Jump to content

Brunton StalkerXL #23 Build


jevs
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got the engine mounted to my stand and pulled the Camaro oil pan, dipstick, and deflector. Corvette pan is backordered, but Summit wanted me to send these parts back for the exchange. I got a couple parts today from them that weren't backordered (dipstick, dipstick tube, and pickup seal).

20140806_194037.jpg

20140806_201244.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got my CNC mill computer on the network so I could use it to view the build files and videos in the shop. The phone was not cutting it. I get frustrated without a keyboard and mouse.

 

The floor pans and seat back are done. I plan to start on the hip panels tomorrow.

 

I have to replace another light ballast though. These dang Lowes lights I put in when I built the house are junk. I think this is the 4th ballast to go out. Hopefully the new ones I have been putting in are better. So far none of those have failed and they don't seem to buzz as much.

20140809_122905.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

Edited by jevs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hip panels and tunnel in. Slow going so far. It is taking a little longer because my car and panels aren't quite the same as the videos. Figuring out how to make the back of the tunnel fit nice took awhile. If you cut the seat back per the videos, then it is hard to figure out what to do with the gaps. The U shaped tunnel is just trimmed in the back with no flanges (unlike the 3 pieces in the video). So it is hard to make no gaps and get the metal to clear welds. I ended up using door edge on the rear of the tunnel where it butts to the seat back. This helps take up the gap left if you cut the seat back large enough to compensate for the welds. It also holds the back of the tunnel up letting it roll up above the weld cutouts. I basically shaped the top of the seat back tunnel to the shape of the welds, so you couldn't get it any closer than I did.

 

It's hard to tell in the pictures with all the paper on there, but it joins up nice and looks clean. No flanges and no screws in the area between the seats above the tunnel.

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The U shaped tunnel is just trimmed in the back with no flanges (unlike the 3 pieces in the video). So it is hard to make no gaps and get the metal to clear welds. I ended up using door edge on the rear of the tunnel where it butts to the seat back. This helps take up the gap left if you cut the seat back large enough to compensate for the welds. It also holds the back of the tunnel up letting it roll up above the weld cutouts. I basically shaped the top of the seat back tunnel to the shape of the welds, so you couldn't get it any closer than I did.

 

It's hard to tell in the pictures with all the paper on there, but it joins up nice and looks clean. No flanges and no screws in the area between the seats above the tunnel.

 

I noticed this too on my build. Good idea on the door trim.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forgot to ask earlier...

 

For the forward section of the tunnel (not the u-shaped AL piece), I know which piece to use for the top, but for the two side pieces, the two panels I have which I think are to be used for this are quite oversized...I want to say they are 4' long and maybe 15" wide with a 1" flange on the long edge. I'm estimating these measurements since I'm away from the garage at the moment.

 

Is this also what you have?

 

All my other panels are accounted for, so I'm not sure what else these big panels would be used for if not the forward tunnel side pieces.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Made some shims for the side panels. The distance between the bends makes the sides bow, so I added 1/8" shims between the bottom lip and the floor panels. This pulls the sides tight and straight. It also draws the front edge nice and tight against the square tube.

 

I also started on the dash and got it fitted. I just have to trim the outer edge. I can't say I miss playing with fiberglass.

 

I can also finish the tunnel top now.

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got my oil pan and the rest of the oil pan stuff today. Unfortunately the pan was damage. It looks like it went through hell getting to summit and then they put that box into my box which had no damage. So, now I will be waiting for them to order me another one.

I was about to put the pickup tube and deflector on and I noticed that a couple of the drain slots weren't even punched out completely! I ground those out and filed them and got those installed.

I also got my starter and starter bolts.

IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_1804.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Busy night. Even after dealing with the damaged pan and packing it back up, I still got some stuff done. I got my front tunnel top piece done and the dash all trimmed out.

You can see how the tab is captured between the tunnel top panels.

IMG_1812.jpg

IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1825.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...