My new toy

yellowss7

I'm finally just about unpacked after picking up my new ride. It's starting to look at home in the garage. I rolled it out today and started to look it over. It's a lot different than my S3 Caterham. It really does look huge compared to the S3 chassis. The motor is big too. 2.3L vs 1.8L. 114 more HP too. It is set up ALOT lower than mine was as mine did dual duty on the road and track. This one is set up for a smooth track. Karl built a heck of a car. Everything is top notch and beautifully installed. I can't wait to learn how to use it. Here are a few pics from this morning's first inspection.

P7120834.jpg

P7120822.jpg

P7120820.jpg

P7120828.jpg

It's great to see that the car has effectively stayed in the family! :cheers:

What are your plans for the cars? Are you keeping both and setting up the yellow car for street use, or selling that one and planning some tweaks to make the new car a little more street friendly, or simply taking a wait-and-see approach?

As for changing your handle, I think it will be easier to simply paint the new car yellow :jester:

I'm still getting use to the idea that I have a new car. I've had the yellow one for 14 years, having done the original ordering and assembling of it. I never thought that I'd sell it. It is street legal, Registered and insured, and very docile on the street. I just undo 4 bolts take the Brooklands off, and put the windscreen on. Then take the slicks off and put the street tires on. The Cage is new this year, but can be removed with just 10 bolts and the original FIA bar reinstalled with about 6.

The new one is not really street ready as it would need the turn signals, handbrake, license plate light and horn installed, to make it really legal. Plus I haven't quite got the feel of the race clutch dialed in my brain yet. However, that's not an issue on the track, where this puppy likes to play.

I probably will eventually sell it, but I just have to convince myself it's time. I'm not a flip it type of guy.

As for color, I really like my Ferrari Yellow. (Giallo) but the Orange is starting to grow on me, I really like the pearlescent white and Lime green stripe look that I've seen on an R500, but I'm not there yet. Tom

Got the lift idea from my neighbor who has a couple of them to store a couple of his toys. I've had it for about 10 years or so, and stuck the porker under it. With my youngest getting married next year, I'll get another bay back. :cooldude:

What are your plans ....?

I think he is just itching to blast past me on track in a top speed demonstration of superiority for the first time! :jester:

His second plan will be to work out how to stop sliding around in the gigantic cockpit that the SV has :svengo:

I think his new profile name should be "Gingerly" as it describes the blended colors of orange and yellow and also describes how he uses the throttle now. :p

I think he is just itching to blast past me on track in a top speed demonstration of superiority for the first time! :jester:

His second plan will be to work out how to stop sliding around in the gigantic cockpit that the SV has :svengo:

I think his new profile name should be "Gingerly" as it describes the blended colors of orange and yellow and also describes how he uses the throttle now. :p

True, True and True. :svengo:

:confused: :confused: But I thought all someone had to do to blast by you on track was to wait for you to perform your famous impression of a farmer plowing his field??

:jester:

-John

:confused: :confused: But I thought all someone had to do to blast by you on track was to wait for you to perform your famous impression of a farmer plowing his field??

:jester:

-John

If Tom usally gets that award, he lost out to me this year. :smilielol5:

Had the new toy out on the track today. Starting to get comfortable with the gobs of power. Definitely a step up in the pecking order on track.

Obviously driving skills still need some work but the car just pulls like a freight train. No problem keeping any advantage in the turns now when I get to the straights.

Getting use to the paddle shifter and still getting use to the radial slicks vs the Bias ply hoosiers I run on the Yellow car. All in all a good day.

Did my fastest times on Lighting. Still not anywhere near what Karl did, and WAY off Shane's blistering laps, but Might have a shot a getting closer with a little more seat time. :drool::driving::driving:Tom

Had the new toy out on the track today. Starting to get comfortable with the gobs of power.

Tom

Fun, ain't it? :D

Tom, on a serious note, what are the notable differences between the radial vs. bias slicks (pros, cons, etc.)?

. . . . . . :lurk:

Shane, I can't say that I am at the limit yet as I'm still getting use to the feel of this car. The 10 inch wide Hoosier Bias slicks that I run on the yellow car give it a nice balanced feel and when I do get to the limit it is a gentle slide that I feel. Very progressive. Not that I get there that often.

The Orange car is set up really low compared to my Yellow car, and Karl put Nitron shocks on, and then add in the Radial tires, and the power and there are so many variables that I'm not sure after one day on track that I can even begin to analyze it.

I don't know how many heat cycles the tires currently have either so I will just say that it felt good, but I didn't have as much confidence in the grip that I could just let it rip thru the bowl on Lightning. I'm also a little afraid of the power as I did get it to wiggle in the 2 3 4 complex as I progressively pushed the car during the day. Just need to be smoother as it feels like I lit the afterburners, the kick in the seat is amazing. I can't begin to imagine what it's like for you with another 200 hp. :cooldude:

Shane, I can't say that I am at the limit yet as I'm still getting use to the feel of this car. The 10 inch wide Hoosier Bias slicks that I run on the yellow car give it a nice balanced feel and when I do get to the limit it is a gentle slide that I feel. Very progressive. Not that I get there that often.

The Orange car is set up really low compared to my Yellow car, and Karl put Nitron shocks on, and then add in the Radial tires, and the power and there are so many variables that I'm not sure after one day on track that I can even begin to analyze it.

I don't know how many heat cycles the tires currently have either so I will just say that it felt good, but I didn't have as much confidence in the grip that I could just let it rip thru the bowl on Lightning. I'm also a little afraid of the power as I did get it to wiggle in the 2 3 4 complex as I progressively pushed the car during the day. Just need to be smoother as it feels like I lit the afterburners, the kick in the seat is amazing. I can't begin to imagine what it's like for you with another 200 hp. :cooldude:

Tom,

Other than Roger Kraus, I've never talked to anyone who has firsthand experience with both bias ply and radial slicks, but from what I've read/researched, what you are telling me goes hand-in-hand with what I've gotten from Avon, Hoosier, Roger Kraus Racing, etc.; bias ply slicks give way progressively (so to speak) when loosing grip where as radials just sort of give it up rather aggressively. :ack: I've also read that radials are a bit heavier (tire for tire) than bias ply and require a bit more negative camber for full benefit.

• 6 months later...

Hi Tom,

It has been a while since I was on the site and was surprised to read this post and that you now have a new ride and toy.

Sometimes I miss m 7 clone and even think about building another one from time to time.

Good to see your enjoying life and having fun.

:driving: