Race only rims for street use

geoz3

Panasport makes rims that don't have that label.  Racing is a controlled environment and the street/highway isn't.  Hazards on the street are more varied, numerous and unpredictable while the track is largely a controlled environment.  Regardless of the increased speeds involved, unfortunate events on the track are much less likely to be fatal than on the street.  As they say in climbing, "It's not the fall that kills you, it's the landing."  On the track you end up in the weeds or gravel trap.  On the street, gawd knows what awaits.  YMMV

This got me curious so I went to the Panasport website + did some googling. I didn't find an official answer but it is quite obvious that Panasport is adamant about race wheels not being meant for street/highway use. Plenty of conjecture as to why, most of it having to with weight and construction.

Any idea what they weigh?

My Caterham supplied Two Gates Minilite/Panasport types are 13x6 weighing 11.56 lbs.

They do not have any race use only type markings.  

If your wheels are half the weight of mine,  they may not be safe for street use.

Edited by IamScotticus

If there were no lawyers, I doubt it would ever be an issue short of hitting a curb or nasty pot hole with low tire pressure (more likely to bend than break like cheap wheels). However, it looks like a big "sue me" sign (to anyone that can read) after an accident, no matter whose fault it really is.

Edited by MV8

On 4/24/2023 at 6:35 AM, wdb said:

This got me curious so I went to the Panasport website + did some googling. I didn't find an official answer but it is quite obvious that Panasport is adamant about race wheels not being meant for street/highway use. Plenty of conjecture as to why, most of it having to with weight and construction.

And lawyers. (Insert Shakespeare quote)

• 2 months later...

I had a side to side with another car in a race in Atlanta.  The Minator on the front didn't break even though it had huge rubber marks all over it, the Panasport racing wheel on the back did.  Not very scientific, as they were probably subjected to quite different loads, but I'd lay money on the same thing again.  I think the racing only wheels are lighter and a little more fragile and don't have to comply with JWL (or TUV for that matter) standards.   Yes, the Racing Only label relieves the manufacturer of some liability, but not having to comply with road standards reduces costs also.

• Thanks 1