add lightness muffler

super7guy

Getting ready to try Z06 titanium muffler. When you removed the heavy stainless strap (2lbs) and the tailpile extensions, you are left with a 7 (what else) muffler.

Won't know what the sound level until the 30th, but removing Ultraflow and spiral muffler (over 20 + lbs).

This is for a 185HP (rear wheel) Zetec running close to 8K.

Wayne

Wayne,

What are the inlet and outlet diameters? Is the other one available, I'm assuming there are two of them, not a single muffler with 2 inlets and 2 outlets.

Looking forward to pictures and your report.

I got one off ebay a couple of years ago and finally got around to working on it. I had fears of working with the material. My friend has to learn to weld titanium next. He previously made a muffler out of incanel, so this wouldn't much of a problem. You have surround the weld in argon.

The muffler is double pass, 2.5 in and a pair of 1.5 out. The ends turn down. I have clamshells, so the muffler tucks under the fender.

When the 2 bolt flange is welded back on, the muffler might be 8 lbs.

Wayne

When you have to not exceed 93 db @50' on WOT, you have to have imagination. When I was running a BDA, I had to have three mufflers on the side of my se7en. I end up with a "trombone" exhaust and a custom airbox which gets air from the cockpit through the heater opening. Now that the Zetec turns 8K opposed to 9.5K, two mufflers do the job.

My hope is the lighter titanium muffler will be quiet enough to replace the spiral muffler, 180 degree tube and Ultraflow muffler. Should know in a couple of weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

After burning out the muffler twice, Trying something new, found these Burns Stainless 3" on ebay and plan to run them in line. They are very light and loud on a V8 so I will just have to see how they are on a Miata once I get turboed engine in.

036.jpg

From my limited experiences with Motos and Turbo cars; Yess the turbo can cut some of the noises nicely. However like a Moto muffler it needs to be v freeflow. Physical volume of the can is therefore critical to silencing effect..and it's a surprisingly large volume requirement.

Ever wonder why those $1500/$2000 Moto aftermarket mufflers are so darn big? And that's for 1000cc engines (usually) :-)

IMO those beer can things in your photo will prove an 'interesting' experiment.

Edited by danilo