How about ACB9s?

Al N.

10 pounds a tire? or 10 pounds in total? Big difference.

Al, I just talked to a guy who has his uncles Lotus 7 from the early 60s, and hasn't had it out in over 30 years. I may go take a look at it. I may want to talk to you about the restoration of yours. Happy Thanksgiving

Tom

Tom-

Can you shoot me your home address to al at Mintadv dot com?

I think the difference is 10 lbs a tire.

Happy happy to you, too. Very interested in the specs of the vintage 7...I've nerded out a bit on all the vintage stuff and would love to chat. Mine won't be John Watson perfect, but it will have to do....

Hi Al,

I also looked at those tires for my car since I was doing 13" and wanted the lightest for rotational weight. I was discouraged when I found out they are easy to puncture and prone to tramlining. They are 10 pounds total, where my A048s are 16 pounds with the 5/32 tread depth. My steel wheels are just under 12 pounds and I think the Kodiak Aluminum racing wheels are 8 pounds but about $300 each. I went from 32# to 28# per wheel and it was a jump in performance. Just some numbers for you to crunch.

From the data sheets I have found, and comparing the two closest similar sizes:

ACB9 in 6.5/23.0-13M size (165mm) weigh 15 lbs per tire

CR6 ZZ in 175/70HR13 size (6.9") weigh 21 lbs per tire

So with ACB9s, 6 lbs/corner weight savings over the CR6 ZZs; 24 lbs total weight saved (unsprung), plus your wallet will weigh that much less too.

NOTE: The ACB9s are also available in 5.0/22.0-13M size, listed at 12 lbs per tire, but that is a significantly narrower tire.

Source:

ACB9 data sheet (scroll down)

CR6 ZZ data sheet

Don't recall hearing from anybody who has used either one, though.

Edited by Sean

Not sure how you want to use them. If the ACB9 are anything like the ACB10 (both bias ply) I would not recommend them for road driving. While great on the track, the tramlining on regular roads is a bit disconcerting. But light indeed. My 7" ACB10 are something like 10.5 lbs (IIRC)

Edited by slomove

Road use. The wobblies I just bought have a UPS shipping weight (in box) of 10 lbs, so I think I can afford the extra weight of the cr6zz, especially considering the negatives you all describe. Not DOT, either, but when has that stopped anyone from being foolish!

Well, maybe a matter of getting used to. But when I drove them on the road for the first time (which I normally don't do) I thought something was broken. Normally, when I take the hands off the steering wheel the car keeps going straight ahead. But these tires follow every rut and crevice. On crowned roads they aim for the shoulder.

• 4 weeks later...