would be surprised what the salvage cars bring. One of the companies he worked for would auction hundreds of cars every Thursday and there are many locations across the country that are that size. You wonder where all the cars with salvage titles go.

The stuff that is wrong with flood damaged cars is not always what you might think. The driveline itself is sealed pretty well because of emissions if nothing else. Its the electronics on most modern cars that give problems.

I bought an E46 BMW that was flood damaged. Replaced the seat motors, air bag computer, alternator and idler (bearings). Then I drove it 90K miles without a problem. Had to dry or replace the ABS/DSC sensors too.

Luckily the electronics on a 7 are pretty simple and made to be installed/replaced after the car leaves the factory. I can't speak to drying out the frame however.

Before buying any used car, always go to the National Insurance Crime Bureau webiste https://www.nicb.org/. It has a free database of cars totaled by member insurance companies caused by flood damages or unrecovered theft.

This car was not listed, likely due to the nonstandard VIN.

Edited by lucky dawg

Skip - Good call on the VIN being from Missouri. The original owner lives here in St. Louis. Seven was purchased from and built by Rocky Mountain Sports Car.

I drove it once when it was new, and it was much quicker than my Crossflow. :)

Steve

Skip - Good call on the VIN being from Missouri. The original owner lives here in St. Louis. Seven was purchased from and built by Rocky Mountain Sports Car.

I drove it once when it was new, and it was much quicker than my Crossflow. :)

Steve

Steve,

My friend who owned the car when it was flooded lives in Lyons, Colorado. He must have bought it from the St. Louis owner. I know he was not the original owner. You might want to pass along the info about the car to the original owner.

Skip

• 5 years later...