getting past immobilizer..

jimrankin

I purchased a replacement S20000 ECU and have the VIN from the donor car, but no keys. Tried getting to the Honda dealer to see if i could get my curent key duplicated with the code from the replacement ECU but just ran out of time.

I know a lot of the S2K 7's with the S2000 motor don't use the immobilizer function and I don't really need it either but don't have a clue how to get by it.

If it's a big deal I'll just wait and go through Honda for a replacement.

Any Ideas?

Loren can help you out with the immobilizer but your really making it a lot harder on yourself... just get an AEM ECU. It's "plug and pay" and gives you a lot more tuning capabilities. And is likely a lot cheaper than the stock ECU (especially from a dealer).

It comes with a stock honda S2000 tune, no error codes for smog etc... I'm sure someone can recommend a good dyno shop in the Bay Area that can fine tune the engine (for our intake/exhaust) for a couple hundred bucks. And be done with it.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=aem+ecu+s2000&cid=18038486064670764454&ei=2fjHTsXVFYjYigSc4tmBCQ&ved=0CAkQrRI#

I may have a chip on my shoulder because I struggled with a stock ECU and if I knew then what I know now...

Edited by Mondo

I had planed to install an AEM and rewire the rats nest of honda wiring this winter. I only tried to fix the stock ECU to get in a few more track days before winter and because the local AEM dealer thought it was best to have the car running properly before they started dyno time on seting up the changed out AEM. Just in case there were problems other than the stock ECU making the car run so poorly. They were not sure how much the AEM would show which input was a problem.

Understood.

I couldn't get my VTEC to kick in (would actually work the first few times) and then it would go into limp mode.

I went to Bisimoto, down in Ontario. http://www.bisimoto.net/

He builds and tunes motors (focusing on Honda) so I have no doubt he could fix your problem. Of course that's one heck of a drive but if you start getting desperate...

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't get a really clear look at the photo Loren sent and thought it was a photo of the chip, not the area it used to be in. I removed the chip from my replacement ECU and took this photo before I reinstalled it.

If you blow it up you will see the red outline around the pin set the chip was soldered into.

Just a FYI for anyone replacing their ECU in the future.

Removed immobilized chip020.jpg

I just thought there was one in place and the photo was unclear. Once I opend up the ECU it was apparent it was the empty space you were pointing to, not a chip. I'm really suprised that Honda didn't set it up "fail secure" instead of "fail safe". They make it pretty easy to defeat their "anti-theft" system.