420 CSR progress, Purple People Eater ;) 😈

UglyFast

4 hours ago, SENC said:

But that's a cruise ship...

Quit your worrying, @UglyFast, surely this won't happen again...

GoldenRay-MAIN.jpg.ffc1d37ca122035f9714067b80e512dd.jpg

We visited Sea Island GA not too long after this wreck in 2019, and had dinner at a golf club that had a great view of it.  I have to say it was an impressive sight, the enormity of the ship on its side.  The multi-year cleanup effort was fascinating to follow online.  For those whoay not have followed the story at the time, the ship was carrying over 4,000 cars, including Porsches and Bentleys, into a massive roll-on/roll-off port nearby.  Wondering if a lightweight, aluminum and fiberglass vehicle would fair any better.

Pretty sure our cars are so light they float. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 hours ago, SENC said:

I should recognize that @Crocwas dead-on about hurricane season, though.  Hopefully Nicole will be gone before anything purple heads west.  @UglyFast, you don't have any ex-es named Nicole, do you?

Screenshot_20221108_084538_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c8e7d8adb797a6a762e97b16df15f54b.jpg

Allllll the Nicoles past and future can collectively kiss my whole ass lol!

• Haha 1

Your tracker seems to be lagging.  She is well west of the Azores and cranking along at 18knots.  Also I can see the captain has gone for the southerly routing to avoid the remnants of Nicole 5 days from now.  

But don't worry.  I expect you will encounter delays during processing for customs.  I always seem to get a species of amoebic dysentry processing any cars I import.  

• Like 1

Yes, and I remember that being a little nerve-racking as there was near-total radio silence once in port and as I'd been advised early on by my shipping agent that this stage we were not only at their mercy for timing but for what level of customs scrutiny/inspection.  My Seven came in a container, and it had been explained that while most common was a fairly expedient paperwork review that customs could decide (randomly?) to set the container aside for a full inspection - and that if that occurred it would be at my cost (and wasn't peanuts, as I recall).

I did get a kick out of picking it up at the warehouse once cleared and unpacked.  They were (appropriately) focused on mass shippers/volume, with little/no facility to support the single unit importer like me.  Once in the gate (no problem with paperwork in hand), I was on my own to figure out where to park/stage and not be in the way of the big-rigs and then to find someone in the warehouse willing to slow down and help.  I found my car within 30 minutes of walking around, but was there another hour+ waiting for "the right guy".

20200102_083951.thumb.jpg.660d13ebb433262f7d64624ad397ce71.jpg20200102_100140.thumb.jpg.d508a2d12e63447c4dbdd2ac2c554c54.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2022 at 9:04 AM, SENC said:

Yes, and I remember that being a little nerve-racking as there was near-total radio silence once in port and as I'd been advised early on by my shipping agent that this stage we were not only at their mercy for timing but for what level of customs scrutiny/inspection.  My Seven came in a container, and it had been explained that while most common was a fairly expedient paperwork review that customs could decide (randomly?) to set the container aside for a full inspection - and that if that occurred it would be at my cost (and wasn't peanuts, as I recall).

I did get a kick out of picking it up at the warehouse once cleared and unpacked.  They were (appropriately) focused on mass shippers/volume, with little/no facility to support the single unit importer like me.  Once in the gate (no problem with paperwork in hand), I was on my own to figure out where to park/stage and not be in the way of the big-rigs and then to find someone in the warehouse willing to slow down and help.  I found my car within 30 minutes of walking around, but was there another hour+ waiting for "the right guy".

20200102_083951.thumb.jpg.660d13ebb433262f7d64624ad397ce71.jpg20200102_100140.thumb.jpg.d508a2d12e63447c4dbdd2ac2c554c54.jpg

What a pretty lil car 

So I think I have a day and a half to wait. I think ship will dock the 16th. Offload then maybe a couple days to clear customs??  

Then I have it picked up?  I mistakenly thought freight meant from England to me, but I now understand it means England to USA. 

Anyways, anyone have any thoughts about a freight company that can pick up a car, a car maybe on a pallet, or maybe a car in a crate?  Unsure exactly how it was sent/packaged.  Coast of South Carolina to the Upstate, about 3 hours. Have a shop with a dock ready and waiting. 

Appreciate all input. 

Edited by UglyFast
Typo

Here  is a question, will it have to be inspected by your State and what about emissions . That can make you cry if it has to be inspected . Soon you will need a Cat Converter on your weed eater 

I'll look back at my paperwork and see if I can find the wait once in port, but seem to recall it was a bit longer than a couple days.  I do recall being forewarned it could be as little as 2-3 days or considerably longer depending on the customs inspection.

I'll PM you my information, but if you get in a bind I'm in Wilmington and could potentially meet you down there with my trailer to help you get it home if it can be rolled out of its crate and into the trailer.

Looks like it took a couple days to get unloaded and staged then a couple days for customs clearance and delivery to the warehouse, then a day or so before they let me know I could pick it up.  The funny thing is, I had only a brief window to pick it up before accumulating charges so I remember being quite nervous about getting notification.

Hopefully Caterham advised and assisted, but did you complete and submit the necessary import and EPA forms and have an agent paying customs and getting the paperwork through?  If none of that rings a bell I can search for old emails for the guidance and assistance I got from Schumacher to send you.