Need diagnostic help

Cranky

I drive a 2013 R300 with a Ford Duratec engine. I was driving home and hit a hole in the road. Immediately after that, my power dropped off and the car stopped. I can crank the engine, but it doesn't catch.

It's been a long time since I worked on cars (my 1982 Civic). I know that I'm probably lacking either fuel or spark. Where do I start? Any way to check to see if fuel is getting to the injectors? Where is the fuel pump(s)? The spark plugs have fancy things on the end that are screwed into the block. Can I take one off to see if it is sparking?

Any help would be appreciated.

A quick way to diagnose between spark and fuel is to spray a little starting fluid into the intake. If it fires momentarily it is a fuel problem.

The things on the spark plugs are stick coils. You can pull one off and stick something metal, small, round like a small phillips screwdrive up into it and short it against the engine to see if you have spark.

Given this began after a hard jolt, I'd check for loose electrical, pinched wires, or crank position sensor. Do you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key? If not, check the fuse and then the wiring. Next, check the fuse for the ECU to make sure no issues there. Also check any connectors in the engine loom to make sure they are still tight. It's also possible that the crank sensor wasn't fully tightened so it moved a bit when you hit the hole. Not sure how to check that if you don't have the plastic alignment tool included with a replacement sensor, but others might know.

-John

Is the car fitted with an inertia switch? They are designed to cut fuel during an accident and can be triggered by a big jolt. My Lotus Elise had one and my current Westfield is wired for one but I left it off.

If you have one all you need to do is reset it and you should be good.

dave

I think Dave is on the right track - the symptoms exactly match when I trigger mine from time to time. It should be under the bonnet mounted on the firewall. It looks like a little black rubber button

Inertia switch for the win. I did the starting fluid test and confirmed that it was a lack of fuel. Then I searched for the "black rubber button" and found it on the passenger side of the firewall under the bonnet. One push and I was good to go. Thanks!