Source for S3 rear brake caliper kits or replacements?

truckin-on

My '89 S3 Caterham DiDion has dragging rear brakes. It's not the handbrake, so I suspect the calipers are a bit crusty inside. They don't look as though they have been off the car since '89.  Are there any US sources for rebuild kits or replacement calipers, or do I have to go UK?  I did a search for this, but haven't come across any relevant posts (yet).

The calipers are Ford, with 0659/7 and 0658/4 stamped on them.  Could they be the same as a Merkur XR4Ti?

Thanks!

Edited by truckin-on

I am restoring an imperial Caterham and had no Sierra rear calipers to start with. I bought a new set for 210 GBP, including shipping to US. They came from Bigg Red:

https://www.biggred.co.uk/

Note: these are not made by Ford, but they reassured me that they had no issues with them at all (based on many sales) and were happy with the quality. Bigg Red has a good reputation. If I were you, I'd drop them an e-mail and see if they can supply a rebuild kit for your originals. Alternatively, slap your OEM units in the mail and have them refurn them - either with zinc plating or powder coating etc.

2 hours ago, Ferrino said:

I am restoring an imperial Caterham and had no Sierra rear calipers to start with. I bought a new set for 210 GBP, including shipping to US. They came from Bigg Red:

https://www.biggred.co.uk/

Note: these are not made by Ford, but they reassured me that they had no issues with them at all (based on many sales) and were happy with the quality. Bigg Red has a good reputation. If I were you, I'd drop them an e-mail and see if they can supply a rebuild kit for your originals. Alternatively, slap your OEM units in the mail and have them refurn them - either with zinc plating or powder coating etc.

Thanks for the link - I'll contact them Monday and see what they have!

4 hours ago, truckin-on said:

Thanks Ferrino!  Tony @ Biggred was very responsive and got right back to me. 

Link to kit and calipers: Seals and Pistons

Link to calipers:  Calipers

I've enquired about a kit for the front calipers - Spitfire I believe - and will order a set for both axles.

Moss Motors or Pegasus Racing can fix you up on the front kits.  Much easier to deal wit than the rears.

There is one trick on the rear calipers.....you have to screw the pistons back in after they adjust out.  I use the same tool I use to change out disks on my 5 inch angle grinder.

If you do the Spitfire calipers, be sure to order the seal that goes between the caliper halves. It's not included in the rebuild kits.

Some places will tell you not to split the calipers, but I've never had an issue, and it does make it easier.

DO NOT REUSE THE OLD SEAL

8 hours ago, 7Westfield said:

If you do the Spitfire calipers, be sure to order the seal that goes between the caliper halves. It's not included in the rebuild kits.

Some places will tell you not to split the calipers, but I've never had an issue, and it does make it easier.

DO NOT REUSE THE OLD SEAL

Thanks - I knew about this seal, but had not picked-up on it not being in the kits.  Biggred said they would include them if I asked - nice of them!  Here's the link to the Front (Spitfire) caliper kits:  S3 (Spitfire) front caliper kit

Order placed!

• 2 months later...

In the middle of rebuilding my calipers, and had not previously run into rear calipers with hand brake mechanisms like the Ford Sierra ones on the S3. A bit of poking around and found this Ford shop manual that covers the rear calipers on the Caterham (at least mine) quite well.  Pages 77 to 83 in the PDF - for future reference - may save someone from the search in the future:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6tbdi6wmpewlloi/80-Ford-Sierra-RS-Cosworth-Factory-Service-Manual.pdf?dl=0

Edited by truckin-on
  • Thanks 1