Frame number decode

I recently sorta inherited a series 4 lotus 7. Has no VIN plate and the only number I can find is on the left side frame.

I am guessing it is a replacement frame but cant find any info.

frame number.jpg

It's interesting that the number is raised/embossed which takes special reversed stamps. I think this was number was posted before on the locost forum with the same question. How did you determine it is an S4 shell? There are several different makes of cars that closely resemble an S4. A pic of the chassis and body might help narrow it down. 

Look for stamping near either end of the flat, transverse steel panel between the masters and the fiberglass. Griston Engineering is one chassis builder for the S4.

It looks like a pre-1981 State vin assignment, not a chassis build number. I expect a chassis build number would be three digits or less. Check the transverse panel closely.

S4 chassis builder ID.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah not finding any numbers on that flat plate, nor anywhere else...

On 6/20/2024 at 1:56 AM, MV8 said:

It looks like a pre-1981 State vin assignment, not a chassis build number. I expect a chassis build number would be three digits or less. Check the transverse panel closely.

S4 chassis builder ID.jpg

That's possible, but I'd sand those areas down to the metal to be sure. Otherwise, you can contact each State it may have been originally titled in to request information on a vin registration or at least basic car info. After so many years of not paying ad velorem, many States purge from the data base but they may archive. It may be foiable but you'd need to pay for the research.

Speaking of DMVs.  I paid ($17?) for a copy of a file for some old car to TXDOT.  Never got anything.  California told me they will not search anything older than 10 years ago without a court order.

Totally agree with sanding.  If you personally know a cop, they have all kind of groovy equipment in the Stolen car area to read through paint, and alterations, etc.