T-9 fransmission leaks

gjslutz

Reason I mention, is I chased a weird leak on one of the racers for quite a while. Turned out to be excessive porosity in the bellhouse casting in the area of the shift rail recess. Looked fine when new...but after a few heat/cold soakings, fine fissures could be seen by eye. In the early stages, it would only leak when hot, but later, all the time under dynamic conditions (when oil was being splashed on the shift rail, shift rail in motion, hard brake application, etc)

Took 4 R&R's to finally find it. Drove me batty.

Just sayin....

Chip

Sorry if I'm not clear, at the top of the bellhousing,on the face that mates with the gearbox, there is a drilling to recieve the front of the shift rail where it protrudes from the transmission case. The aluminum casting in that area (on the bellhousing) was porous.

More... there is no internal seal for the shift rail so the recess (drilling) in the bellhousing comminicates directly with the oil/vapors in the transmission. The .0015" annular space between the shift rail and the bore in the transmission case can pass oil into this recess in the bellhousing.

Sorry I'm slow, but I got it thanks. I saw on one of the sites a post where someone did an epoxy repair for this. I was in the process of replacing the blocker springs for 1/2 syrnco. I broke my snap ring pliers. #X**

Gary

David,

I sure would like to see the TSB's as there are several of us with leaking T-9's. I don't want to pull mine till I get all the info on what to look for first.

I hate to do an R&R more than once. I have done it 3 times so far trying to cure an oil leak.

gjslutz1 (at) roadrunner.com

Gary