Limited Slip Diff

slngsht

Well, now that i've gotten over the rush of the engine, fixed the passenger side exhaust, and the clutch master, I started fiddling with the suspension. I raised the rear to set the ride height, and noticed my wheels turn in opposite direction.

I was told this car had a LSD, but suspected it didn't b/c I could only hear the tire breaking loose with my right ear... I just wrote it off as my left ear being deaf from being close to the exhaust. smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> Joe, I know you just bought a 4.10 LSD. Do you mind if I ask where you bought it from and how much it cost? Also, how involved was the install?</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> Anyone else with similar info, please chime in.</p>

Is it possible that the diff is indeed a LSD, but that the clutches are worn out and it needs a rebuild? 

-John

Hi John, I suppose it is possible. When I talked to the guy that worked at Rotus, he mentioned that a few years before the owner of the company passed away, he put the LSD in the car. I don't think this car has that many miles on it because it had been stored in a garage for quite a few years (but not really sure) and was never titled. I guess the only way to find out is to open her up.

If it is the Toyota Celica Supra (1st generation of the Supra)it's like mine. I had 5:33 gearing in mine and I found someone on the list that had a stock Supra diff so I bought that and moved the LSD over myself. It's a pretty simple job as you don't disturb the pinion setting so all you have to do is put the existing ring gear on the new carrier unit and re adjust the side play for clearance and bearing pressure. There are threaded rings on each side to do that with.

The LSD is a TRD unit which might not still be sold by Toyota. There aren't any clutches in it. I think that is what they were using when building the cars. You should be able to tell by jacking up one wheel as see if it still moves the car. I assume you have the 79 vintage diff so you could also pull the unit and look. It's a tight fit to slide the drive shaft forward and get the unit pulled out and down on mine.

Well, sometimes things work out for the best. Somebody at a Supra forum told me that torque sensing diffs act like an open diff when one of the wheels has zero torque (like in the air)... so my conclusion that I have an open diff may have been wrong.

It's too cold to drive anywhere to do a nice burnout, so i did a couple of short ones in the driveway, and each time got two nice patches smileys/smiley1.gif[/img] </p>

I would say it's probably working. Put one wheel in the sand ans see what you get.

I tried my relocated one out on the street in front of the house and it left two 10" wide black marks. It won't do it in second gear anymore especially with the fresh Hoosier slicks and changing from 5:33 to 4:10 gearing.

Joe