Wanted chassis for lotus/tiger Avon etc

Larry Smith

Hi all im looking for a chassis in any condition,to build a Tiger Avon ,Lotus 7 etc .If its damaged thats NP as i have Tig Welder etc.

IM retired and money is tight but i love restoring/building old cars,thanks all.

I don't have a chassis to offer, but you may want to be aware that many of these chassis coming from the UK are built with high-strength bronze welding that isn't compatible with a mig/tig, in the event you do find a project you want to move forward with.

You can still TIG braze with the eutectic bronze rod...just work with much lower heat. The rod is pretty spendy though. My Locost is brazed together with it.

I am certainly not an expert in the field, but I understand the challenge with TIG brazing is that it is EXTREMELY easy to boil the filler, which will separate the alloying components and weaken the fillet. I should probably revise my statement to say that it can be done by a highly skilled individual, but I've never met such a person.

I think you may be confusing TIG with something else. There is no non-metallic "filler" ...or maybe I am misunderstanding you. Anyway, low power as you don't want to melt the parent material. I don't think it is any more difficult than TIG welding...easier in one way as you don't have to worry about blowing through thin sections since the power levels are low. It is a little tricky to find the right heat, but once you get in the groove, not so bad.

With respect to the OP - this has gone a bit off topic, perhaps we should start a separate thread or PM (depending on how far we want to go into this)

The filler I am referring to is the rod itself. I'm curious what nickel-bronze material you have used. How familiar are you with the eutectic point and liquation? Just because you can TIG weld with it doesn't mean it's a strong joint that's resistant to shock/fatigue/etc. As an anecdotal point, it doesn't make sense to me that Arch motors repair Lotus Sevens/Caterhams using gas welding if TIG was a viable option.

With respect to the OP - this has gone a bit off topic, perhaps we should start a separate thread or PM (depending on how far we want to go into this)

The filler I am referring to is the rod itself. I'm curious what nickel-bronze material you have used. How familiar are you with the eutectic point and liquation? Just because you can TIG weld with it doesn't mean it's a strong joint that's resistant to shock/fatigue/etc. As an anecdotal point, it doesn't make sense to me that Arch motors repair Lotus Sevens/Caterhams using gas welding if TIG was a viable option.

With TIG, the weld/braze is right at the heat point, with gas, you can heat the entire joint and flow the braze like solder on a pipe joint.