WCM Ultralite S2k - New First-time 7 Owner

reid.duff

What's up everyone! I'm in search of some professional help. :classic_biggrin:

My WCM's previous owner utilized a Ford 8.8" rear diff, beefy Ford axles and uprights. Between the mounting points of the ford uprights (compared to the original subaru ones) and the axles, the rear geometry doesn't allow for adequate suspension travel, and has some big bump steer. The previous owner had used 10" rear springs that made for an odd ride height but allowed for some suspension articulation.  

My plan is to retain the Ford diff, use the original Subaru uprights (which I've bought), and have some Ford-to-Subaru axles made to mate the two.

Issue is my young kids and job take almost all my free time & energy. My preferred fabricator/mechanic (has worked on my S2000) doesn't have availability to take on the job. I'm hopefully there may be a race shop or craftsman somewhere between Birmingham and Nashville that might be able to help. Any recommendations are definitely welcomed!

That could be a big job, all things considered. Some pics of what you have with a wheel off and the new uprights could be helpful to gauge what is involved. Do you have the original control arm specs and dimensions? Hand brake and brake balance changes? Reusing same coilovers but new springs or relocated arm attachment? Do you have the cv shafts that would be cut and used for mock up to check clearances before sending out to be made to order? Most replacement cv shafts these days do not have oem spec female splines and individual replacement cv joints in general are not offered anymore.

It might be a lot easier to correct with a custom steel upright than to change everything. I don't know how different the ford upright is from the subbie. The subbie awd joints are likely smaller with a smaller axle shaft that should be smaller than the spline minor dim, and likely taper so they will provide some twist (maybe use 300m).

Since you are not talking about adding a torsen to the open diff, it sounds like you just need to fix the bumpsteer and travel problems. Your guy may have time to make new arms for you.