WCM Ultralite - engine clearance?

NecronomiconJules

Hi Ultralitists,

I have just joined the loon club. My S2K is getting shipped today - hopefully.

This seemingly simple operation brought up an issue serious enough to prevent transportation on a regular trailer: with the engine skid plate installed by the PO, my car stands all of 1.5 inches off the ground. And that's with the spring bases already pushed higher than the lowest position.

How low do your engines hang? Have you run into issues while driving on less than perfect roads? If so, what solutions exist for better clearance? Shallower oil pane, different engine mounts, dry sump lubrication, higher suspension settings?

All advice/pointers welcome.

Eric

That really doesn't sound like much clearance, as I think my Caterham has 3 1/2 inches after the addition of the Mid-Atlantic skidplate. I have to jack my trailer nose up as high as the truck's rear suspension will allow to get the right "angle" to load the Caterham on the trailer. On "regular" streets, I have been thankful for the skidplate more than once, as I can bottom on bridge transitions, speed bumps, curbs and foreign objects in the road. I got the skid plate after the incident when I came down a long hill, at a significant speed, but nothing to impress Skip, when the road leveled out just at the beginning of a bridge. The combination of the downward momentum of the car, the transition of road angle and the joint to the bridge resulted in a "hit" that should have removed my oil pan--at least that is what it sounded like. In our club trips, I try to follow one of the E-types and when I see sparks I slow way down and/or re-route the Caterham!

Taber

That really doesn't sound like much clearance...

Agreed - thanks for the perspective. 4+in is realistically necessary then. It appears that the S2K engine is particularly high, so I was wondering if fellow owners could chime in.

If you have problem, I have this. Yours for cheap.

Thanks - excuse the novice: what is it exactly, a shallow S2K oil pan? How is it different from the stock one?

Cheers.

Eric

Agreed - thanks for the perspective. 4+in is realistically necessary then. It appears that the S2K engine is particularly high, so I was wondering if fellow owners could chime in.

Thanks - excuse the novice: what is it exactly, a shallow S2K oil pan? How is it different from the stock one?

Cheers.

Eric

I don't know....I measured it and only lost 1/2 a quart.

I never used it. It's just my option in case its low.

Congrats on the new WCM SK2. :cheers: Pictures, please.

The Miata oil pan in my Caterham has less than 2.5" road clearance. I can get it in and out of my trailer without scraping as the trailer has a beaver tail inside the back door/ramp that allows the oil pan to pass the break over point between the ramp and beaver tail before it ramps on up to the normal floor. I don't have to unhook the trailer to do this.

I am very careful about road debris and haven't had a problem, however when a friend was driving the car and was pulling into a parking spot that had a speed bump in front of it I was yelling go left, go left and we went over the speed bump anyway and smacked the oil pan hard. I got out and expected to find a puddle of oil under the car but there wasn't even a drop, When I got home I put it up on the lift and inspected for cracks but didn't find any, just some of the fins on the bottom of the cast aluminum were worn down a bit.

Edited by scannon

You will enjoy your new Ultralite. Here is a pic under mine, it is deceiving from the angle taken but the frame directly across from the pan measures 4.75'' to the ground and the pan is 3.25'' to the ground. Clearance between the pan and the skid plate is just 3/16''. I think there is another pic in my album.

mike

You will enjoy your new Ultralite. Here is a pic under mine, it is deceiving from the angle taken but the frame directly across from the pan measures 4.75'' to the ground and the pan is 3.25'' to the ground. Clearance between the pan and the skid plate is just 3/16''. I think there is another pic in my album.

mike

sorry if the pic isn't there, it said it uploaded

Usually the pan run about 2.5 to 3" from the ground it will depend on wheel and tire size. If it has rubber biscuit style engine isolator between the frame and engine mount one may have gone bad letting the engine down a bit. Might check the passenger side sometimes the exhaust will soften it up and it will rupture.

After receiving the car I measured the clearance. The good news is that at its lowest point the skip plate is 2 inches off the ground, and generally 2.5 inches.

Following Loren's suggestion I looked at the engine mounts - pictures attached. The bushings feel fraid and old to the touch. Is that the cause, and what are my options?

Exhaust side engine mount - side.jpg

Steering side engine mount - side.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

As info, the exhaust-side engine mounts tend to melt and fall out due to their proximity to the headers. You might want to consider adding a heat shield around that mount.

Here's some info about one way to protect it:

http://idisagree.org/wikitest/tiki-index.php?page=Engine+Mounts&structure=WCM+Ultralite+Unofficial+Wiki

Unless the previous owner had the car corner weighed it great idea to have it done from a performance, ride and safety point. If your only going to street drive just have them set the ride a bit higher and your fine for most any rolled curb or minor street trash. if your going to do both street and track days you can pay them to do two ride height corner set ups. Get a set of cheap digital calipers and record the dimension from a fixed point like the lower shock eye to the adjustable ring on the shock for each setting. Then you can adjust them yourself for what you want to do. NOTE! The changed measurements are not going to be the same at all four corners so you can't just crank them all down the same distance. (Meaning if you have all four properly weighted at 3 1/2" ground clearance and the car "level" when you lower it to 2" for a racetrack each shock/spring is not going to go down exactly the same distance to keep the car still level and properly weighted) Be aware this also changes the suspension geometry (camber.toe/bump etc,) so you want to decide which setting you want "best", track or street and have it set closer to the one you pick.

Might be wise to sound out members here and at other car clubs for a suspension shop in your area who is familiar with setting up four whell independent suspensions on cars without "factory setting to reference. I'm sure I and several other S2K owners here on the forum can send you or post here what we have found works for us.