Sevens Event - NJMP Track Day June 27 and 28

Croc

Michael:

I will be there both days also. I am in the process of reserving a track-side suite thru Tom (YellowSS). Not the cheapest option, but convenient.

I will be interested in how your Zetec-powered car stacks up against the new heavy hitting Duratec-Cosworths, as well as the Rover powered Yellow SS. You went whizzing by my X-flow at LOG 30's track day, so no mystery there.

Mike M.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Registered!!!

Looking forward to another track day with the 7 and meeting you guys! Would love some tips from some of the track rats in this group...I put up a thread asking for suspension alignment shops in the area if anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated!

-Ryan

Great Ryan, Welcome aboard. I believe we now have seven 7's doing the track day with a couple more possibly showing up to watch. Should be a good time.

As for track tips, don't hesitate to ask for an instructor to ride with you. That's never a bad idea.

Monday we are on the Lightning circuit, a pretty fast 11 turn 1.9 mile track. Turn # 7 is a blind righthander and the track continues to turn right so you really have to be aimed correctly or you can end up going of the track. It will take several sessions until you get comfortable with the line.

Tuesday we are on Thunderbolt, a 2.25 mile 14 turn track that has a section that our 7's handle much better than the bigger faster cars.

Two really nice tracks, check out some You tube videos of them to get a feel for them.

Tom

Hey Tom,

seven 7s...perfecto :D I'm actually hoping to learn a lot from you guys and I opted to have an instructor with me for at least the first session of each day...I've actually been signed off for HPDE3 just that yesterday was my first time ever out with the 7 and it was a nightmare to toss around the track compared to what I'm used to (C5Z06).

An input of 2 on a production car gets you an output of 2.

An input of 2 on my 7 got me an output of 14.

lol

Regardless, very excited to try out NJMP and meet up with you guys. Getting a proper alignment asap should get the car more balanced and stable.

Tom,

I just got off the phone with George. He may try to come over and visit with us if not drive with us. I suggested that if he wasn't going to drive to come later in the afternoon and stay for a beer.

Proj217:

Altho I am repeating myself (many times over :)), how fresh is your rubber? I found my se7en initially extremely challenging to drive on the track, then went to fresh tires and suddenly it was the car I always heard about: drivable, predictable, catch-able, velcroed to the track and reading my mind.

Just a thot.

Mike M.

Ryan, if you don't have any luck finding someone to set up your car. Try George Alderman (caterham Mid atlantic) in Delaware. He set my car up and I've been happy with it.

http://www.midatlanticcaterham.com/

I'm looking into a few shops but this might win out...it'd be great to go to a 7 specific shop for the setup. I'll give them a ring! Thank you!

Proj217:

Altho I am repeating myself (many times over :)), how fresh is your rubber? I found my se7en initially extremely challenging to drive on the track, then went to fresh tires and suddenly it was the car I always heard about: drivable, predictable, catch-able, velcroed to the track and reading my mind.

Just a thot.

Mike M.

Hey Mike,

Extremely challenging is the right term alright. 90% of my brain was just trying to keep the car from spinning around on me. One of the spec miata guys jumped in with me and said that the car really needed to be set up properly and that he suspected the corner weights are off as well...so we'll see how she goes after the alignment and all.

Tires are brand new Falken RT-615s and held up nicely actually for not being an R compound. I think a lot of it is just going to be working out the suspension correctly, the car only has 45 miles on it and 30 were yesterday at the track.

We have 7 Sevens confirmed! :hurray:

Drivers confirmed interest for one or both days:

Tom (Yellowss)

Mike (Kitcat)

Karl (Blubarisax)

Mike (Croc)

Stewart (Sabbot) - 27th only

Michael (MichaelD)

Ryan (Proj217)

Attending at least 1 day but not driving:

Dave (DaveD) - 27th

Ron (Redgoose)

Jack (Jvbtte/JLBtrans) - trying to make it work. not sure if car will be ready.

Unable to attend:

Andy (Pinballking)

Jon (Boxologist)

Tom,

I just got off the phone with George. He may try to come over and visit with us if not drive with us. I suggested that if he wasn't going to drive to come later in the afternoon and stay for a beer.

Great idea Michael, Hope he can join us either way. He has a wealth of racing experience and should be good for a couple of great stories.

Tell him, I'll buy his first beer. :party:

Tom

Three weeks to go and we Have 7 7s confirmed for the trackday. I've talked with two other Caterham owners who are members at the track who are possibles but won't commit definately yet. If George and both of them can make it we could end up with 10, 7s on track at once. :party:

Hopefully that will convince a few other of you out there to try to join us as well. S1 Steve??? Al? Now who has a nice wide angle lens on their camera to get some good pics?

Tom

Proj217:

The biggest advantage of an experienced se7en shop is they can take your car for a spin and tell you immediately whether the car's handling is spot-on or needs to be tweaked. And of course, they will not have to reinvent the wheel, they will know where to start.

FWIW: I am running 1.4 degrees neg camber up front, 1.8 in the rear, 4.7 castor, .06 toe out front, .03 neg tow in rear. My car's handling is neutral, predictable, steering effort is heavy when parking, perfect at speed.

Proj217:

The biggest advantage of an experienced se7en shop is they can take your car for a spin and tell you immediately whether the car's handling is spot-on or needs to be tweaked. And of course, they will not have to reinvent the wheel, they will know where to start.

FWIW: I am running 1.4 degrees neg camber up front, 1.8 in the rear, 4.7 castor, .06 toe out front, .03 neg tow in rear. My car's handling is neutral, predictable, steering effort is heavy when parking, perfect at speed.

Kit,

What is your ride height front and rear as well?

Dunno, and the car's at the shop where they are chasing a mysterious misfire. Maybe someone else will chime in. Why not open a new thread on that issue. Someone will post.

Mike,

Have you checked the crank sensor? It seems that it's those pesky little parts seem to cause most of the hard to find problems.

I can check my ride height tomorrow and send you a corner weight program that is very easy to use.

Edited by MichaelD