Rotus group?

@Marek     I have a list of virtually all components and

their stock numbers,

now THAT is something I could have used several months ago  :-)   (could STILL use, as I've been flying blind)
I had to find them all on my own. ...maybe 75% done at best.  (no paperwork with the car, only a couple pics)

...wondering if we can get a channel here just for Rotus conversations... condense it all in one place.

ptegler

3 hours ago, ptegler said:

...wondering if we can get a channel here just for Rotus conversations... condense it all in one place.

I don't want to break the forum up like this.

• You do it for one make, and you have to do it for all of them.  Then we suddenly have sections for Rotus, Caterham, Burkin, Westfield, WCM Ultralite, Stalker, etc.  Some people will naturally ignore a make-specific forum even though they may have insight that's helpful.  The goal of this forum is to bring people together given our shared passion for se7ens, not segment us into small user groups. 
  • It's not necessary given the effectiveness of search.  If you have something that is very Rotus specific, put Rotus in the title to aid future discoverability.  A quick search just now for Rotus in content titles returns quite a few posts.  https://usa7s.net/ips/search/?&q=rotus&quick=1&search_and_or=or&search_in=titles&sortby=relevancy  

We are a small group, and easily excited when someone new joins our sub-club.  But yes, keeping the forums general does make sense.

It would be interesting for those of us with less common variants if it was easier to search for other users with the same variant.

11 hours ago, Donnie said:

@Marek     I have a list of virtually all components and

their stock numbers,

There is a well known parts cross reference which is about a page and a quarter long.  If yours is more extensive, several of us are very interested.

RotusPartsList1of2.thumb.jpeg.45e35a6710b4923549e66193693ef101.jpegRotusPartsList2of2.thumb.jpeg.e2dab9adc6bd81e30ce2cb71b05b5b82.jpeg1990_rotus_seven_1635882657910832ab20210926_213138.thumb.webp.bb286c1804ee27a7bc5eeb6101a39015.webp

Edited by Marek
Added additional version.

The hot question for me at the moment is the purpose of the four toggle switches in lower center of the dash.  Only two of mine are connected, and are not using the original wiring, so I have no idea of their original function.

31 minutes ago, Marek said:

It would be interesting for those of us with less common variants if it was easier to search for other users with the same variant.

Go to advanced search (do a search with an empty field), then click the Member Search tab, and enter Rotus in the Se7en field.  However, for that to work well, people need to put that data in their profile.  As seen in these search results, only three people with a Rotus have done that.  I'd love to see everyone fill out that field as well as their location, as both bring a lot of benefits, but people have a right to decide what they choose to share publicly.  BTW for those of us with two different brands of se7ens, you can enter them both in your profile and search will figure it out if someone only searches for one of them.

As far as the parts list; my list overlaps but is not the same. I'll compare and come up with one complete list. As to the toggles; Rob (the previous owner) showed me they all worked but I wasn't taking notes. I'll check them, figure it out and get back. I have a set of 40DCOE Webers coming tomorrow that I want to install. Anybody want a set of Mikunis? 

2 hours ago, Marek said:

The hot question for me at the moment is the purpose of the four toggle switches in lower center of the dash.  Only two of mine are connected, and are not using the original wiring, so I have no idea of their original function.

can answer that one...  at least on #93....  L->R 

headlights (off-park-head) 

heater fan (off-lo-hi)   

wipers   (off-low-high)

EMO buried under dash,  pull down red pin

oem  switches1.JPG.58562fd71eed1bf03246638fb3101aef.JPG

had to 're-panel' it to match what switches I could find...holes didn't match

IMG_2202.thumb.JPG.dfbd3f5dba42bd6b126b14ec8f57ae9a.JPG

My headlight high/lo beams, are to the left of the steering wheel, part of the turn signal switch assy, apparently out of a '88 ford Probe(?).
The factory Five guys use them, and is how I was able to correctly wire mine back up.

then I got stupid.  90% re-wire-replacement of all dash elecs
L->R   
       moved IGN key over so it's not right over my shift knob! 
      START button 
      headlights  
     foglights    
      heater fan     
      emergency blinkers   
     3 speed wipers
     elec rad fan override
     interior lights

changed the LEDS between speedo/tach, LED logoed indicators, oli press,  BATT, and high beam
that lever on the left, pull back alternates hi/lo beams.  Up/dn on the lever is self canceling turn signals

IMG_3203.thumb.JPG.bedf87c11c2c308840088d4106c148ac.JPG

I hat that last pic!  for the life of me, at a distance, that wheel looks redish brown with this camera
only up close at the right angle does it photo correctly,

IMG_3190.thumb.JPG.02ac6c2ca844410b653f7a411156a1a2.JPG

Starter button on the far left.

Non-canceling turn indicator stalk hiding to the left of the wheel.

Below the starter button is a blanked hole with no wires near it.  (Would be a handy location for a battery isolator switch.)

Matching horn button to the right of the wheel.

The top row is self-evident.

The switch marked 'Lights' activate the driving lights mounted in place of headlights. (to be corrected)

Just out of sight to the right is a boost adjustment dial for the HKS computer.

I assume one switch should be for the heater and one for high beams.  But that still leaves one unused switch.  Perhaps the mystery will be solved once I pull the cowl to refresh the dash wiring.

I am not sure what parts bin donated the switches.  The tips are illuminated when the switch is on.

image.thumb.png.cda091002640292c73fd5d95cc19adb9.png

@Marek I like your dash a LOT more than mine.
I coulda'/shoulda'/woulda' simply used a ton of my MG and Triumph parts rebuilding this vehicle, but as acquired, #93 was still 95+% original, and I was (fool heartedly?) trying to keep it that way.   :-P     .... hind site.

solved my 'log book' documented history of exhaust re-welds. I replaced the rear exit oem exhaust manifold with a much later tuned(?) center down exit cast iron 4-2, and custom jigged the 2 pipes that double S turn and snake out the side, before joining into one at the flange.  I just this weekend inserted a  double core flex joint aft of the flange.   The silencer is a 2" ID,  26" long Maniflow  glass pack.  A s.s 45 exits just outboard and below the leading edge of the fender . It also got custom formed ABS fender chip guards.  It sounds fanTASTIC! . That reshaped chrome heat shield was from the Harley bagger pipe that proceeded this configuration.  

And note right at the top of the pic, blue 3D printed fuse block cover, right next to my master battery cut-off switch.
From the drivers seat, or standing beside the car, it's easy to reach under the dash from the side  and flip the switch.
(mounted this way as it's a full alternator disconnect setup)

IMG_3589.thumb.JPG.c326bb288c17ee3c877f160ad540caa3.JPG

ptegler

I do like the fuse block cover and battery switch.  Nice, clean, solutions.

Exhausts are a whole other topic.  My car was built with dual rear exits which came out the sides and routed inside the rear wheels.  The most recent previous owner simplified this with a nice single 3" pipe on the right side with a resonator.  But it needs more.  The pipe length is less than the turbo rotary wants; and the decibels is more than you want for touring any real distance.  A tried a Supertrapp; but that was not the right answer.  I may try a Spintech next.

Originality is an interesting question with these cars.  Each of our three are largely original factory cars and notable in the history of the company for different reasons.  Does that much matter in the world of Sevens?

On 7/14/2024 at 8:01 PM, Marek said:

We are a small group, and easily excited when someone new joins our sub-club.  But yes, keeping the forums general does make sense.

On 7/14/2024 at 8:07 PM, Marek said:

There is a well known parts cross reference which is about a page and a quarter long.  If yours is more extensive, several of us are very interested.

RotusPartsList1of2.thumb.jpeg.45e35a6710b4923549e66193693ef101.jpegRotusPartsList2of2.thumb.jpeg.e2dab9adc6bd81e30ce2cb71b05b5b82.jpeg1990_rotus_seven_1635882657910832ab20210926_213138.thumb.webp.bb286c1804ee27a7bc5eeb6101a39015.webp

Compared parts lists. Keep in mind mine is a 1981. The above list is dated 1991. The only differences in my  list are the addition of the following:

Front turn signal    Harley Davidson (built into rear view mirrors)

Speedo cable   83710-29345

Spring Wrapped Brake Hoses  (Toyo) 90947-02317-86

Stop Light Switch    (Big A) 325-6   US14 std

Radiator  21" Mazda

• Thanks 1

#0 RED at 12 o'clock is master switch OUT, power to starter, and high power feeds (relays supplies)
There is a 10ga BRN wire right under that #0 RED, hooked to the master switch ALT out terminal and is the main ALT BAT terminal.
at 6 oc'clock, The battery + terminal feeds the master switch PWR IN, and has a jumper over to the ALT IN terminal of that pole of this DPST master switch

IMG_2537-switch-cropped.thumb.JPG.7b189d76a2db20058f948c875b42d356.JPG

anyone wanting a fuse block cover,, let me know and I can post the STL file to print your own.
Actually....    Rotus fuse box lid.stl

ptegler

• 1 month later...