Carbon fiber goodness

Ted7

Since cycle wings at Caterham Cars is back ordered and Westermann was a big disappointment, I had one of my client having them done for me from scratch.

4b079271-0a8d-4ddd-9b9d-0944898497c2 copy.jpg

Edited by Ted7

6 minutes ago, Vovchandr said:

Was it as pictured?

I had mixed feelings with my westermann experiences 

The one on top is my stock one, they needed to make the mold for the carbon fiber.

Westermann was terrible imho

That new C/F fender looks fantastic. I particularly like the book match of the fabric. I've always wanted a set for my Caterham that are several inches longer (along the arc) such that they would cover more of the tread overall (something similar to the cycle wings in the photo below). I'd like to talk with your client about working up a pair such as those.

images.jpeg

Interested to hear the bad experiences with Westermann, since they charge a real premium for their products. Myself, I had a terrible experience with them about 18 years ago - not concerning the quality of the product, but rather some aggressive behavior from them when a shipping delivery went wrong. 

6 minutes ago, Ferrino said:

Interested to hear the bad experiences with Westermann, since they charge a real premium for their products. Myself, I had a terrible experience with them about 18 years ago - not concerning the quality of the product, but rather some aggressive behavior from them when a shipping delivery went wrong. 

Not really crazy about that carbon fiber work from Westermann... I just wish I saw them before I had them installed. 

25c35593-4794-4db5-899a-91a55a842552.jpg

99d04400-7dbc-4a2a-ab6a-361.jpg

99d04400-7dbc-4a2a-ab6a-3615f0b81df8.jpg

9146dcc5-d37a-4d22-8548-6b1e3251d5c1.jpg

9 hours ago, Nick OTeen said:

That new C/F fender looks fantastic. I particularly like the book match of the fabric. I've always wanted a set for my Caterham that are several inches longer (along the arc) such that they would cover more of the tread overall (something similar to the cycle wings in the photo below). I'd like to talk with your client about working up a pair such as those.

images.jpeg

Those look like the perfect cycle fender (if you don't care about an aero hump off the back -I don't). You'd need fenders to copy in carbon. They could copy two sets of your original fenders, then trim and glass those to make one for each side in the length you want, then cast the prototypes in carbon. Keep the molds.

Edited by MV8

Being in the Carbon Fiber business, and in the same area as the OP, I have to wonder who made these.  I expect I know them.

They are very nice indeed.  The Westerman parts are fairly typical of either wet laid-up or infused parts.  The dry cloth is very slippery and difficult to keep the twill lines straight.

Ian

On 2/20/2023 at 6:55 PM, ianashdown said:

Being in the Carbon Fiber business, and in the same area as the OP, I have to wonder who made these.  I expect I know them.

His name is Josh, from Lange Customz