Aftermarket ECU Systems...

beagley

Hi Mondo,

What ECU was used to get the dyno readings on your graph? From what I read on the Honda and S2000 blogs the stock Honda ECU programing (especially early units) is kind of "cast in stone" as Honda didn't allow for non-factory tweaking, or even corrections by a dealer if the factory decided it could do better at a later point. Bit of engineering ego at play there?

Always take what information I get with a grain of salt but it was explained by an S2000 blogger that the piggy backs are basically "fibbing" wrong information to the stock ECU's so they do what we want instead of what Honda intended. Dynospot tuner said if my unit was a later version he would go with a piggyback as they work well and are plug-in. He doesn't advise it on the older units as the cost to install and tune is too close to just going all new with the plug-in type aftermakets like the AEM which can be used no mater what you do to the motor later. Dynospot reps the AEM unit and seems to have quite a bit of experience with it and tuning in general so I at least have close by local support for whatever I decide to do.

I tried an Apexi piggyback but my problem was the stock ECU... couldn't get it to read the speedo from the tranny, along with some other errors, and it affected the VTEC.

If your stock ECU works fine then just get an Apexi. Your right, it just tricks the stock ECU, he can adjust the VTEC to come in earlier and make a smoother powerband. It's got a little screen that can show other parameters too, at least at night (can't see in daylight).

I was trying to avoid the cost of the AEM Series 2 Plug & Play ECU (plus in line windband UEGO Controller) but now wish I would of just bit the bullet a lot sooner. There are so many options with this aftermarket unit... timing, traction control etc... The AEM is pretty much the first step in getting the most out of engine preformance mods (and necessary for blower/turbo). I probably should of gotten the wideband fuel/air gauge but didn't want to add a gauge to my dash (that's what I pay a tuner for and I wouldn't know what I was looking at anyway).

You could go with Hondata (basically an unlocked Acura RSX ECU) if you don't plan a lot of mods (and want DMV to think its all stock) but you have to change some minor engine parts so the cost actually might be higher than AEM.

With a 2006 or later motor, you don't need to replace the ECU. Hondata makes a controller that you can plug in and make changes to the stock ECU.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/S2000/Hondata/FlashPro/

Edited by Mondo

Hi Mondo,

I have a 2004 unit and that's why Dynospot didn't think the piggyback was a real option. I really don't plan to add forced induction but just not having to add parts like a different crank sensor and having the option open to do almost anything later is probably worth the added cost of just going to the AEM unit.

Life keeps throwing me curves and fastballs I don't seem as able to pick up anymore so the car has been neglected for the past few weeks. This was going to be a "track summer" but I'd better get moving or it's going to be "maybe next year".

The Apexi will work on a 2004 motor... you won't get much more horsepower but you can get a more linear torque curve by adjusting the VTEC and fuel ratios (probably just as good as mine if the tuner knows what he's doing). You'll also have the satisfaction of knowing your motor is running it's best. It'll probably be a third of the cost of an AEM but if your not going to mod much it's a good way to go... I don't have a picture but it fit nicely right in front of the shift lever in that part of the dash that come down to the tunnel.

Apexi Neo

http://www.racingworks.com/apexi_afc_neo_vtec_controller.htm

To make for easier assembly

http://www.redlinemotive.com/part-number/boomslang-fabrication/bf05004.asp

Edited by Mondo

Apexi works fine on 04 engines. If you want a complete ecu swap that is plug and play Hondata is a hreat option. Remember Honda puts millions into their computer systems they are extremely reliable Hondata uses a stock Acura ecu and makes it tuneable plug and play for S2000. AEM would be my second option. But it comes down to what your tuner can do.

The Apexi looks like a pretty good idea since I'm not really looking to go wild on things in the near future and this seems like a good "stop gap" measure for taming the Vtec goblin. Haven't even said "hi" to the partly assembled car in the past few weeks due to work having me convert my garage back into a wood shop to make specialty jigs for a project and just when that was done family emergencies took over. I'll make sure to at least open the garage and pet it this weekend. Maybe buying it presents will make it love me again.LOL.

Thanks for the updates and advice.