And this month's centerfold is...

...a Caterham CSR in R&T. It's an interesting back-drop to an interview with John Krafcik, Google Self-Driving Car CEO. Sam Smith did a great job weaving a positive message about the Caterham Seven into the article.

Luckydawg is well, uh, a lucky dog to get such a great photo feature of his car. We didn't think it would feature so prominently, given the theme of the story.

-Bruce

Good to see Road & Track contacted Bruce - he knows how to provide well sorted Caterhams!

Nice feature on your car LuckyDawg!

Thanks, the photo was much more than we had expected since the article was primarily not about Caterhams.

Seems odd considering there are several options for 7's right there in Silicon Valley.

You're car looks great though!

There's really nothing odd about a manufacturer's agent sourcing a known, factory-spec, and professionally assembled car, and then tending to the car at the event, to ensure that the experience and resulting article reflects well on the brand.

Note that no mention was made of a Caterham Seven as a "bellowing ox-cart", or anything similar in this piece. Quite the opposite.

Cheers,

-Bruce

There's really nothing odd about a manufacturer's agent sourcing a known, factory-spec, and professionally assembled car, and then tending to the car at the event, to ensure that the experience and resulting article reflects well on the brand.

Note that no mention was made of a Caterham Seven as a "bellowing ox-cart", or anything similar in this piece. Quite the opposite.

Cheers,

-Bruce

Bruce, with all due respect, I've been doing photography for car manufacturers and the car magazines for a good 15 years, I am well aware of the relationship.

It was odd to me because last time Road and Track did an article that included a Caterham, they contacted me to shoot the story because they knew I had a 7 and because I was able to find a local owner to provide a car. And this was for a track car comparison test (at Sonoma) where having a supported car would have been much better since they were being run hard all day.

I have not seen this story yet, but as noted the story wasn't about Caterhams and it seems the car was more of a prop. It was a lot of work (and cost) to have you haul a car down from Seattle for such a use when there were several local cars that would have easily been suitable for this purpose only a few miles away. Nothing wrong with it, just odd to me in this situation http://yoursmiles.org/msmile/sad/m1516.gif

Edited by MoPho

Bruce, with all due respect, I've been doing photography for car manufacturers and the car magazines for a good 15 years, I am well aware of the relationship.

It was odd to me because last time Road and Track did an article that included a Caterham, they contacted me to shoot the story because they knew I had a 7 and because I was able to find a local owner to provide a car. And this was for a track car comparison test (at Sonoma) where having a supported car would have been much better since they were being run hard all day.

I have not seen this story yet, but as noted the story wasn't about Caterhams and it seems the car was more of a prop. It was a lot of work (and cost) to have you haul a car down from Seattle for such a use when there were several local cars that would have easily been suitable for this purpose only a few miles away. Nothing wrong with it, just odd to me in this situation http://yoursmiles.org/msmile/sad/m1516.gif

Actually, I believe this was the last time Road & Track did a Caterham article http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a27755/what-you-learn-driving-a-bare-bones-caterham/. You may recall it was widely discussed on this forum several months ago.

Edited by lucky dawg

Actually, I believe this was the last time Road & Track did a Caterham article http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a27755/what-you-learn-driving-a-bare-bones-caterham/. You may recall it was widely discussed on this forum several months ago.

I thought that was a blog post from Jalopnik (Travis used to work at Jalopnik)…, and I don't believe that was published in the magazine

This is the article http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/features/a8707/pure-bloods/ ran both in the magazine and the web. We used Seans car for it.

Edited by MoPho

I thought that was a blog post from Jalopnik (Travis used to work at Jalopnik)…, and I don't believe that was published in the magazine

This is the article http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/features/a8707/pure-bloods/ ran both in the magazine and the web. We used Seans car for it.

Sorry, I thought a Road & Track article meant just that. Regardless, of the three, the current one is easily the most positive toward Caterham.

Its great that Bruce was able to make this happen and that LuckyDawg was cool with loaning it out.

I do have to agree with MoPho though, that locating a customer car from Seattle for a piece in NorCal seems a little out of the way. Why not just borrow a car from Hillbank's inventory in Irvine? They show 13 in inventory on their site.

Was Caterham USA unresponsive or did they rebuff the author's request?

Really - this had zero to do with the location of the article's author, or the availability of cars in or around Silicon Valley. However, it has *everything* to do with forging a more strategic, measured partnership with the automotive press. That Dyson article was a *DISASTER* on many levels. It was then followed up with another piece that was doomed from the start. We needed to break that cycle of unjustified poor press, and the Google article is a step in the right direction.

Let's enjoy the marque's accolades in the article, and look forward to the next piece that highlights the positive attributes of the Seven - we're already working on it.

Cheers,

-Bruce

Really - this had zero to do with the location of the article's author, or the availability of cars in or around Silicon Valley. However, it has *everything* to do with forging a more strategic, measured partnership with the automotive press. That Dyson article was a *DISASTER* on many levels. It was then followed up with another piece that was doomed from the start. We needed to break that cycle of unjustified poor press, and the Google article is a step in the right direction.

Let's enjoy the marque's accolades in the article, and look forward to the next piece that highlights the positive attributes of the Seven - we're already working on it.

I'll guess you haven't seen the GQ article on the 620S yet. It's from the UK version; likely different content than the US version GQ, but still, not exactly a complimentary article.

I'll guess you haven't seen the GQ article on the 620S yet. It's from the UK version; likely different content than the US version GQ, but still, not exactly a complimentary article.

I guess we have different opinions of complimentary. When the article statesThe problem with the 620S is that its limits are not human." and The Caterham 620S is the world’s best Caterham, but the world can’t handle it." then I'm impressed.