2016 Katie's Cars & Coffee Thread - Great Falls, VA

rcollum

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How dedicated are we to attending the Saturday morning Katie's Cars & Coffee? It was misting early, and we still filled up the front parking lot. We even had some new attendees show up!

--Bob Collum

IMG_3476.jpg

IMG_3488-Edit.jpg

IMG_3494.jpg

IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3504-Edit.jpg

It rained last night, so the roads were a bit damp this morning. It was in the low 40's early, so pretty reasonable for mid-January. Not a bad turnout, after all.

Because of the wet roads, I brought my Elise.

--Bob Collum

IMG_3512.jpg

IMG_3519-Edit.jpg

IMG_3524-Edit.jpg

IMG_3540-Edit.jpg

IMG_3550-Edit.jpg

IMG_3533.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As it turns out, Katie's was closed last weekend due to the snowstorm, so we didn't really miss anything.

This week, it was cold (23F), but pretty clear. Plenty of residual snow around, and some salt on the roads. Moderate weather late this week melted the snow down, so there were not the high walls of snow at every intersection, and most road lanes were clear.

Still, my working Cars & Coffee theory was again proved right: extreme conditions can keep us away for a week, but anything beyond a week, and people will start showing up again, almost no matter what. As proof, we had 4 modern Mustangs there today. Not what I'd call a winter car, but they were there, along with more-predictable choices like Mike's Cayenne, Glenn's Hummer and Eric Z's Range Rover Sport. A hardy, enthusiastic bunch!

One cute feature of a brand-new California Special Mustang GT was the logo it projects from under the outside mirror when the door is open.

I did not drive the Seven, because I have dug a single-width lane down my 100ft driveway, and could not get the Seven around it.

--Bob Collum

IMG_3773.jpg

IMG_3775.jpg

IMG_3770.jpg

IMG_3780-Edit.jpg

IMG_3786.jpg

Bob,

You get up much to early for me.

That said, when it hit 52 degrees I just had to take the Seven out. I needed a fix.

The roads and interstates went from somewhat dry to very wet with rapid snow melt. This caused copious amounts of spray that I assume that included salt. Glad I had the full screen and with wipers on for the winter.

After a 30 minute run it was time to give the car got a complete bath including under the car and the engine bay.

People have asked, 'Is it worth going to Katie's in the winter?' Take a look at some of what showed up today, and decide for yourself.

This includes several we had not seen before - the Tesla Model X, just in to the dealer, a loaded 'Founder' model. Two Bentley Speeds, a coupe and a convertible.

--Bob Collum

IMG_3844.jpg

IMG_3868.jpg

IMG_3892-Edit.jpg

IMG_3894.jpg

IMG_3911.jpg

IMG_3899.jpg

IMG_3932-Edit.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The first good Saturday in a couple of weeks, it was over 40F when I left the house for Katie's. The good weather (for late February!) brought out a good-sized crowd. I brought my Seven, and I saw a gray Elise, too. A large number of Vipers were gathered there, too.

--Bob Collum

IMG_4078.jpg

IMG_4122-Edit.jpg

IMG_4119.jpg

IMG_4131.jpg

IMG_4169.jpg

This morning, somebody brought an Evora, with Mansory front end and GT4 wing. It appears to have just been bought at Gator Motorsports, the Lotus dealer in Indianapolis. I did not have time to catch up to the owner - does anyone know who owns it? It's very nice!

--Bob Collum

IMG_4408.jpgIMG_4373-Edit.jpgIMG_4376-Edit.jpgIMG_4407.jpg

An overcast morning meant a beautiful sunrise, but slightly cool temperatures. Lots of Katie's regulars were at Amelia Island for the concours and auction, but there were plenty of cars and people in Great Falls today, just the same.

--Bob Collum

IMG_4584.jpg

IMG_4553-Edit.jpg

IMG_4563.jpg

IMG_4574.jpg

IMG_4565.jpg

IMG_4583-Edit.jpg

IMG_4576-Edit.jpg

Officially, today was the last day of winter. It was a cool and overcast morning, but lots of interesting cars were there - not the least of which were the 6 Lotus in attendance - an Evora, 2 Exiges, Duncan's Esprit and Victor's Europa, plus my Elise.

Many Katie's regulars were back from Amelia Island. One bought a beautiful Pierce Arrow.

We had a nice Ur-Quattro tribute, too.

--Bob Collum

IMG_4721-Edit.jpg

IMG_4742.jpg

IMG_4674.jpg

IMG_4700.jpg

What time were you there last week? I saw no Lotus there last week, either. I was there with my Caterham, from before 6:00AM to about 8:00AM. I get there early enough that I practically always get the same spot, facing Katie's front door. I am either in my Seven, or in my red Elise. I miss, maybe, 3 or 4 of these Saturday events per year.

For future reference, I am the old guy wearing a black Lotus jacket and a red Lotus hat, carrying a Canon camera (not in the pictures).

Hope to see you some week soon!

--Bob Collum

IMG_4599.jpg

Edited by rcollum

I was there at 7 and stayed a good 45 minutes. I can't believe I did not see you there.

Oh... Most Saturdays I'm inside, having breakfast with friends until there's enough light to take pictures. We are at the table nearest the coffee counter.

Now that it's Daylight Savings Time, I'm probably outside around 7:45 or 8:00AM.

--Bob