The Regular Summary of Classified Ads of Se7ens Found For Sale

Croc

Guest tipridr
Not sure who you were directing your comment at, but for the record I agree with you. A potential purchaser must make the effort to inspect in person before purchasing. My first US seven was rubbished on this forum when it came up for sale but I ended up buying it at a good price and doing a bit of sorting so it became a great car. While a seven may have had a difficult build by TMW it is the actions of the owner post-TMW that determine how good and well sorted it ends up or whether it is still flawed. Inspection will clarify. At the price the Birkin in question is being offered at I am smelling an opportunity for a buyer.

However, an inadequately detailed ad or an ad with stupidly high pricing will get a pithy response from me because it (a) shows a seller does not care, (b) is lazy, and/or © is trying to pull a quick one over some unsuspecting buyer. If they will do that in an ad then it does the car for sale a disservice. However, I know not every seller agrees with me as I have 3 cease and desist legal letters in the last year (all from dealers) from my comments on this thread to prove it.

The comment was directed toward the gentleman that inferred any potential buyer should look up past threads on Texas Motor Works- I would admit that my experience with that firm was less than optimal - but I feel its unfair to label this car a POS until its been inspected and driven- Your comments and the service you provide to this forum are appreciated- alas I probably fall into the "lazy" category with my current ad- the price is right but the pictures are pretty bad.

I know not every seller agrees with me as I have 3 cease and desist legal letters in the last year (all from dealers) from my comments on this thread to prove it.

I never knew you were such a troublemaker Mike!! :smilielol5:

Please accept my sympathies for the loss of your husband. Its clearly a difficult time for you dealing with the estate issues when your mind is probably elsewhere.

You have not given much to go on with here for constructing a value or even a potential ad so that you get the right value out of the sale. These cars are so individual and customized in spec that their value can move significantly based on a few choice options. My guess is it will sit between $19-25k with the final price being dependent on the spec. I am going to ask some questions to see if we can help discern the specifications better to price it more fairly.

1) Which state is it titled in and what is it titled as?

2) I guess it has the 2L Zetec engine. Do the receipts say what work was done to increase/improve power? More hp = high value for the most part.

3) I am pretty sure it will have the Ford Sierra T-9 5 speed gearbox. I don't know

4) Some photos of the engine bay, front, side, rear will help us see what options were added. Two options for adding photos - upload them onto a free photo bucket account website or size them so you can just upload them here (they don't allow big uploads on this site). If all else fails you can email me the photos and I can host them on my site and post them on this forum.

5) Do you know who he bought it from (was it a dealer or private individual without revealing name) and which state. We may be able to find it on this forum through its past owner.

6) Are all pieces on the car or are there bits and spares not installed but stored in the garage. These are worth money if they are listed out in an ad. Clearly the Birkini top is one of them.

7) Did he do any competition with the Birkin? Some of these modifications are costly and worth spelling out to a potential purchaser.

I am not sure if anyone from the club is local to you to read the various invoices/receipts and assemble together what the spec is? Tom Carlin of Birkin America is located in Eagle CO if that is anywhere near you. If no one is local to you then let me know in a Private Mail on this forum, I can arrange a phone call where you can read the receipts out for me over the phone and I can assemble it in writing that you can use for the forthcoming ad. No fee or cost - just trying to help the seven community.

When it comes time for selling, these cars are somewhat unique. They may take longer to sell than a regular car since purchasers are fewer. The best places for advertising them are:

- an ad on this USA7s forum

- EBay

- Hemmings (under the Lotus 7 category)

These get the best spread of coverage across the country for potential purchasers.

Hope this helps

mike

Many Thanks,

Yes, that is helpful! I will get to work on that list. I think the car was shipped to us from Montana and I believe the previous owner raced it quite a lot. It has a manufacturers certificate of origin (South Africa). Is that significant?

Cassandra, let us know your location and maybe someone here will be nearby and able to inspect/drive the car and offer an opinion on its value? Many of us have long-suffering wives who have put up with our car crazyness. Therefore many of us would be happy to help another owner's spouse.

Hi All,

I thought the CA "2014" TMW car was sold to someone on the forum (Kevin?), but now it seems it's still on ebay?...

Also, the 2005 Birkin seems like an ok starting place; however, it seemed like fairly big money for an '05. I've made initial email contact with the seller, but have been busy with taxes... ugh. What say the experts (on the '05 Birkin, not taxes, we don't want to go there)

Thanks,

Dan

Cassandra, let us know your location and maybe someone here will be nearby and able to inspect/drive the car and offer an opinion on its value? Many of us have long-suffering wives who have put up with our car crazyness. Therefore many of us would be happy to help another owner's spouse.

That is kind of you but I am /the car is in Maine and I am guessin that we are a long way from anyone on this forum!

Could it have been Dave's? Is it Blue and aluminum?

Well, it is dark green and aluminum but my spouse had it painted. I don't remember its former color but it belonged to David . I just looked it up.

Edited by Cassandra
My bad for revealing a full name

Well, it is dark green and aluminum but my spouse had it painted. I don't remember its former color but it belonged to David . I just looked it up.

Bingo - Montana, Dave and Birkin was only ever going to lead to one person! The former owner's profile name is Davemk1 - obviously for Dave. He is active on USA7s with his new Westfield seven. There are 2 threads on your husband's car including photos

The intro thread

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/showthread.php?751-Montana-Birkin&highlight=sale

And the for sale thread - this will help you write the ad.

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/showthread.php?4204-1999-Birkin-S3&highlight=sale

It was a well loved and sorted car with a decent specification.

All we need now is to find out what modifications your husband made that could improve the value. I know shocks are expensive based on a set I bought so that is one. Engine work to improve the power is two.

I have friends in Scarborough ME (I used to live in Portland - in the Old Port!) that I can ask for remote help if needed here. I am due to visit them in early June if things drag out that far.

Bingo - Montana, Dave and Birkin was only ever going to lead to one person! The former owner's profile name is Davemk1 - obviously for Dave. He is active on USA7s with his new Westfield seven. There are 2 threads on your husband's car including photos

The intro thread

All we need now is to find out what modifications your husband made that could improve the value. I know shocks are expensive based on a set I bought so that is one. Engine work to improve the power is two.

I have friends in Scarborough ME (I used to live in Portland - in the Old Port!) that I can ask for remote help if needed here. I am due to visit them in early June if things drag out that far.

Wow, I am impressed. Thankyou. Small world!

I am looking at the receipts and I have difficulty distinguishing repair/maintenance from upgrade but I'll run a few things by you. There is an expensive engine overhaul - he had it removed and about 35 different parts were replaced (belts,hoses of all sorts, hose clamps, gasket sets and seals of all sorts, cylinder head work,head studs, Zetec starter, timing component kit, new oil pump) There is a bill from TechStar- were these the parts that eventually went into the engine overhaul? I have no idea!?

"Core-Bareblock Zetec, 4pc Piston set Supertech p4-FZ85-P3 10.6:1 compression ratio, Eagle Forged Chromoly H-Beam connecting rod set focus w Zetec 2.0, stud kit,clevite rod bearing and main bearing Zetec 2.0." There is another charge for a aluminum expansion tank and a new starter

He also purchased a trailer just for the car. Unconditional love in forged aluminum.

The intro thread

Wow,thankyou I am impressed-small world.

So I am trying to sort through the receipts and decipher between what is a repair/maintenance and what is an improvement. The biggest expense seems to have been the engine overhaul where the engine was removed and every sort of gasket,belt, hose, clamp and filter was replaced. The bigger charges were the high output Zetec starter, head studs, timing component kit. My son tells me that this operation installed a fuel injection system replacing whatever existed before. Do I sound like a blithering idiot yet?

There is also a big bill from TechStar for a 4 pc Piston set 10.6:1 compression ratio, Eagle forged chromoly H-beam connecting rod set, Zetec stud kit and bearing set....were these parts that went into the engine overhaul or is this something different? There is another receipt for an oil pump kit.

And then there is the trailer just for the car with a few custom touches within. Unconditional love in forged aluminum

There used to be Birkin in stonington area. Very nice owner: I may be able to dig up his number next week if it would help you?

p. To

Thankyou , everyone for the helpful advise. The Stonington owner would be my husband. I am not surprised he contributed to this forum. He probably did not reveal that he bought the car after his first cancer diagnosis. It was a bucket list sort of thing.

I am handing over the advise I have received to my son. His love of motor vehicles did not fall far from the tree but he is a bit young and footloose to take care of a Lotus at this time. Thanks again!