1996 Caterham Classic

No_6

1700cc Crossflow, 147hp built by Jay Ivey. Dual 40DCOE Webers w/K&N filters.

Ford Sierra T9 5spd, Quaif LSD, 4.1 gear ratio, live rear axle. Fully adjustable rear struts were put in less than 1,000 miles ago.

New Westco AGM battery + spare. Comes with tonneau, wind deflectors, some spare parts, spare tire mounting hardware (but no spare), and a fitted California Car Cover.

Stock heated windscreen.

13" wheels.

As some of you know, this car fell victim of theft/joyriding last year. Upon getting the car back, I had the motor torn down and everything checked out. They installed new valve guides, but other than that, the motor and transmission/clutch were fine. My only gripe is that after putting it back together, they didn't bother re-adjusting the carbs, so they're a little off. Other than that, the motor's in great shape.

There are some chips in the rear right wing, but other than that and some minor rock dings on the body, the car is straight. Needs new tires. I haven't replaced them because I was considering getting 15 inch wheels, and now that I'm selling it, I figure you'd rather go with your preference than whatever I'd put on there.

Available: now

10,000 miles

Registered in WA as a 1967 Lotus Super 7 w/collector's plates.

Seattle car.

email: lohenbrau@macpunk.com

Phone/text: 206-612-5395

Full documentation.

2nd owner.

$20,750 OBO

PM me for the VIN #

Addendum: The previous owner tracked the car, but I never have. He put 4.6k miles on the car, the rest are mine.

It started life with a different motor. The current motor has 6,000-7,000ish miles on it or so. The previous owner had a racing cam in there, which I lived with for a couple of years. I had Jay put in a milder cam, which made the car much, much happier on the street, and ironically, only lost 2HP off the top, while flattening the power curve.

Also, I had Jay install a manual choke, which is low left on the dash. Handy when starting the motor when it's cold. Pull it out, one pump of the gas pedal and start.

I also named the car "Gee Bee" which is on a small silver name plate low center on the dash. It's stuck on there with double-sided tape, so will come right off.

Oh, and in that first picture, you can see the soot mark on the wall from the exhaust. Yup. She runs rich, always has, but much more so when that hot cam was in there.

under-cover.jpg

motor.jpg

dscn0859_std.jpg

dscn1035_std.jpg

Edited by No_6

I don't know if it is the long or short cockpit, but I have a 32" inseam and it fits me about perfectly.

Drum rear brakes, and yes, 13" wheels.

My insurance picked up the tab for tearing down the engine. Total butcher's bill came out to around $4,000. About 20 hours of shop time, and $2 in parts ($2's an exaggeration, but valve guides and gaskets don't cost much). They did check the clutch, transmission and suspension as well.

I would have thought they'd have sorted the carbs also, but they didn't. It isn't bad, and it's certainly drivable, but it's something I notice because I know what it's supposed to feel/sound like.

• 2 weeks later...

Are the seats installed on sliders or fixed to the floor? If adjustable, are they all the way back for you and your 32" inseam? I've a 34" inseam and this could be to short. I'd like to know if I could drive it for a couple of hours to and event or on short to medium trips. I'm just under 6'4" and 205 lbs. Size matters. Thanks, Bud

Are the seats installed on sliders or fixed to the floor? If adjustable, are they all the way back for you and your 32" inseam? I've a 34" inseam and this could be to short. I'd like to know if I could drive it for a couple of hours to and event or on short to medium trips. I'm just under 6'4" and 205 lbs. Size matters. Thanks, Bud

Looks to be the same chassis as my '95 with bench seats. I'm 5'10", 30" inseam. I have piece of 1x2 to space the lower seat back forward about 3/4". This gets me good reach on the pedals. I also wear size 10 shoes and they overlap on the clutch and brake.

My longest blat so far was 5 hours with 3 or 4 stops to give the tail a break.

I've got a 30 inseam, and I am probably about an inch shorter than ideal for my bench seat S3. My Dad's a 28, and he really can't comfortably drive the car. A couple of inches matters a lot.

But my pedals are in middle position. Does anyone have the inseam drop between pedal positions? If you can pick up two inches, you'd probably be ok.

Car is sold.

BTW, you'd probably be fine with a 34" inseam. I had a little bit of room to move around, either sitting low, with my hips forward or bolt upright with my spine straight against the seat. A 36" inseam on the other hand would probably be right out.

Yup, local. Convenient for everyone all around.

BTW, the bench seats were fine...since I was strapped in with 4-point harnesses. Had I gone for longer drivers, the lack of lumbar support or a head rest would have been an issue. Oh, and the plank they called a 'seat. However,' a gel insert for the seat and a lower-back oad could have been fashioned fairly easily, and headrests can be added with a bit of work.