-
Posts
2,338 -
Joined
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Store
Articles
Gallery
Events
Library
Everything posted by 11Budlite
-
I agree, KTR would probably be the best option closest to the Boston/Worcester area.
-
I have a Haynes Ford Sierra V6 manual and it has just basic information on the differential, like R&R and seal replacement. I think you're going to have to get a Ford factory manual to get the info you need to do what you're looking to do. The Mercury Merkur XR4Ti might be the same exact rear end as the Sierra. If it is you can check out this online manual here: https://archive.org/details/1985-1988-merkur-xr4ti-shop-manual/page/n359/mode/2up Look at section 15-03, starting at pg 347. Hope this helps.
-
-
The Regular Summary of Classified Ads of Se7ens Found For Sale
11Budlite replied to Croc's topic in Cars For Sale
Lotus 7 racecar on BaT: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-lotus-seven-12/?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Model_Update -
Both days turned out beautiful and we had a blast at both tracks. I was the only Seven in attendance at both days. There was an extended aerobatic display on the morning of 9/11 at NYST that got everyone excited for a really fun day. NYST is still the track I struggle with the most, but I did get my best time of 1:42.xx on Friday. Still a lot of room to improve, so I think it's time to get an instructor to ride-along or start taking/studying video. This was my first time at Pineview and we were running the full long course. I probably should have watched some videos before hand because it was a very challenging track to learn. I lost one session with a charging issue, but thankfully by the last session I was able to start to understand the track a little better and get in a few acceptable laps. It really is a nice track for a Seven and I look forward to going back there again. Highlights from our little group was Tom running a 1:26.56 at NYST and a 1:17.17 at Pineview as he continues to get his car dialed in. One thing I learned is that doing two track days in a row at different tracks is exhausting, especially at 69 years old. I did about 11 hrs of driving to the tracks, 4 hrs on track, plus loading/unloading 3 times. What's that saying, "you never slow down you never grow old"!
-
One of my favorite Seven videos of all time. Geoff W. is a member here too.
-
Some more info here for rear axle bracing options in addition to the DSK option supplied by Ed above: https://simplesevens.org/history/t10axle/t10axle.htm
-
The Regular Summary of Classified Ads of Se7ens Found For Sale
11Budlite replied to Croc's topic in Cars For Sale
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-caterham-seven/?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Disambiguation_Update -
When I had my S2 chassis, I ended up swapping out the stock fixed steering column for a complete later Caterham steering column assy. That included the upper and lower steering columns and the clamp assy. This added some adjustability to the steering wheel position and a bit of a safety factor as well. You could get the Caterham quick release upper steering column instead of the stock upper column so you could remove the steering wheel. Not cheap though. I bought some 3/4" cromoly tubing and welded the spline section of my quick release to the upper end and machined the lower end to accept the clamp assy. I forget what the wall thickness was but it fit well with the lower column. It could be an option for you.
-
Yes, that water rail really cleaned up the coolant plumbing on my old Birkin.
-
Headlight lowering bracket for older Sevens
11Budlite replied to Origin7's topic in General Fabrication
Looks great! -
That sucks, sorry to hear that. Glad you have a plan in place to get it fixed. I've spun off the track in the rain before, but thankfully there was plenty of runoff.
-
What happened?
-
I think the Birkins with a 17 digit VIN came in as a rolling chassis, whereas the cars with a 'BIY' prefix (build-it-yourself) were built from the different group kits described here: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/so0hj3yk89xhqjpsd4wcq/ACoFhnVRUQrJh41aILMdWhQ?rlkey=t54k2j4iu7x15i2hpd0owu7uk&e=1&dl=0 I think my Birkin was stamped BIY1899 at the base of the roll bar as well.
-
I know he passed away about 10 years ago and he was only active on the yahoo.birkinowners site, but does anyone recall the aero/body mods that Folis Jones made to his old Birkin? I just ran across these photos of it in it's final iteration and it looks really interesting.
- 1 reply
-
- 1
-
-
The value will depend a lot on the year, specs, and condition. My old 2001 Birkin had a stamped section on the left chassis tube in the engine compartment (circled in the attached photo). Mine was BIY1899 IIRC, so that would correspond to the 2001 model year. If it has the Toyota live axle then it's an older chassis before they went to IRS. Not sure of the year when that happened, but I think it was sometime around 2010. Also, if it was set up for the track there were all kind of mods that were available during the 2000-2010 time frame when I was building my car. Do you have any photos of the Birkin? That would help determine a reasonable asking price.
-
I'm signed up for both days. Hoping the weather will cooperate!
-
Had a really fun time at Palmer this past weekend. Camped out Saturday night and was up bright and early with our little group of drivers to get ready for Sunday's event. There are five in our little group, including my son Matt who drives a turbo Exocet, our friend Tom who drives a Van Dieman GSXR 1000 Sports Racer, and daughter Lauren and S-I-L Andy who share a Honda K-powered Subaru BRZ. It was a nice surprise when @BlakeJ texted me and said he was going to do the Sunday event as well. My daughter had a hard crash in their original BRZ at Club Motorsports in June when her enthusiasm and NFS exceeded her skill and experience level. That was a very hard lesson for her, especially since they had just spent 6 months building it and had only done a couple track days since finishing it. But she responded in exactly the way I wanted her to. She couldn't wait to get back on track asap, and to start all over again focusing on the basics. But first we had to swap all the remaining good parts from the crashed car, plus a bunch of new parts, onto an even better condition BRZ with a blown motor. They had to spend almost all their free time as well as some help from the rest of us to get it done in time for yesterdays event. Thankfully it turned out even better than their first car, and they both had very successful and fun days. Blake got there Sunday morning and we had saved a spot for him and his trailer so he could hang out with us. This was Blake's first time at Palmer so I agreed to have him follow me in the first couple sessions to show him what I consider a decent line. It's always fun to be out on track with other Seven's and yesterday was no different. Had a lot of fun and I think for the whole day we only had to give one car a point-by. Since I knew Blake was quicker than me, on the 3rd session we agreed that I would point him by and then I would see how close I could stay with him. So much fun following another Seven and he even helped me refine my line going thru turns 11 & 12. Too bad no other Seven's showed up! My son Matt is very quick in his Exocet and is always competitive with much faster cars even though the aero drag is even worse than a Caterham. He has the suspension dialed in well and is running 9psi on a FM turbo kit. If you're looking for a relatively cheap track car with all the aftermarket, engine options, and used part availability of a Miata, all at a considerable weight advantage to a stock Miata, an Exocet could be a nice option. I think his weighs around #1640 even with the beefed up cage. Then there is Tom with his Van Dieman Sports Racer. Tom, Matt, and I picked it up in Green Bay last fall after seeing it advertised on ApexSpeed. It was originally a Pinto-powered Formula Continental but has gone thru two major revisions. More details here: https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?99945-Van-Diemen-P2-SOLD It was basically a bunch of good parts assembled together on a modified VD chassis but required a thorough prep job before it could go on track. He's had to fix, adjust, modify, fabricate, and setup many different things but it's been a fun project for him. He was in the 56-57.xx range at LRP when he still didn't have the clutch working properly. But on the last two track days he seems to have everything working reliably, and has done a 1:11.xx at Thompson and a 1:38.xx at Palmer yesterday. Still room for improvement as he works to get it dialed in. I'm not sure how you could go faster for cheaper. It has around 185hp, weighs #850-860 on our scales, and he shifts the 6-speed at 12,500 rpm. Gets about the same gas mileage as my 1.6L Sigma-powered Caterham and sounds wild too! Anyway, here are some photos from yesterday at Palmer although the Exocet photo is from Club in June:
- 1 reply
-
- 3
-
-
Factory tour and got to visit my car.
11Budlite replied to Exarkun1178's topic in General Sevens Discussion
Your car looks beautiful with a lot of nice options. What a memorable trip for you and your son, so cool!! -
According to the Tony Weale book, the correct negative offset for S3 wheels up to 6" wide is 3/4" or 19mm. The negative offset could have been an error because doing a Google search shows offsets of positive 15 - 25. You might want to measure your wheels to determine what you have. This guide shows offsets of positive 15-25 as well: https://www.vtowheels.com/cars/lotus-7-1957-1973
-
I'll be at Palmer on Sunday 8/16 driving my Caterham. Our friend Tom will be there with his Van Dieman sports racer which is finally sorted and really quick. I can take passengers in the Caterham in case anyone wants to get a taste of the track. You just have to sign a waiver and have a helmet. Palmer is a really fun track with 14 corners and a lot of elevation change. Hope to see some other Sevens there!
-
The Regular Summary of Classified Ads of Se7ens Found For Sale
11Budlite replied to Croc's topic in Cars For Sale
Zetec Caterham Superlight on BaT: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/caterham-seven-6/?fbclid=IwY2xjawTm6mBwZG9mBWV4dG4DYWVtAjExAHNydGMGYXBwX2lkEDIyMjAzOTE3ODgyMDA4OTIAAR4oK6Dagi7db2fQheiZafbmICCh-uv6pzRgwihwGbBQluF9-NU353pQuDiGXw_aem_RL9vdYwVL97bUT9diz9nJQ
