Mid-Atlantic blat in September

slngsht

Bob, it's a 5 hour trip each way.

I wasn't planning on doing any actual driving when we got there... Just sit around a camp fire, BBQ, a beer or two, and chill. Then head back Sunday morning.

You are right - there isn't much in the way of repair shops or anything else on the way. Just mountain roads. And we don't have a chase car.

Perhaps you can trailer the car to Monterey, WV and intercept us there. That way if something goes wrong, you're only 90 minutes away from the trailer - worst case.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your earlier comment about a 55 mph speed limit is a guise. When my son's age was in single digts we used to go to the railroad in Cass. We drove there in a 30' motor home. On Rt 33 outside of Harrisonburg there were a number of turns that the radius was so acuate we could not turn sharp enough. We would have to back up and make sure that we didn't back up too far, and turn as sharp as possible to get around the corner. That portion of the trip makes the TOG seem like a super highway. The Robert C. Byrd Green Bank Telescope is at Greenbank close to Cass. Mazda, they put those things where you have to pipe light in! All that said I'm excited about meeting in route. I'll figure that out as the date gets closer

.:grouphug:

because we need to stay together.

I didn't say you can take all corners at 55... that'd be boring.

The speed limit is motly 55, so that means you can really enjoy the road without going WAY over the speed limit, which was a problem at the dragon with its 30 MPH limit.

I just found some reviews of the section you are talking about here:

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/wv_us33.html

Mazda,

I am afraid I have to bow out of the drive on the 15th. but I would still like to join the club.

If it rains and gets changed to the following weekend, I'm in. To those who have never been

to West Virginia it is very beautiful and the roads are great. I recommend it.

Clear skys guys.

Dermot.

Mazda,

I am afraid I have to bow out of the drive on the 15th. but I would still like to join the club.

If it rains and gets changed to the following weekend, I'm in. To those who have never been

to West Virginia it is very beautiful and the roads are great. I recommend it.

Clear skys guys.

Dermot.

We'll decide around the 11th or 12th based on forecast.

Bob/all, my shop is located in the basement of the house where Mazda will be staying. That includes my MIG welder, press, vice, etc. Basically all the "shop" type stuff you would want. Only thing not there are basic hand tools as those live in my truck.

You are all welcome to use it if necessary.

Just an FYI in case it's any consolation.

Ary

The right front suspension is redesigned; caster and camber were dialed in when the tubing lengths were cut. I have tacked it together and will finish welding it tomorrow. Thank God for a 3 day weekend. I should be able to finish the left side by Monday.

“Now let's face it, we were just a couple of bums pushing our 6k lbs SUV's to the limits trying to keep up with Steve T while he was on a "leisurely ride"

Ayra:

This is going to be different on this trip. Looking forward to seeing the "Ebrahimi Skunk Works". I’ll post some pictures tomorrow. I have a 15 year old Airco 400 amp tig that I found on Ebay.

Looking forward to joining to Posse in Monterey.

Alright... Saturday night menu.

Do you guys prefer sitting at a resturaunt/pub, or by a camp fire / BBQ?

Camp fire menu would be marinaded chicken and filet kabobs, grilled veggies.

We have choices in resturaunts as well.

Mazda:

I just sat down for a few minutes after I finished welding the front control arms. I'm going to paint them tonight and start going back together tomorrow. I'm looking forward to spending some time getting to know you guys better. My preference would be anywhere that it's quiet enough to engage in a conversation.

I really wish I could make it up there that weekend guys, you're tempting me to skip town the second the game is over, but I'll probably be a bit too intoxicated for that :blueangel:

I am going up there this weekend though and will do a bit of recon in regards to what will be open restaurant wise. I'll also be removing my truck from the shop and cleaning it up a bit so you should be able to fit 3 sevens in there nose to tail, possibly 4 if you really cram them in.

As far as where to eat, I would recommend the Foxfire over the Junction, although it is slightly pricier, the food and service are MUCH better. On the other hand, Kabob at the house is always a tasty option and much more :grouphug: oriented I think.

Looking forward to the stories from this blat :cool:

Arya:

If your coming from Tech are you going to go via Staunton and then Rt250 and then thru Monterey? If you are I need to find a place to park my truck/car trailer for 1 night. What about gas stations, cell phone #s, and coverage, etc. I hope to put 100-200 miles on my seven in the next 2 weeks so that some of this could change if it passes certain tests.

Heck no, that turns a 3 hour trip into a 5 hour trip. I take 460 West to 219 and take 219 North all the way to snowshoe. I can run it in my Cruiser w/o a trailer in 2.5 hours if I'm in a hurry, 3.0 at normal pace, and 3.5 w/ the trailer. It's pretty much windy roads the whole way once you get off of 460.

There's a slightly different route that's a little straigther but adds 10 miles. If you're interested I can look up the rt numbers(don't recall them off the top of my head).

Where are you trying to ditch the truck/trailer? I can find you a place here in Blacksburg, and there's plenty of room at the house at Snowshoe, in between I dunno what to tell you.

Arya:

I'm going to Richmond in the morning to try and obtain some type of tag. The type of tag that I am able to obtain could affect the time that I can spend on the road to sort out the seven. That will effect the distance that I can drive. I'll stay touch with the group with the progress. My Service Manager's girlfriend works at the local DMV, but getting tags for a kit car is liken to going to Pluto. If anybody is interested, I have the inside requirements (inner office) documents and phone numbers to inform DMV employees about obtaining a title for a Replica Car. It's not for the "Faint of Spirit".