Setting up a Seven - the Ultralite Experience

rnr

I'm in the process of writing a series of blog posts about how I'm making my Ultralite "my own". Figured the folks over here might be interested as well. Since the HTML paste doesnt seem to work too well I'm just posting a link to the post and will keep adding links as I post more. This one is just an introduction and first impressions from when I got the car.

http://www.rahulnair.net/blog/2010/03/30/setting-up-a-seven-the-ultralite-experience/

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good discription on the Ultralite acceleration. Add a supercharger and it is double the fun! Keep us posted on the updates.

I am sorely tempted though I figure its best if I set it up to run well in NA before adding more power. That said I'd love to get a ride in Mojito the next time you visit the West Coast. :D

Cool, look forward to having someone relatively close that I can get some comparisons with in the future.

Thanks Mondo. My next post will include details of the cage that you were asking for. Finally got around to taking the pics yesterday and now I need to put them online and write everything up.

I am loving the aluminum wings/fenders... did anyone ever find a good, affordable supplier for these?

curious how dent and doink prrof these are? will they look like a reverse golf ball in 1000 miles?

I am loving the aluminum wings/fenders... did anyone ever find a good, affordable supplier for these?

curious how dent and doink prrof these are? will they look like a reverse golf ball in 1000 miles?

My car has ~4500 mile on it and the fenders are in pretty good shape. The only markings are from the time my left fender fell off the car and got some road rash.

your fender fell off?... yeah that would do it!!

did they come with the car? where did you get them at what cost?

Came with the car so no clue about procurement. Personally I'm looking to move to CF fenders if I can but haven't found a source for large diameter wheels (17 inch) yet.

Fender mounting is a known weakness of the Ultralite kit. After my right fender fell off due to the rivets failing I used bolts to reattach both fenders only to have the metal supports on the left fender to break on a track day. Luckily this ttime the fender did not actually fall off and I was able to unscrew the second support and continue on.

Edited by rnr

your fender fell off?... yeah that would do it!!

did they come with the car? where did you get them at what cost?

The front fender supports are 1/4 inch thick steel which is flat, and the front fender can vibrate in a circular motion centered about the axle. This is easily remedied by a brace added to the support, or as I did , added a rib on the flat surface. This had been corrected in later models.

The front fender supports are 1/4 inch thick steel which is flat, and the front fender can vibrate in a circular motion centered about the axle.

Since mine was the first prototype car the fender supports are actually a hollow square tube design. I should get in touch with Brian to see if he has any of the new design supports lying around.

P.S.: Jerry is the one who suggested replacing the original rivets with the nuts which is a very useful thing to do. Also makes it much easier to pull the fender off once the support fails :)

• 2 weeks later...

Great write-ups.

I am particularly interested in your tire choices. My tires will need replacing in the next year, and the Azenis seem to get a bit greasy as they get older or heat cycled, so I'll consider the Nitto's.

My tires will need replacing in the next year, and the Azenis seem to get a bit greasy as they get older or heat cycled, so I'll consider the Nitto's.

The Nittos are a night and day difference from the Azenis. With my 235 Azenis I would unintentionally spin the wheels in 3rd gear while with the Nittos it actually takes a little thought to get them loose. Also the lateral grip is so high that I actually destroyed my right front wheel bearing after just 2 sessions at Laguna. The wheel literally tilts vertically around the bearing in turns. Now its an old car with an old bearing that would likely have failed anyway but the Nittos likely did speed up the process :-)

• 1 month later...

My thoughts from a weekend at Buttonwillow. Includes pictures of Seven Se7ens, video of me chasing a Caterham R500 and details of a long tow home.

[/url]http://www.rahulnair.net/blog/2010/06/07/buttonwillow-weekend/

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/4678636437_7900422936.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/4679301698_7957538d1d.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4054/4679971755_7150266d74.jpg

I have new respect for the Ultralite! Maybe the Caterham R500 was slightly faster overall, maybe not. The cars seemed pretty equal to me, esp on the part of the last lap when there was no traffic. Both you and the Caterham driver seemed to know the track and drove great lines, but I wld give you the edge there (climb the curbs, baby).

Very different than the tracks we drive on in the midwest, ours have much more elevation, greenery and trees (to hit).

Mike

Rnr look on you tube under Organic racing. Kevin has a video from there when he did Ultimate TrackCarChallenge. You can time that video lap at the end to see what he ran with his supercharger. He only got few sessions so he still was learning the track . You get an idea though