Bandimere - Went for a Spin

MightyMike

I took my Storker out to Bandimere Speedway again. My first launch wasn't bad, but tire spin was noticeable all the way down the track - kinda scary. At least I didn't have too much wheel hop. I really need a pair of drag radials.

The poor guy on the right busted an axle shaft on his Subaru.

http://i60.tinypic.com/30bzps0.jpg

http://youtu.be/5xqXmZNGq64

I took my Storker out to Bandimere Speedway . . . . . tire spin was noticeable all the way down the track - kinda scary.

Hehehe . . . . . love it. Some sticky Micky's and launch right at the end of the last yellow and . . . . :party:

Mike,

If I can ever get out to Denver to hook up, I hope it's on a weekend so we can hit the drags. Watching your vids brings back a few good memories of Baileyton, Alabama.

. . . . :cheers:

Edited by xcarguy

Bandimere Speedway is only 5-mins from my place. There's something going on almost every day.

The nearest road course is almost 90-miles away. If you are in the neighborhood, we can go out there too.

If Denver pops up on the radar, I'll give you a shout out. :D

It's not an altitude issue; it's a tire spin issue (tons of torque even at a mile high). And launching at the end of the last yellow (no, you won't red light if the technique is performed properly) will immediately yield a half a second off the time. Once the Mightiest of Mikes :D gets the car dialed in with different tires, launch technique and maybe some experimenting with various shift techniques (maybe a second-to-third shift at 6K rather than 6500, for example), yuo'll see the times drop significantly. I dare say that Mike will be running in the 10"s within the year. Getting the car dialed in/getting the driver sccustomed to the car is a process that takes time and multiple trips to the strip. :)

X, I agree with most of what you are saying... But...

Leaving on the last yellow will improve your reaction time, but not your ET. ET starts when you break the beams. Helps you win the race, but not lower your time.

My understanding is that lower (sea level) tracks equate to more HP. Again, that won't help the ET if tire spin is already the limiting factor, but it should increase trap speed.

Drag radials will make this interesting. Doesn't look like I'll have mine this year either. Too bad, because my 23" RR slicks won't be ideal for the strip.

Thanks for sharing Mike!

Do you launch in 1st or 2nd? What is your rear tire now?

Z,

You're right. I stand corrected; gotta break the beam to start the time. Sorry, it's the competitive thinking coming out; beat the other guy across the finish line. :D

And yes, more HP at MSL than at altitude, but minor with Mike's car. Got to get rid of the tire spin and hook up the power. I still say 10's are in the table. :)

I am looking forward to trying our Seven on the drag strip at LOG 34. Based on what i have read it should run somewhere in the 20 - 28 second range. Less than 1250 pounds with driver and fuel running a board out 948cc BMC-A engine.

Inexperience and tire spin really slow me down. Starting in 2nd gear, the lack of traction is noticeable all the way down the track, especially when shifting. Drag radials are on tap for next year. Will probably go with 275/40-17s. At present, rears are Hankook RS3s 255/40-17.

Edited by MightyMike
forgot something

• 3 weeks later...

Went out to High Plains Raceway last weekend for my first track day with my Storker. The car's capabilities far exceeded my talent. Even so, my wife and I had a blast. She now wants to get out there and drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_2tYVH4W8E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Gbny2wggw

In case you're wondering, in the first video, I forgot to secure the passenger side hood latch - my bad.

Two comments. First, that Miata you passed at 3:20 seems to have had the gear selector in R for 'race'. :) and second, I don't know what kind of muffler you have but it seems to do an excellent job of muffling.

Glad you had fun. :)

Not sure what brand of mufflers, but they look like cherry bombs with 4" inlet and outlets. I think the clear plastic GoPro case muffles the noise to a large degree.

I was hitting anywhere between 125 to 129 on the long straight. My speeds were getting faster as I started getting onto the throttle sooner after the first turn.

• 8 months later...

Found it! Get those DRs on there Mike!

I have a pair of 275/40/17 Mickey Thompson's coming from Summit. We'll see how quick an LS3 Storker can go, or what the weak point is in the drive line (I have the IRS in mine). LOL

I am currently running similar numbers to you for similar reasons (tire spin through 1/2 track). I had two good passes on a well prepped, warm track and dropped my 60' from 2.2s to a 1.8 (on 25.5 road race Hoosiers). That was good for a 11.4 @124. Then when the track cooled I was back in the 12s, all over the 12s dependent on how much tire spin. I attribute my slightly higher trap speed to my lower altitude and LS9 cam. But I bet with traction you will run similarly quick!

Edited by subtlez28