What’s going on?

Canadian 7

It's a sad combinations of forums dying as a mean of web communication and seasonal limitations. No reason to talk about 7's when you put yours away and forget about it. Also hard for things to break when they aren't being operated.

Facebook having an active British 7 community only further hurts need of chatting in the threads.

Feel free to be a leader and reply to some threads. Conversation sparks further conversation.

Having enough numbers to make a forum work is critical. There are enough hard core participants on the US side to get a bit of back and forth. But if there are not then the discussion is dead - no interaction and no point in participating and the site withers. Facebook splintered our computer time from forums and then twatter came along and other forms of social media. Each sucks up some more time from that allocated to the computer.

I think Mike hit it on the head. I participate in a couple of auto related sites and traffic has slowed appreciably over the last few years.

I'm also involved in a statewide vehicle club and have watched participation and membership decline. It bugs me because as much as I enjoy playing with vehicles, it's the people that really make it fun.

Andy

Having enough numbers to make a forum work is critical. There are enough hard core participants on the US side to get a bit of back and forth. But if there are not then the discussion is dead - no interaction and no point in participating and the site withers. Facebook splintered our computer time from forums and then twatter came along and other forms of social media. Each sucks up some more time from that allocated to the computer.

I ran a forum for about 6 years. Total content was about 10x the size of USA7's (over a million posts) and in it's peak I would see over 1000 a day.

I witnessed the decline first hand about 4 years ago now, not only on mine but on the others I used to frequent. Whether it be facebook or other means, the forum hay day is over.

I'm glad to see people still regularly frequent here and address concerns and share their thoughts.

I think Mike hit it on the head. I participate in a couple of auto related sites and traffic has slowed appreciably over the last few years.

I'm also involved in a statewide vehicle club and have watched participation and membership decline. It bugs me because as much as I enjoy playing with vehicles, it's the people that really make it fun.

Andy

It's true, in the end of it all, being an enthusiast is a very social thing. You can have the nicest car in the world but if you're only one person on the island with it, it's not quite the same.

It bugs me because as much as I enjoy playing with vehicles, it's the people that really make it fun.

Andy nailed it. It was 2009 at LOG in Gettysburg when over a few (too many) drinks that a bunch of forum members - Yellowss7, Boxologist, Kitcat, MichaelD, Taber, plus others I have forgotten, and myself - hatched a plan for an annual sevens social event revolving around a two day HPDE. We decided we all liked each other. It worked better than I ever hoped. Over 8 years we have cycled at least 45+ seven owners (plus a lot of spouses and family members) through the event. Everyone I have met has been just wonderful and we have all got on so well. The unofficial network we have created as helped solve problems, source parts, source solutions to our cars offline from the forum but as a whole the forum helps knit it together. There have been other efforts to knit us together socially over the years - 2007 Tail of the Dragon, The CA Rockies trip, the (former) annual Carlisle PA Kitcar event, the work that Bob does to publicize Cars and Coffee in MD each weekend, the Stalker touring party down south, various other group drives over the years, etc. These all work to enhance our car owning experience.

So I feel for you Ron but I dont have the solution sadly. There are very few of us hard core enthusiasts that know how special our cars are.