ViperT4 Posted Monday at 05:06 PM Posted Monday at 05:06 PM Greetings all- first post here. I acquired 1980 Caterham Super 7 recently. I understand this makes it an imperial chassis, short cockpit car and it has the Ford live axle. I am looking to acquire a roll bar for the car to eventually do autocross and track days. So if anyone has a lead on one I may be interested. I am in the Waukesha area of WI. 2- can anyone share pictures of how exactly a roll bar installs on the car. I haven't been able to find any pictures of where the front hoop meets the chassis for this particular generation 7. Here are a few pictures of what I'm working with on the driver's side rear shock tower. I have borrowed a street roll bar that should be for an early Caterham but nothing is lining up. No idea if it was possible for a De Dion axle car. Any pics or install documents would be great appreciated.
toldfield Posted Monday at 06:22 PM Posted Monday at 06:22 PM My 1982 roll bar is welded near the shock towers. A few years ago I replaced it with a single hoop and Petty Bar since no one rides with me, perhaps a mistake. The car is covered right now due to the rain but I’ll send along photos when I pull the cover off tomorrow.
ViperT4 Posted Monday at 06:24 PM Author Posted Monday at 06:24 PM 1 minute ago, toldfield said: My 1982 roll bar is welded near the shock towers. A few years ago I replaced it with a single hoop and Petty Bar since no one rides with me, perhaps a mistake. The car is covered right now due to the rain but I’ll send along photos when I pull the cover off tomorrow. I see, no mounting tabs that bolt it down?
toldfield Posted Monday at 06:35 PM Posted Monday at 06:35 PM Correct. I had a fabricator remove the original then bend and install the new one. The original one was too short. 1
7Westfield Posted Monday at 07:41 PM Posted Monday at 07:41 PM (edited) If you install a roll bar tall enough to do any good, it will be taller than your top frame. Here's pic of my Westfield stock bar. It's 16" tall, and doubles as top frame. I had to build a taller one when I used the car for my vintage driver school in 1993. It's 22" tall, so there's no way to put the top over it. If it will do you any good, I can probably have it -the tall one- in Appleton in November Edited Monday at 08:41 PM by 7Westfield
Origin7 Posted Monday at 09:04 PM Posted Monday at 09:04 PM For reference, this is a '89-ish imperial long foot box, De Dion. CTC between mounting bolts is 33.5". It doesn't look like this would fit your car.
ViperT4 Posted 7 hours ago Author Posted 7 hours ago Thanks! I agree likely not, but still a valuable data point.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now