Jump to content


Registered User
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About awatkins

  • Rank
    Junior Member

Personal Information

  • Location
    SF Bay Area, California
  • Se7en
  1. A suggestion based on years and years of chasing people by telephone: #1 if you are told someone will call you back, ask when you should expect a call back, #2 If that answer is reasonable call back no later than 24 hrs. past that deadline, if #3 is not reasonable call back every two days until you get a response. Squeaky wheel, etc.... And BTW, if your first email isn't answered within 48 hrs., send one more stating that it's a resend, give that 24 hrs., then get on the phone (see above).
  2. Take a look at the appropriate form to see what they say about your own labor. I don’t remember the details.
  3. Under current rules (unlike a few years ago) you really can’t start early because (I have read)) you can’t get your sequence number until the car is complete; you have to get brake and light or CHP inspection first (I don’t remember which). In addition, in principle, you can’t pay your use tax until the car is complete because you don’t know how much of your own labor is used to build it, and you are taxed on your own labor, which you report as part of the application. Even if you could do that, if you changed your mind, became disabled, died, etc. before finishing the process, you would wa
  4. Here is an old but good treatment of how to get through SB100: http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/bay-area-cobra-club/101739-sb100-conference-mustang-ranch.html#post1013652 Orher good sources are the club cobra, GT40s.com, factory five, etc forums.
  5. The EPA docs came from you. The others are scattered and I don’t know any particular links off hand. Most of my SB100 knowledge is in my head from doing it years ago. Just Google kit car, replica, SB100, Special construction, etc.
  6. There are two different sets of laws in this discussion: California SB100 which says you can register a self-built replica of something originally made before around '68 but you have to buy the engine from a different business than the one that sold you the chassis (or kit), and if you do that it needs to comply only with pre-72 emission laws, which require nothing but a PCV. Federal Clean Air act. It says among other things that you can't play games by pretending an engine in one box and a chassis or kit in another is not really a whole car.
  7. “I thought buying the drivetrain from a different company on a different invoice helps to circumvent that issue?” Which issue are you referring to?
  8. "The production, sale and importation of vehicle parts (engines, transmissions, chassis, vehicle bodies, etc.) are not regulated by EPA because parts are not considered motor vehicles under the Clean Air Act. However if the parts constitute a disassembled vehicle or an approximate disassembled vehicle, the combination is considered a motor vehicle under the Clean Air Act. Any attempt to use this policy to circumvent the Clean Air Act or the Imports regulations will be considered a violation of the Clean Air Act and will be strictly enforced. An example of such circumvention is: A kit c
  9. Which exact EPA text do you see as stating special situations where the Clean Air Act does not apply?
  10. Tom -- Really important question: did the BAR people point you to those documents? If not, why do you think they are related to your situation? KnifeySpooney — Please read this text from the ARB web site at (https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/spmv_test.htm): ”SB 100 allows up to 500 specially constructed vehicles per year to be assembled and registered for on-road use, the individual builder/owner is given the option to choose the vehicle’s make and model year based on the representation of how the vehicle looks or its engine configuratio
  11. KnifeySpooney -- Is yours registered under SB100 in California? If so where exactly (in which field) on the MSO does it say that? In particular, what does it say in the "year" field, the "make" field, and the "model" field?
  12. No. I’ve never heard of an SB100 engine needing to meet any federal standard when the car in question is listed as a replica of (in this case) a Lotus Seven, because when Lotus Sevens were made there were no federal emission standards. The whole point of SB100 is that you are registering a replica of a vehicle from before there was significant smog control, as you should have stated in your application and hopefully on the MSO. For example, If you state (as I and my MSO did) “replica of 1966 Ford GT40” then your engine needs to meet only the CA standards in effect in 1966 (which was havi
  13. Our thoughts are with you.
  14. The SPCN rules as described on the DMV site (https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/driver-education-and-safety/educational-materials/fast-facts/specially-constructed-spcns-vehicles-ffvr-23/) state: "Some nonresident vehicle registration applicants may be issued an SPCNS certificate of sequence when the out-of-state title identifies the vehicle make as SPCNS, homemade, assembled, etc. and the vehicle meets the SPCNS definition per CVC 580" First of all, note the use of "some" and "may." Second, if that is the only governing language on this subject then it may be that you canno
  15. “You still have too go through sb100 if you are registering a kit car from out of state.” There are at least three different cases: out of state but never registered, registered out of state as special construction, or registered out of state as ordinary vehicle. To which one(s) are you referring?
  • Create New...