Any Kits Fit a K20 Motor?

sciff5

I'm looking at the Brunton Stalker, but it's very apparent from talking to the guys over there that they're not really interested in developing 4cyl options other than the new miata kit they just put together.

I like the miata kit and I think using a donor car is a great idea, but the miata engine sucks.

Anyone know of any other kits that would accommodate a K24? It's dimensions are very similar to the F20c so kits using that engine may be adaptable.

Thakns guys

The S2000 trans is stronger, but the Miata trans is strong enough, especially the 6 speed. I would dispute the costs, there are a lot of Miata's out there, and you only need a NA or NB trans, that's 1990 to 2005, so that's a lot to choice from.

Graham

I like the miata kit and I think using a donor car is a great idea, but the miata engine sucks.

Thakns guys

Nothing wrong with a Miata engine. The one in my Caterham dyno'd at 301 RWHP and far more torque than the S2000 engine. The Miata 5 speed trans has given no problems at all.

SkipCannon-BA.jpg

The WCM Ultralight cars are set up for the S2000 engine and transmission although IIRC they are no longer in production.

Westfield also has a version based on a Miata donor. This newly completed one based on a Miata pallet doner showed up at our British Motoring Conclave last month complete with clams.

DSCN7621.jpgDSCN7622.jpg

A boosted Miata engine vs a S2000 engine isn't quite apples to apples, especially since a boosted Miata engine is likely to go boom way way way sooner than a S2000 engine ever will.

But, the problem with the K20/K24 is the longitudinal layout. There's a guy who is running NASA TT in his S2000 with a K24 in it, and has lost two motors due to oiling issues. If you could dry sump the engine, I'm sure it'll do fantastic, but the oil pan options currently available don't seem to keep the oil where it needs to be for a longitudinal layout.

To swap it in, you'd could use the ballade kit that fits a K20/K24 into a S2000:

https://www.balladesports.com/products/hondas2000/s2000-to-k2024-swap-kit

It's not cheap and you'd really only need the gearbox to engine adapter, as well as the exhaust manifold. Then you'd need to fab or buy the intake manifold so it faces forward.

Would be a fantastic motor to use, since you could build it up to do 300whp NA, just go with a dry sump setup.

Otherwise, use the F22C for the stronger valvetrain and torque, or the F20C for the revs. Can't go wrong with either.

Bottom line, the S2000 drivetrain would be the best way to go, cost wise and reliability. If you ever get bored, throw a supercharger on it and go nuts.

I'm not an expert, but it seems a little brave to conclude that a 300rwhp Honda 2 or 2.2L NA engine will definitely be more reliable than a boosted 1.8L Mazda engine. The weak link on the Miata is not the engine (mostly the diff). I agree Honda makes a wicked engine, but more reliable at that power level is not obvious to me. The Miata engine has piston squirters and I believe has a more significant racing pedigree.

Having said that I too looked into using the K20 engine in my Caterham, but was eventually turned off by the investment to get close to 300hp. It was also difficult to adapt to a trans that would fit, but that doesn't appear to be an issue in a Stalker.

I agree the Miata engine is a little outdated technically and there are few better transmissions that the Honda unit, but I'm not sure I would overlook the Miata engine if it was so convenient to install.

Daniel

There are standard processes to mount a k24 north and south. Just do a little research. For mine it was a Type S oil pump and a Canton North and South sump. My motor has been thrashed at many track days without an oiling issue. There are quite a few K-Miata cars in the area, many track dogs and I have never heard of an oiling issue. Dave the owner of K-Miata has been trashing his can for 3 or 4 years on the same motor.

Graham

One thing to think about is the limited supply of S2000 engines and transmissions. I love the 2.2L and 6 speed in my S2K but you can find, literally, a hundred Miata power trains for sale for every S2000 power train on line, and for a small fraction of the price. That said, I have been seriously tracking my S2K for 6 years and my total outlay for repairs and maintenance has been for one throttle position sensor and six oil filters and full synthetic oils every fall before storage. Oh, forgot trans, diff and brake fluid changes that I do but probably don't need and are not related to the motor.LOL.

Here's the deal. The Stalker was developed from a 2.8 GM v6 platform. Then the SC 3.8 became the engine of choice, but after one was converted to a v8 then most folks seemed to do the v8's. Scott took over and redesigned the Stalker into the M-Spec, but still offers that in a classic body style. Now they have out the Miata based model line.

A 4 cylinder will fit in a Stalker and this is an example (the one and only I believe). http://www471.pair.com/stalkerv/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=17181

There was one builder who went electric Stalker.

There may be more Stalker knowledgeable owners that could verify or dispute this.

Dale

Birkin S3

Stalker V6 3.4na

Lotus Europa S2

One thing to think about is the limited supply of S2000 engines and transmissions. I love the 2.2L and 6 speed in my S2K but you can find, literally, a hundred Miata power trains for sale for every S2000 power train on line, and for a small fraction of the price. That said, I have been seriously tracking my S2K for 6 years and my total outlay for repairs and maintenance has been for one throttle position sensor and six oil filters and full synthetic oils every fall before storage. Oh, forgot trans, diff and brake fluid changes that I do but probably don't need and are not related to the motor.LOL.

S2000 drivetrain is extremely stout when in stock form, only things you got to be on top of is:

- Timing chain tensioner

- valve adjustments

- diff fluid changes

Now if you have the F20C (2.0), then you add to the above list:

- valve guides / retainers (unless you swap them out to the F22c parts).

Also, a 300whp miata 1.6/1.8 would be cheaper to build than a 300whp K20/K24, because of engine costs, but 300whp in a K20/K24 is a mild build and hardly pushing the limits of the K-series motor. While the Miata motor at 300whp is at the upper limits, especially considering you've nearly doubled it's output.

But it really boils down to your budget:

- S2000 drivetrain (engine, gearbox, diff) = $3000-$4000

- K20/K24 (engine only, plus adapter, plus S2000 gearbox) = $2500-$3500

- Miata drivetrain (engine, gearbox, diff) = $1000-$1500

S2000 drivetrain would be the most power out of the box and the most reliable, as well as the most fun.

K20/K24 would require the most work and fabrication to make work (still pretty easy)

Miata would allow you to use the money you saved to go to more track days :D

I have a Westfield that uses the S2000 engine and trans and it suits the car perfectly. Mine has all stock internals and ITB's that bump the power up some. Currently it's putting 220 hp to the wheels and so far it's not given me any trouble at all. I just love it.

dave