NHTSA Issues Regulation Allowing Replica Car Sales to Begin

Vovchandr

Good news overall

https://www.autobodynews.com/index.php/industry-news/item/21889-nhtsa-issues-regulation-allowing-replica-car-sales-to-begin.html

https://news.yahoo.com/nhtsa-finally-passes-law-allowing-200500617.html

Because kit cars have been sold here for decades, this may not seem like news, but the key differentiator here is that the new rule allows for the production and sale of complete, fully assembled replicas. Like the U.S. import law, it will only allow for the sale of vehicles at least 25 years old, and builders will still have to license the original designs from manufacturers, but this eases many restrictions on the production and sale of both aftermarket reproduction and factory "continuation" cars.

Caterham has been waiting on this, we will have "turn key" Sevens with powertrains that meet the law. This will enable regular financing to be available as well as other benefits. Easy state registration, etc.

Caterham has been waiting on this, we will have "turn key" Sevens with powertrains that meet the law. This will enable regular financing to be available as well as other benefits. Easy state registration, etc.

I didn't know how big of a deal this was, just knew it sounded relevant and positive.

It appears to be huge news. Buying a turn key Caterham or Atom will open up the door quite a bit.

Wonder if this will somehow make my registration easier? Do these limited cars have to obey to things like OBD2 requirements? I'm still battling that with inspections in NY at the moment.

I didn't know how big of a deal this was, just knew it sounded relevant and positive.

It appears to be huge news. Buying a turn key Caterham or Atom will open up the door quite a bit.

Wonder if this will somehow make my registration easier? Do these limited cars have to obey to things like OBD2 requirements? I'm still battling that with inspections in NY at the moment.

If an Atom isn't a replica of an earlier production car, I don't think it will qualify.

Do these limited cars have to obey to things like OBD2 requirements? I'm still battling that with inspections in NY at the moment.

At this time, the way the 2015 SEMA/NHTSA regulation was written (and passed) engines used must conform to current model-year emissions standards. The EPA has issued guidelines for builders who go down that road.

Bill S.

PS: In your cars case, you "may" be able to get an exemption to the OBD2 ruling, it will not be easy, you will need an attorney, and lots and lots of patience..Either that, or you will need to dump the aftermarket ECU and install a factory harness with OBD2 port and all associated emissions parts, sorry.

The "WMI" VIN will allow easy registration. If you are having an issue getting registered in NY let us know, we can help. And yes, we didn't sell you your Seven but we have helped more Seven and Superformance owners get registered than we have sold cars! Please PM or email rick@timemachinesauto.com

Edited by Mark IV