2010 Birkin

JeffersonRaley

On Monday I bought this 2010 Birkin originally built by Texas Motor Works. I've driven a few different Sevens on track days, and have been promising myself I'd buy one since the first time I drove a Caterham Superlight. Awesome cars. It's the only thing I've driven that is more fun than my Elise was, and I've had the good fortune to track some pretty great cars.

This one has a Duratec, wide track suspension, IRS, GAZ shocks and an electric water pump. It is painted Lotus Chrome Orange, which is a pearlescent color used on Elises.

Right now the car is in Florida waiting for a truck to bring it back to its new home in Austin. I thought about road tripping it back, but the Winter weather and my work schedule convinced me otherwise. Hoping to have it by the weekend for some track time at Harris Hill Road. :)

Looking forward to tuning the suspension and tweaking the aero to lessen front lift. But all of that can wait until I get a few track hours on it.

IMG_1705.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Jeff,

Hope all is going well with the Birkin. I found another photo of your car back from when it was brand spanking new. I was over visiting Dick Brink one day and we took the car to lunch. I took this photo in the parking lot of the restaurant.

. . . . :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...
Jeff,

Hope all is going well with the Birkin. I found another photo of your car back from when it was brand spanking new. I was over visiting Dick Brink one day and we took the car to lunch. I took this photo in the parking lot of the restaurant.

Actually, I blew the motor at MSR Cresson a few months ago. I suspect that the previous owner's amateur Haltech tuning efforts caused the failure. It also could have been oil starvation under braking. Either way it is getting an AT Power dry sump on the replacement engine. Also going with stronger pistons and forged crank. I should get a little more power. More importantly, it should last well on the track. Dick Brink is doing the work because I just don't have time. Hoping to have it back in a couple of weeks.

Actually, I blew the motor at MSR Cresson a few months ago. I suspect that the previous owner's amateur Haltech tuning efforts caused the failure. It also could have been oil starvation under braking. Either way it is getting an AT Power dry sump on the replacement engine. Also going with stronger pistons and forged crank. I should get a little more power. More importantly, it should last well on the track. Dick Brink is doing the work because I just don't have time. Hoping to have it back in a couple of weeks.

Jeff,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune at Cresson. Glad you're getting the car back on the road . . . better, stronger. Once up and running, when will you be back at Cresson? We should try and do a track day together if possible. :cheers:

Shane

Jeff,

A few months ago, I was searching through Cresson vids and ran across this. I think it is your car on track back when John (original owner) had the car.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll take it to Cresson many times - we definitely need to hook up. Still waiting to get it back, hopefully next weekend. Then I have to break the new engine in before I can really thrash it.

I am also looking at a Race Technologies Video 4 system. I like the ChaseCam hardware a lot more, but I prefer the Race Technologies analysis software. Either way I'll be posting videos of the process as I learn the car.