A GOOD driver in a new Z06

slngsht

Corvette forum member Ranger who lives in Maryland is known as the fastest quartermile guy around. He has consistantly extracted the best times out of stock, or close to stock cars. One of the things he is known for is running consistant 11.8s on a COMPLETELY stock C5 Z06 (with stock tires). The normal times for the C5 Z06 is 12.4 with a decent driver. This guy is a machine, and a nice guy to boot.

Well, apparently he got his hands on a new C6 Z06. This is what he ran on completely stock Z06 with DOT legal drag radials:

60'........1.679 3650 launch rpm with a fast clutch release and fast throttle squeeze

330'......4.625

660'......7.046 102.61

1000'.....9.114

1320'...10.856 129.50

Density altitude at the time of the pass was negative 850 feet on my TAG weather station. Air temperature was 51 degrees. Barometer was excellent and humidity was low.

Track surface temperature was 60 degrees

10.856 on a stock production car http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/images/emoticons/eek6.gif

this is a quote of various posts on his drag racing advice. It's geared towards the vette, but alot of applies to any car:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a compendium of posts previously made here and on the other forum. At some point I'll try to find the time to do some editing. In the meantime, hope it helps new racers improve their times.

Some Basics

Here's a quote from a 2001 post by the Bowerboy, a famous Corvette drag racer.

With an old/stock clutch your options are limited. You will have to hold your RPM's below 3K and slip it slightly. If you had an upgraded clutch (not stock or Z06) I would recommend launching at 3500 to 4000RPM with a slight slip. The type of Tire you will use will also drive your launch.

If you are running stock tires, keep your launch below 2500 RPM regardless of clutch type. If you are running a drag radial, make sure you sufficiently heat them with a burnout before staging. Either way make sure your stage shallow.

The following is a description of staging shallow: The are 2 yellow lights which indicate the staging area. They are separated by 7 inches. When the track worker waves you up you approach the lights and as your car rolls you will turn on the top light first (pre-stage). As soon as the first light goes on, stop. Then slowly nudge your car forward until the second light goes on (staged). Stop immediately! When you launch your car, the clock does not start until you break the beam of both the pre-stage and stage lights (the starting line).

As soon as both lanes are staged (The staged light in each lane is lit), the first of three large yellow lights will light. On the third yellow light begin your launch. With a shallow stage. your car will have a few inches to begin rolling before the stage lights are triggered indicating you official start.

Once under way, quick shifts improve ET and MPH. Be sure to max out your RPMs without hitting the rev limiter. I shift at red-line minus 300 rpm. On your 1st to 2nd shift, power shifting (leaving your foot on the gas to the flow as you depress the clutch and make your shift) is not recommended do to traction. The 2nd to 3rd shift can realize a significant gains with a power shift however, this is the trickiest to maneuver (directional angle of the path between 2 and 3). The 3rd to 4th shift is the easiest to power shift.

Here are a link that also may provide some info:

First an optimum launch rpm must be established which is a function of ambient temperature, sun load, track surface, tire temperature, vehicle loading .... An optimum launch will allow enough wheel spin so that when the tires "hook up" to the pavement there is not a loss in vehicle acceleration."

Launching a Z06 on Stock Tires

Here is what I do. No claim it's the best way.

Competition mode. AC and audio system off. Windows up. Tire pressure 44-48 psi (front); 24-28 psi (rear).

Try 2800 rpm. Increase or decrease the rpm 200-300 each run until you find the sweet spot for your conditions.

Engage the clutch over the first 2 to 10 feet of movement depending on conditions. Go WOT ONLY once the tires are hooked, and do so by squeezing the pedal progressively to the floor.

If you do some practice on old blacktop and ambient outside temp is around 75, you ought to be able to launch leaving only about 10 feet of rubber.

Another key is on the 1st-2d shift. Ease the throttle just enough to avoid a lot of wheel spin, which will hurt your time. When I began drag racing the Z06, I shifted to 2d at an indicated 6200, 3d at 6300-6400 and 4th at 6400. Objective is to shift as high as you can without hitting the rev-limiter.

What you are after is developing the launch "touch" combining input from all yours senses. I can feel the tires spin in the steering wheel, clutch pedal,