2014 Westfield Mega S2000.

Davemk1

They are Compomotive crx 1310, the rears are 10 inch wide at ET-24 and 100mm back space, and inch fronts are ET 0 as i had them originally ordered for rears,their backspace is 100mm.Hope it helps.

It does help - thank you.

About how much room do you have in the rear between the rim edge and the upright hardware?

Thanks again,

dave

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd share the results of my first winter project. I wanted to be able to tow a small trailer to autocross events so I designed this quick connect hitch for the Westie.

There are 4 small plates bolted to the underside of the car that are receptacles for the hitch and they weigh 4 oz in total. The hitch goes on and off without any tools and it takes about 15 seconds to take it off and 30 to put it back on. The trailer has a tongue weight of only 30 lbs but the hitch will take my full body weight of 190 lbs bouncing up and down without issue so it should be more than strong and stiff enough.

Now I just need wheels and tires to put on the trailer.

Happy New Year all!

dave

DSC_7302.jpg

DSC_7316.jpg

DSC_7321.jpg

DSC_7334.jpg

Thanks for sharing. That center rear view mirror looks smaller than what comes with the kit. Is it stock? I never installed mine as the 2 outboard mirrors do a good job and the center blocks too much visibility in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing. That center rear view mirror looks smaller than what comes with the kit. Is it stock? I never installed mine as the 2 outboard mirrors do a good job and the center blocks too much visibility in my opinion.

It is not the stock mirror. I found the stock mirror to be way too big (blocked forward vision yet gave me a great rearward view of the seat headrests) so I mounted a small hotrod mirror to a custom bracket. Being so small and mounted so high it doesn't block the forward view at all but it's large enough to give a full effective out the rear. It's worked out very well.

dave

• 4 months later...

Hey -

A post in a different thread suggested I post a few more current photos of my Westfield Mega S2000. I've had it on the road for about 10 months and 3300 miles now and it's been nearly flawless. Nothing big has fallen off, the fluids haven't all gushed out in hot anger and it's never even hesitated to start. All good stuff.

I built it to use as a mixed street/autocross car and did a few events late last summer on street tires just to make sure everything worked and to get a good baseline. This spring I put it on rather fat slicks and the grip went up more than just a little bit as you might imagine. I opted for wide tires that are smaller in diameter to lower both the car and the gearing and it's working very well so far. My first event of the year I took my class and FTD and it should get better as I get the alignment optimized for the bias ply slicks (Hoosier 20 x 9 - 13's). The wheels are lightweight steel 13 x 10.

Over the winter I pulled the engine and installed a baffle in the sump and an aluminum flywheel and it rev's a good bit quicker now with a flywheel that weighs 1/2 of the stock Honda part. I also installed a new replacement limited slip diff sent by Westfield when the original started making evil banging noises. The new one is a Quaiffe and works perfectly and is quiet.

One thing that is new to me is trailering the car to events. I've always driven my race car to events......I had a Birkin S3 and a Lotus Elise that I drove 100 miles one way to events and rather liked it. But my wife liked it much less and wanted me to buy a trailer and start towing so that I wouldn't be on the interstate in the Westy. She gives me all the support in this odd hobby I could ever ask for so I got the trailer and at the first event backed the trailer into my own car - don't worry the trailer wasn't damaged! The damage to the nose cone was really limited and I got very lucky that I really just tapped the Seven. The tough part of repairing the Westy is that it's not painted but instead has a gel-coat finish that it near impossible to match. So I made zero attempt to match it and instead masked off the lips and had the body shop spray it the same color as my daily driver a Mini Cooper S. The color is Liquid Yellow. I like how it came out and took the opportunity of having the grill out to spray the Westfield logo white so that few folks would stare blankly at the car and ask what brand it is.

I'll be going back in at least one more time to tweak the alignment to work with the race tires (lowering ride height just a tad and reducing camber a bit) and then checking the corner weights and I should be good for a while.

Dinner time here - stay well.

dave

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Thx Dave-great way to start a Friday off! The before/after front tire shots are impressive!!! The mountains aren't bad either:)!

I also like the front license plate mod-it's first hot-rodded plate I have seen. Surprising how much visual enhancement is provided by the yellow nose ring, maybe I need to back into my se7en:)?

Edited by Kitcat

Thanks so much.

It's funny - one can drive most anything that rolls on the highway here in Montana as long as it has a front plate - it seems to be the only thing the cops really care about and I got pulled over a few times for not having one on the Birkin and Elise I'd owned in the past and thought it best to not 'invite' such visits in the future. But finding a way to attach a plate to the front of the Westy was problematic. I didn't want to drill any holes in the bodywork and I didn't want the attachment or the plate to damage the car should I whack a cone with that part of the car.

So the plate has a few bends it in and it is only attached to the splitter and had a foam backing where it sits against the nose. This allows the splitter to flex upward and the plate with it doing no damage to the nose and for the most part the plate looks normal to a cop passing by. State law says the plate can't be modified in size or shape but it doesn't say it can't be bent....and it seems that 1/2 the front plates on cars here are bent up pretty good from being pushed into snow banks during the winter and no one gets pulled over for this reason.

As for the different tire/wheel sizes - it works out well that the skinny street tires are taller and they allow room to get over speed bumps and the such and the smaller race wheels/tires lower the car by just over an inch and of course lower the weight and gearing so that it will pull much harder out of slow corners. So I use the 205/50-15's on the street and the 9 x 20 - 13 tires for solo and I get ground clearance on the street and low ride height on course. The smaller tires would limit top speed on track but this isn't a concern with solo.

I'm looking forward to this weekend and come canyon carving and next weekend for some solo.

dave

5.jpg

Most se7ens that auto-X also run "cone catchers" before the rear fenders (Metal bar that extends out and hits the cone, saving the fragile fender from damage). Are you taking your chances, or are the Westfield's fenders sturdier than Caterham's?

Most se7ens that auto-X also run "cone catchers" before the rear fenders (Metal bar that extends out and hits the cone, saving the fragile fender from damage). Are you taking your chances, or are the Westfield's fenders sturdier than Caterham's?

I did that on my Birkin whose fenders felt like they were made of paper mache. The one side is protected by the exhaust pretty well and that helps.....combine that with the fact that Westfield made the things really strong and heavy and it seems to be a non-issue so far. I opted for the detachable rear fenders (stock they are moulded one piece with the main body) so I can remove them if repair is needed or I can just replace the if need be.

All that said I've hit a few with the rear fenders and they didn't show and sign of stress.

dave

• 6 months later...

Hello All -

I just wanted to show off the die-cut Westfield decal that Manik recently had made. I wanted to fly the Westfield flag a bit higher and the big logo certainly does that.

Lots of mechanical upgrades and some weight reduction happening this winter and I'm very excited for spring autocross season to come.

Happy New Year!

dave

DSC_1678.jpg

DSC_1689.jpg

Good question - it's the standard Westfield logo but I don't know the origin of the sunburst design. Maybe it's an homage to all the sun they see in England?........maybe not.

I'm sure there could be more Sevens in the state that I know of but to my knowledge there are three - two Birkins in the northern part of the state and mine Westfield in the southwest. That makes 147,000 square miles and three Sevens.

I see many exotic cars online and in magazines that have MT plates that I'm sure have never set a wheel on the ground here but no emissions testing makes it a desirable place to register one. I wonder how many Seven's are registered here?

dave

where is the rotrex supercharger?

Why of course I'm still waiting for you to send me one!

I have ordered a set of Omex ITB's specifically designed to work with the Westfield. The throttle response is supposed to be very quick and it looks like I'll see about a 15-20 ft/lbs bump at 5000 rpms and 15hp over most of the curve. Should be nice. It won't have the extreme bump that a blower has but it will have better throttle response and keep it legal for my SCCA solo class.

I'll know in about 4-6 weeks how it all works.

dave

Looks great. YOu will love the Honda engine.

I have been loving it for over a year and a half - about 5500 miles on the car since I got it on the road. I look forward to the ITB's adding just a bit of midrange grunt.

dave

• 1 month later...

I've been working on the car getting it ready for the upcoming solo season and doing my best to drop some weight and increase the power a bit. Most weight savings changes don't look like much but this one does. I've installed an aeroscreen in place of the windshield and dropped 20 pounds while reducing drag in a real way. So far I'm up to 67 lbs of savings this winter with another 15-20 to go before the first event.

Next up is the carbon dash and lighter battery and then onto the big one - Omex ITB's for the S2000 powerplant.

Fun stuff.

dave

DSC_1945.jpg

DSC_1942.jpg

• 9 months later...