Anybody interested in a Birkin race car build from South Africa?

kwiksteve

Hi all, I am starting a new build using a Birkin factory chassis with a couple of tweaks.If there is interest I am willing to document it.

Sure, we always like to see a well documented build.

Certainly, always interested in how these are built. I had a build log on this site and I found it helped me keep things organized and going. "People are expecting me to report, so I guess I'll have to do more"

Dan

Hi all, I am starting a new build . . . If there is interest I am willing to document it.

Steve,

That's like walking into a bar and asking "Can I buy anybody a drink?" :D Welcome to the forum. And please, post lots of photos during the build. Cheers!

DSC_0007.jpgDSC_0009.jpgDSC_0008.jpgDSC_0015.jpgDSC_0016.jpgDSC_0003.jpgThe stand is homemade.Some pics of the chassis modified to go with inboard suspension .The modification was done by Garreth Taylor a expert in Johannesburg who runs his own racing team Taylon Motorsport.He also manufactured the fully adjustable control arms for all four corners.For about three months I have been trying to figure out how to adapt the chassis and transmission channel as I will be fitting a nissan sr20vet engine(sourced ex JDM) mated to a five speed nissan silvia gearbox and Subaru Forrester 4.441

Fitting an SR20 will be interesting indeed. I have an SR20DE Autech with 6-speed gearbox that I bought from a friend for my Locost 7 build. He bought the engine before his Birkin kit arrived and then discovered there was no way it would fit without serious cutting and welding, which he didn't want to do. He bought a Toyota and Type 9 and I got his SR20 .... But you are going beyond mere kit assembly. :-)

Before I continue just a couple of pics of my current car (pre `95 Birkin)which my kidds unfortunately have to share.I bought the car three years ago as a licensed road car but as the years have passed I have removed all of the street legal bits.It is currently fitted with a Toyota 1600 20 valve blacktop with a Toyota T50 transmission.The picture shows with trailor tyres and rims as we race on slicks.

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

It has taken me about two months of looking at the chassis vs engine/transmission before I decided where and how to cut.[ATTACH=CONFIG]10397[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10398[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10399[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10400[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10401[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10402[/ATTACH] As can be seen the engine sits very high with the sump sticking out below the floor.A dry sump will be needed.I have ordered a diff fitting kit from BIRKIN and once the diff is fitted I will replace all the floor sections with the same material.The only way to do a clutch job in the future will mean that the whole engine/transmission assembly will have to be removed below the car as i could not fit it in from the top.

• 3 weeks later...