Gear shifter biased to 5th gear

robinhoodmotors

I would try loosening the two bolts in the right side of the tail housing so the plate is free to move around, work the shifter back forth to try to find some shifting improvement, then retighten. See video around 49 min.

• 2 months later...

I finally had time to pull the engine and gearbox yesterday. I guess I’m a ‘splitter’ - it looked easier to do solo with the engine unbolted from the gearbox. 

After removing the tail housing, checking that everything was where it needed to be, I reassembled taking care to align the pin with the fork on the selector shaft and (drum roll)…. I now have a perfect feeling shifter with neutral between 3rd and 4th gears, rather than 5th. 

I can’t wait to try it, but I’m waiting for clutch/flywheel, slave cylinder, etc. from QED and Burton. It should all be together next week though.

Glad to hear it's sorted!  That's a lot of work to perform on a new-to-you car, but hopefully it's downhill from here.  What did you decide to do for the replacement clutch and flywheel?

-John

Yes, but the work will be worth it - it was a 90% car, now it will be 100%. I’m going to change timing belt, pump, etc. and replace the oil pan foam baffle while it’s all apart. It shouldn’t need anything but a driver for a while then. 
The clutch is all QED, fairly conventional but ‘heavy duty’ because it’s quite a powerful motor. Lightened flywheel and Helix clutch disc and pressure plate. The car had a very worn 4-puck plate but I’m not convinced that those are necessary in my case (road use only).