Jump to content

What's this doohickey called?


Recommended Posts

Posted

I have an oil line that got to close to my alternator belt causing enough wear that it needs to be replaced. As I was checking out what that entailed, I found that I have a little round belt tensioning doohickey that I have never seen before. I was trying to google up some info on it but have been stymied by a lack of proper nomenclature. Same with searching through this forum. Anybody got a name for this device?

 

IMG_7287.thumb.jpg.59dc001bd6a45fe3e48d656af33bab12.jpg

 

IMG_7284.thumb.jpg.4fb186894bfe23e080de98abf81c0aa7.jpg

 

 

IMG_7283.thumb.jpg.463051a2cb39cae5f0780ea6a5d21251.jpg

 

 

I am assuming that I loosen that allen bolt and shove a screwdriver or some such sized object into the holes on the side of the round piece and rotate until the appropriate tension is achieved?

 

:confused:

 

 

Posted (edited)

That looks like the alternator bracket and belt tensioner that I had on my old Birkin. It was an aftermarket piece from Circle 'C' Performance that utilized a small NipponDenso alternator. It looks like your eccentric is different than mine was. It looks like it was threaded to take a bolt that could be removed after adjusting the belt tension, instead of the welded-on rod on mine. It's a nice piece but beware that the bracket can crack because of the way it's cantilevered off the front of the engine. I ended up installing an AN5-44A bolt (longer shank) and welding in a sleeve between the front and rear tabs to strengthen the bracket. You might not have an issue but it's good to keep an eye on it. The eccentric adjuster is circled in this photo with the main bolt circled in red. This photo is before the mods. 

 

MOTORFRT-R1.jpg.eaaf96990e81485761d42ce4a65564a7.jpg  

Edited by 11Budlite
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

Ahh… There’s the proper noun I’ve been searching for!  Thank you Origin7, and also thank you 11Budlite for those pictures… They help me understand how much leverage I’m gonna need to apply to achieve the proper tension on the belt. I definitely don’t want to over torque that thing.
 

:classic_biggrin:

 

 

Edited by m2711c

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...