Spring Texas Hill Country tour

WestTexasS2K

Bernie, 7evin is converting the maps to an pdf format for me to post.

I went saturday pre-drove the route for the tour, 800 miles total. I checked out the Hotel it is a clean nice place with ample parking. I looked at a room and it was clean and well furnished. I also found a restaurant that will accomadate us for a meal on Sat. night.

I had to modify the 1st day route a little bit due to highway construction that had about 7 miles of the pavement removed and was now a gravel road. It is going to cause a deviation in the route, but glad I drove it to avoid this problem.

There are some amazing roads that I didnt know existed in Texas. We are in for a real treat. We have two sections that are about 45 miles long each that are loaded with tight winding curves and roller coaster hills that were a pure blast in my wifes Civic Si and I cant wait to get a 7 on these roads. The remaining roads are very nice twisty roads that follow along the Guadalupe and Frio rivers. Most of them are narrow 2 lane with double yellow most of the time so finding places to pass slower folks can get a little challenging.

I have done 2 routes for day one. One route is 215 miles the other is 300 miles. The 215 mile route will take about 6 hrs with a lunch stop and a few breaks. The 300 will take close to 8 hrs if you take an 1hr lunch and a few stops. There is gas stations in Leakey and Campwood as well as a few places to eat. There was an outdoor BBQ stand in Leaky that had a live band that is called the Hog Pen that was very busy so it must be good. There is also a new Texaco station on the west side of town that has a Subway in it.

We will be eating at Momacitas in Kerrville at 6:30 p.m so an early start should be planned. For us to get back in time to clean up and make it to the restaraunt.

If you are in Texas you need to do this event. You will not be disappointed. There has been only 4 hotel rooms reserved so far so in the words of Larry the Cable guy GET-ER-DONE.

I must say that anyplace called Kerville (curve-ville?) sounds like an ideal destination for a Seven! Is this also known as Kerrville? If so it's just 1250 miles from Cincy, then 800 miles on tour there, and another 1250 back. Too far for me, probably, but wouldn't mind knowing the exact location, just as a point of idle interest.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a few guys ask about the itenerary. It is going as follows

Friday 11th arrive at hotel and check in. I will imagine we will gather at the hotel some my decide to go out and eat depends on arrival time. No real set plan for friday night. I will have route maps to hand out on friday night.

Saturday morning we should leave around 8 am to get the route done and back in time to clean up and go to dinner at Momacitas at 6;30 OR 7:00.

Sunday morning I would like to leave again around 8 am and drive to Luckenbach to take a group photo. Harold Pace from Pace productions is going to be attending the event to write a story for Kit Car builder. So make sure your ride is nice and clean for the pictures.