Crossflow pressure gauge ohm rating

jrp1971

Found this on Blatchat:

Gareth

You can check the oil pressure sender with a meter. Pull the connection off the sender and connect an ohm meter between the terminal on the sender and earth. It should read somewhere between about 3Kohms and 4 Kohms. If it's open or short circuit, you have a duff sender, but I don't think this is the cause of your problems. But worth checking while you're at it.

The oil pressure gauge itself will have 3 connections (apart from the panel lamp). If you can take the gauge out (it has two handtight knurled nuts at the back) disconnect the plug that goes to it and measure the resistance between the 3 terminals (ie: if we call them A,B & C, measure A to B, B to C and A to C. The two smaller resistances you measure should add up to the larger one. I don't know exactly what the values should be, but knowing the oil pressure sender is around 3.5 Kohms, I would estimate that the resistances you measure at the gauge will be of the order of 450 ohms, 800 ohms and their total (1250 ohms). The actual values may be different but shouldn't be something weird like hugely high or zero.

Chris