Ask me if 140 in a Caterham is fun...

blubarisax

I got to run the full oval track at Pocono Raceway last Saturday... NASCAR in a Caterham is something. I zipped past a bunch of Porsches and one Ferrari (that had to bother him).

The rest of the weekend we ran the double infield at Pocono and I had a great time. I finally got moved out of the green (beginner) run group and felt like I could keep up with the big cars. There is nothing more annoying than being on the but of a Porsche GT3 through all the turns only to have them not let you pass in the straight!!!

Karl

Okay...so we know it was scary :) but what I would like to know is:

1) Was the car stable or all squirrelly and unsettled?

2) Were you at redline in 6th?

I am sure Kitcat and Tom would like to know since they have never been that fast before :p .....although with Kitcat's new wheels he will now have a great opportunity to! We won't be able to hold him back! :D

Yes, I went to Mid-Ohio yesterday in my new car w/hopes of breaking the all-time track record:). But rain, rain, rain.

I did 7 laps in a downpour, got soaked, spun out and parked it. More carnage than I have ever seen at a track day. Many incidents-to the point where the event was stopped, and everyone was given a good talking to.

My wipers stopped working after 1st lap, speedo and tach after 2nd lap. So the S Africans have duplicated the British reliability.

Based on gearing/wheel tire combo and extrapolating speed at 4K, looks like 125 mph mite be it. I share Karl's trepidation of 140 mph.

BTW Karl, this was my 1st experience on the Avon CB500's I bought from you. Not much grip in the rain:). But they felt good and I think I may have a new favorite tire. The wheel tire combo was 8 lbs lighter than stock Birkin wheels and Toya RA1's, per corner!

125mph is the max of a Birkin??? No way - I would give it far more than that. Even the R300 I had at Silverstone made it to 135mph (or 138mph if you believe Caterham) and that was 35hp down on yours.

It is good to hear that you have got your new Birkin behaving enough to drive it on a track - pity about the rain.

I share your view on the CR500 tires - I love mine on the CSR.

140 was at 7600 rpm. The car felt fine, I had an instructor in the car urging me to go faster. Based on my gears and tires, I should run out of gears at 150 or so-given my 8200 redline. Who knows if wind resistance would prevent that top speed. I don't need to find out. I only had to slow to 100 in the banked corners!!!

My redline is 6800 and the CB500's are about 1 inch shorter than my RA1's. So revs out pretty fast. I think it has the power, but not the gearing. Since I have no functioning speedo or tach, it is all a bit murky.

I got to run the full oval track at Pocono Raceway last Saturday... NASCAR in a Caterham is something. I zipped past a bunch of Porsches and one Ferrari (that had to bother him).

The rest of the weekend we ran the double infield at Pocono and I had a great time. I finally got moved out of the green (beginner) run group and felt like I could keep up with the big cars. There is nothing more annoying than being on the but of a Porsche GT3 through all the turns only to have them not let you pass in the straight!!!

Karl

no disrespect, but did you consider the consequences of a burst tire on the oval, and meeting the wall in our flimsy tube-frame devices????

Ian,

You have a very valid point, I have to say ,I thought of the consequences every

time I went into turn 4 at Poconco at well over 100 mph in my 7, ( North course).

I have also run the oval at Pocono and Loew's Motor Speedway in my Mustang

Cobra at 130 +. I think back on it now, and I think good luck, average skill, and

good car prep, and common sense keep me off the very hard retaining

walls.

Point well taking.....

Edited by S1Steve

140 sounds like fun to me. My car often shows 146 but that is because I run 20" tires. Not the 23" tires that the stock caterham speedo is set up for. The little tires spin about 15% faster. Ergo I am only going 129 or so. Very booring when the Porsches, Cobras and Corvettes are blasting by.

Maybe next year Karl will put blocks on his pedals and let me test drive his car at NJMSP.:drool:

And then I woke up.:smilielol5:

Edited by MichaelD
spelling

Excellent point Ian. Can't say that that speed with a pack of 3,000 lb cars made the most sense, but it sure was fun. I routinely get to 120 on the long straights with PCA, but stay well away from the big cars; except to keep right up with them in the corners!!!

It would be lovely to have enough Caterham to run in a class of our own.

Karl

Michael,

The seat is adjustable and along with a couple of phone books you should be all set. Getting the seats back as far as I did and down as low as I did took a fair bit of effort with a big hammer. I even had to add a steering wheel spacer so I could reach it.