Ecotec 2.4L Drivetrain from Solstice?

DeanD3W

Has anyone used, or considered, a Solstice drivetrain in a 7? I'm considering (OK - I just bought :-} a 2.4L (not the turbo 2.0L GXP) engine with transmission, driveshaft, engine wiring harness, driveshaft, and 3.91 LSD. The engine & trans have just over 2800 miles on them & and differential apparently has 50 miles of use.

I like the looks of all of it. It appears to be an easy solution for the Raw Striker kit that I plan to order soon. I think it likely weighs about 20% to 25% more than a 2.0L Duratec, but I think the Ecotec can handle quite an increase from the stock 177 hp with less work than the Duratec would require (at least wrt bottom end improvements).

Since I just paid for it today, I'm now committed, but would love to hear opinions, good or bad, and whether anyone has any experience with these parts. I've searched quite a bit, but only found a new version of the Elfin that uses the 2.0L turbo charged Ecotec from a USDM Solstice GXP... No other Ecotecs in 7s???

I'm aware of the pinion seal recall for the diff (all the parts I bought are 2006). Any other concerns?

That was my number 1 choice 3 or 4 years ago before I went with the LS1, but at the time, Solstice / Sky had not come out yet, and the RWD solution was a bit more involved. I think it's a great choice

I think it is a great choice. The bottom end is very stout and can handle 600hp. It has good low end torque and alot of upgrades on the market. I believe that it has balance shafts as well so it is very smooth. The turbo motor can easily make 350hp with minor mods.

I have looked at it more than once.

We have one running in Iowa with a turbo charged Solstice. Initial results are very positive.

Jack

The Ecotec would be a good choice for a Se7en. There is some historical heritage in that particular powerplant and Sevens.

The Ecotec is the latest evolution in the long line of Generation II GM engines that began with the Cosworth KB, also known as the Vauxhall/Opel/Holden C20XE. Caterham offered these Gen II engines in their HPC chassis in the 90s and early 00s.

Thanks for all the good comments. This is making me feel better about taking the leap that I did... I couldn't pass the deal up. The wrecking yard I'm buying from even has their truck coming through Portland OR once every week or two, so shipping will be only $75 from Spokane. Spalding Automotive is their name. They apparently have a lot of GM parts (They currently have a Solstice GXP 2.0L Turbo conversion package with, I think, 28k miles, but the price is over $5k). The package I'm buying was just a bit more than half that amount... If you want to go right to a 260HP/260 ft lb level that price isn't really too bad, I suppose (just too rich for me right now). They've been really good to deal with so far. Once the delivery has been made I'll know more of course.

Jack - Do you know any more specifics about the car in Iowa? Is it a Locost or a kit type Se7en?

I think the drive-by-wire throttle from the Solstice should work fine. Does anyone have experience or comments?

Jack - Do you know any more specifics about the car in Iowa? Is it a Locost or a kit type Se7en?

Dean, yes it is an older Stalker kit that was originally set up for a 2.8/3.4L GM V6. The owner is in the process of converting it and everything looks very promising. He has had it running and now in the final finishing stage.

Jack

If the Ecotec Stalker owner is using a Solstice/Sky transmission, does the shifter end up nicely located?

Based upon the layout of a Solstice and the way the shifter appears to be placed far aft in pictures of the engine & trans outside a car, I'm hoping it will come out just right, but I need to wait about 10 days until I have the drivetrain in my garage, then two or three months longer to get the point that I can order the Raw Striker kit, then even more for the lead time from Raw... Long wait to see how it will come out.