Setting up a Seven - the Ultralite Experience

rnr

Both you and the Caterham driver seemed to know the track and drove great lines, but I wld give you the edge there (climb the curbs, baby).

Unfortunately neither of us was really pushing the cars anywhere near as fast as they could go. We were both on our second event in the cars so there was a lot of learning going on. In my case I had brake bias issues as well as a pedal box that made heel and toe impossible (in many cases I would just not bother shifting down).

Kevin has a video from there when he did Ultimate TrackCarChallenge. You can time that video lap at the end to see what he ran with his supercharger.

2:00 flat:driving::hurray:

I data logged only 2 sessions on Sunday and was did a best lap of 2:10 and a theoretical of 2:08. With fixed brakes and proper heel toe I should be easily into the 2:05 theoreticals at least. I just need to learn how to drive better before adding power to the car :)

The guy in the Superstalker said he did a best lap of 2:01.5

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh forgot change rear caliper to 1.38 piston units and it will fix your bias issue I also recommend a bias valve in the cockpit to adjust on the fly. I put mine in the panel below the dash and trans cover.

Question about that - do you have individual masters with a balance bar as well as a bias valve on the rear line? I was reading somewhere that they dont recommend using both and it should be a one or the other approach.

Yes I run the bias bar slight front bias and us the dash valve to fine tune on the track. If your at the limit of the valve you djust bias bar and start over once you get the bias bar in the right spot then you should try to get the valve at a sweet spot somewhere near the middle so you can fine tune on the track. I had mine set so tht it was perfect on the track and I could turn four times at the drag strip for burn box the turn it back for autox or road racing. It worked well for me.

• 1 month later...

What you using for the data and display on the in-car? That is pretty sweet.

Video is from a Countour HD 1080P camera

Data from a Race Technology DL1

Data overlay in the video is using ChaseCam Dashware software

RNR,

Awesome run at Button Willow. Great lines, and smooth.

It was interesting to see that at every turn you would brake later than the CAT and

carry a bit more speed thru the corner than he did. Of course he was putting it on you

on the straightaways. Nothing a little boost won't fix... ;)

BW is such a fun track, looks like you guys were in 7 heaven out there.

The nice thing about the way Loren suggest to do the brakes is that as the fuel load

changes you can tweak the rear bias. That way you can keep every thing on the knifes

edge.

Our fastest lap during the UTCC was 158.6 giving us 12th overall.

Got beat by 400ths of a second by an atom... :(

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/utcc/results/

How do you like your DL1? I have the Dash 2 and I really like it.

Next time we are in the west I will let you know. Warning ::: Once you open this can of

worms it get mighty hard to control.... :)

I tell people driving these car is the funnest thing you can do in a car with your

clothes on... :D

I have really enjoyed your blog, thanks.

Edited by 7evin

Awesome run at Button Willow. Great lines, and smooth.

It was interesting to see that at every turn you would brake later than the CAT and

carry a bit more speed thru the corner than he did. Of course he was putting it on you

on the straightaways. Nothing a little boost won't fix... ;)

Thanks but I have to admit that my driving is average at best. I need more seat time before I get brave enough to keep my foot all the way to the floor :)

The nice thing about the way Loren suggest to do the brakes is that as the fuel load

changes you can tweak the rear bias. That way you can keep every thing on the knifes

edge.

I've already picked up the proportioning valve - hope to install it next weekend.

How do you like your DL1? I have the Dash 2 and I really like it.

The DL1 is awesome for learning the fastest way around a track though the ideal situation would be compare data with someone else in the same car. For eg in the Elise I compared data with an excellent local driver and found that while my best lap was ~5 seconds off his I was losing 1.2 seconds of that in just one corner of a 15 turn track - really gave me something to aim for at the next event. I'm considering getting the Dash 3 Lite as a shift-light+predictive lap timer display but need to save my pennies first.

Next time we are in the west I will let you know. Warning ::: Once you open this can of

worms it get mighty hard to control.... :)

My wife is already resigned to the fact that the Seven is going to be a life long project that will never be completed :D

I have really enjoyed your blog, thanks.

Glad you liked it though I should be the one thanking you and Loren for all the accumulated wisdom that you guys have shared on the various boards over the years.

• 2 months later...

I have made a long list of modifications to the Seven since my last blog update which I still need to document on here. In the meantime I wanted to share this video from the GGLC autocross on Saturday (watch in HD fullscreen).

The Seven may be unreliable, impractical and difficult to live with but the few days like this when everything works are absolutely worth the hassle. Incidentally we found the reason for the surging idle it ended up that I couldn’t drive the car for the rest of the day http://www.rahulnair.net/blog/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Originally from: [/url]http://www.rahulnair.net/blog/2010/10/19/setting-up-a-seven-when-things-just-work/

• 1 year later...

I also fixed my brake bias issues which were causing the rear to porpoise under hard braking.

http://www.rahulnair.net/blog/2012/02/03/brake-bias-issues/

Upcoming editions will describe a sound fix to run at Laguna Seca (hopefully) as well as a long drawn out engine rebuild.

Edited by rnr

I haven't had my car on Buttonwillow, and it's long sweeper, since putting a little surge box in my tank. Hopefully the 6X6X4 (ST100) is big enough

http://www.fuelsafe.com/catalog-2011/Page%2023.html

I'll have to look at replacing those bolts... I imagine the diff brace helps prevent that tearing of the mount up front.

I haven't had my car on Buttonwillow, and it's long sweeper, since putting a little surge box in my tank. Hopefully the 6X6X4 (ST100) is big enough

http://www.fuelsafe.com/catalog-2011/Page%2023.html

I'll have to look at replacing those bolts... I imagine the diff brace helps prevent that tearing of the mount up front.

I havent done Buttonwillow after putting in the fuel cell (had a surge tank last time) but I have done a few event at Thuderhill and had no issues (shorter sweepers though).

As for the bolts and the front mount I assume that as the first S2K prototype car mine had a lot of things that sounded like good ideas at the time but have hopefully been changed on the later cars.

I want aware of any Ultralites using the factory studs in the diff all the ones I have seen has the studs removed and grade 8 bolts installed. The diff brace is a must and all newer cars have the diff support nose reinforced. I would like to offer the diff braces as an option but there is to many variations in chassis to make it work they really need to be done in the car.

I am Hushpower build me some custom mufflers we will see how they work out they are 20 in long.

I am Hushpower build me some custom mufflers we will see how they work out they are 20 in long.

I have a Hushpower muffler on my car and was still over sound at Laguna (94db when 92 is max allowed) though I believe that it was primarily due to the intake side. Jim Rankin and I have made a couple of airboxes for the cars and will hopefully get to try them out on the 21st. Will report in after the event.

Edited by rnr

• 6 months later...

Drove it at the local autocross yesterday. The wheelspin you hear is due to some very worn rear tires (Nitto R-comps). The times were still competitive with supercharged Lotus Cup Cars on slicks.