Insurance in Ontario

theDreamer

The other thread about insurance got me thinking, who uses what here in Ontario? I did a search but most of the insurance related threads are too old. We don’t have to worry about things like Drive Clean anymore. Plus, my “new to me” car is a well documented 1993 Caterham. I am hoping I can get it registered as “Historic”. If so I’ll probably go with one of the big names like Hagerty or Grundy. Any thoughts?

57 minutes ago, theDreamer said:

The other thread about insurance got me thinking, who uses what here in Ontario? I did a search but most of the insurance related threads are too old. We don’t have to worry about things like Drive Clean anymore. Plus, my “new to me” car is a well documented 1993 Caterham. I am hoping I can get it registered as “Historic”. If so I’ll probably go with one of the big names like Hagerty or Grundy. Any thoughts?

One word of concern is that historic often comes with limitations either by registry or insurance company (such as not allowed to daily drive, drive to work or use for chores and miles limit). Your results will very depending where you are and who you use. Just a word of caution. 

• Like 1

Ask to see the policy wordings.  Some of the classic car policies have garage restrictions (e.g. type of construction, locks, etc) which you need to meet.

Hagerty usually has the most flexible wordings. 

• Like 1

I just got a quote from Hagerty for my 2004 SV (arriving in April). I wanted to make sure I could get insurance before I purchased the car in the UK, RHD. Although the car is not quite 25 years old they agreed to insure it. There are mileage restrictions but if you are only driving it occasionally and not doing frequent long road trips it shouldn't be a problem. There is no insurance if you take it to the track (obviously).  I keep the car in a locked garage in suburbia .... but Croc makes a valid point, I will read the fine print! 

• Like 1