-
Posts
318 -
Joined
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Store
Articles
Gallery
Events
Library
Everything posted by Slonie
-
Tyres - or as You guys say Tires :-)
Slonie replied to SimonRogers's topic in General Sevens Discussion
I like this idea—Honestly I've been thinking about this as I've been afraid to even ask for a shipping quote for a set of Advan A052s from the UK. The 13" size doesn't appear to be sold here. Nova ZZR/ZZS I'm not as worried about since presumably Roger Kraus Racing will have them eventually. I'm not really in a position to facilitate this though, perhaps one of the US Caterham dealers would be open to it? -
Now available: new high level indicator + brake lights!
Slonie replied to das76's topic in Parts For Sale / Wanted
All good food for thought here. I guess my MO from might be to drive with running lights in the hills UNLESS I'm in a group drive in which case somebody will be following me more closely, know I'm there, and need to see my brake lights. Likewise with around-town driving. For regular drives in the hills there's unlikely to be somebody following me closely so it's okay. Of course, none of this addresses the front half of the car, with dim halogens and turn signals that are incredibly weak if my lights are on (off-topic for this thread but definitely my next electrical investigation) Finally, If I really need maximum "fog" conspicuity I can always turn on my backup lights (two bicycle lights, if only I could wire them up as brake lights!) -
Now available: new high level indicator + brake lights!
Slonie replied to das76's topic in Parts For Sale / Wanted
This is good to know, thanks! (good feedback for me, and perhaps for @das76 too!) Kind of a tricky question of whether it's better to have running lights at the expense of braking conspicuity or not. I'll need to think about this (and maybe decide when I want to drive with my lights on — perhaps I'll just go back to using the rear fog for that) Although I notice now that it was an option when ordering! Maybe I should have ordered it that way, or else it's time to adapt them. In any case, if you're considering buying, you can get them as brakes-only or brakes+indicators... Excerpt from the top post of this thread: -
Now available: new high level indicator + brake lights!
Slonie replied to das76's topic in Parts For Sale / Wanted
I have taken to driving around with my rear fog on for conspicuity, and as a result of this I've had multiple people approach me to tell me "one of my brake lights is out". Every time I'd go and check, only to realize they just didn't see my actual taillights at all. Also, when I go for a drive with other car dorks they report the inefficacy of the OEM taillights (fellow 7 drivers don't seem comment, probably because we're used to ineffective lighting!) It took me forever to install my CaterLEDs but I'm reporting here as a happy customer! Installation was easy, the hardest part as usual was wrestling the trunk floor panel in and out of place, and also figuring out which end of the taillight connectors to squeeze to free them. Oh, and figuring out how to zip tie the wires out of the way under the trunk floor (ProTIp: Maybe do this before putting your trunk floor in place). I currently have them fixed in place with velcro cable ties as I am very noncommittal on positioning, but the current plan is to leave them where they are and perhaps supplement in the future with a dedicated high mount stop light on the top of the bar. Honestly, a three- or four-piece set that included that might be an idea to make in the future. Along with the Just Add Lightness LED taillight panels (installed at the same time, insanely huge upgrade), I'm confident my car is 10,000% more visible at night and that my brake lights will actually be seen now. Edit: Note that the cables aren't in place in this pic. I actually have them blue-taped to the sides of the trunk now as I fine-tune it. The included wires are long enough to position the lights freely. -
This is always good to hear, I've read accounts of having to use ratchet straps to encourage a different roll bar to fit on these cars!
-
We actually had 12 unique sevens on the drive but there was a little rotating in and out and we ended up with 10 for most of the drive. Another friend suggested trying to find an XI to join us but that was a tough ask. If we had stopped at 7-Eleven on the way to Fish & Chips we could have really made a scene. Obligatory fish and chips (and calamari) pic:
-
Noticed DPR has nicely machined and threaded plugs for the roll cage bosses, that might be a low-hanging 3D print project that even I could succeed at...
-
Okay, so the flag is because Ralph is the smart one amongst us. I actually want to take his lead but claim to be saving myself for an illuminated sand rail whip flagpole. The S4 is Ken of the Golden Gate Lotus Club. Twin Cam! And yes, this drive nominally takes place on 7/7 but 7/11 was the closest weekend day and I could not resist suggesting this date. We had a big group for most of the drive and everyone made it to the Fish and Chips destination without any mechanicals. And who has time? Well, I've been wrangling all the local 7 owners for the past couple years with things like this as the goal (as well as general drives and meetups and just connecting the community). Since this was "the big one", people really made an effort to come out, including from pretty far afield! Next year 7/11 is a Sunday so I'm pretty sure we'll do a repeat!
-
Our annual Norcal "7/7" Fish and Chips Run (actually on 7/11) was a big success AND came with free Slurpees! With 12 sevens attending I think this was the biggest west coast gathering of sevens in quite a while* and there's still plenty of room to grow! *with absolute respect to the California Caterham Club and their trackdays — had 12 sevens on Streets of Willow in 2005! See LowFlying July 2005) Looks like this date falls on a Sunday next year so I'm looking forward to doing it all over again in a year.
- 476 replies
-
- 10
-
-
-
WTB - Wheels that are NOT Prisoner OR Wagon
Slonie replied to gde31ff's topic in Parts For Sale / Wanted
Not US-based but my car came with Compomotive MLs front and rear (13x6 and 13x8). You could ask for a quote on 13x6 ET24 all around https://www.comp.co.uk/products/product.asp?item=ml1362-302-120 I am sure it would be fairly affordable, since their quote for 17x8 wheels (for another car) was shockingly inexpensive when I contacted them in the past. Granted, the shipping and tariff situation has changed considerably since then. I'm actually curious... -
WTB - Wheels that are NOT Prisoner OR Wagon
Slonie replied to gde31ff's topic in Parts For Sale / Wanted
We've got some pretty lively past threads on tire availability for our cars. Fresh in my mind because my R888Rs (in 13") are getting kind of worn and I'm about to try and figure out how much it would cost to get the 13" Advans here (thx @pethier for the reminder that they do exist in the right size for Caterham, but probably have to be imported...) -
Original GRP Caterham Seats by Tillet
Slonie replied to Gabriel Tyler's topic in Parts For Sale / Wanted
Sup Gabe! Does anyone know if the SV seats are the same or different (i.e. wider) than S3 seats? -
While I'm dreaming, a holder for the bonnet and nose cone would be really handy during longer working sessions... I've seen a few solutions for that on older threads though.
-
These hangers (and other parts) are great, now all I need is the wall space to place them! I need to print (or buy) one of those dash phone holders that attaches to the dashboard button snaps too... Seen a few different ones online and was admiring one on a friend's car last weekend.
-
Came across a gentleman with a Caterham on a flatbed today! I didn’t get to talk to you but if you’re seeing this, send me a message. Want to make sure your car’s running again the for 7/11 drive ;-)
-
- 1
-
-
I believe this is your engine spec (and mine). Courtesy of Archive.org's capture of USCaterham.com circa 2005:
-
Congrats! And don't worry, it turns out they're all projects!
-
Ooh, looks like a spicier-than-normal BRZ you got there (or your lucky grandson, rather). I'll accept this as an excuse as any to shamelessly post mine...
-
Congrats, which is it gonna be?
-
Oh I've had one in the past and probably will again! A Toyota/Subaru twin was my replacement for that car before I got the 7...
-
Not gonna lie the most shocking thing to me looking up close was how much room there was inside! (for the record, my view on Exocets is not that they shouldn't exist—itt clearly comes from the same thinking that got us into our own contraptions—but that I'd rather have the whole Miata than one that lost 700 lbs and all of the charm and usability...)
-
I'm not really an Exocet guy but when I saw them it seemed rude NOT to park next to them and introduce myself. Honestly this one might be the best one I've seen, set up with more of a typical 7 style (windscreen, almost-friendly headlights, not a full cage). He had front and rear wings except the fronts had taken flight. Nice fellows in any case!
-
As promised, I tried out the gas card I mentioned back on page 2 at my last fillup (or rather last-5-gallons-added). Worked great. Let me pump at basically full speed without it shutting off and the funnel meant I didn’t have to be so careful about my aim or making sure I got the flap fully opened. It does make me conflicted due to all gas fumes that aren’t being captured but it definitely does what it promises.
-
I’ll be on the lookout, but only if you post photos of the 4AG in the 7 😆
-
Admittedly, I have not tried to rely on auto-stop with this method and have instead elected to only put in as much fuel as I know will fit (5-6 gal usually). I'm wondering if I can catch an impending overflow by watching the funnel and pumping more slowly after the first 5 gallons, I'll give it a try next time.
