head and Neck support device recommendations

yellowss7

With the end of the trackday season at NJMP fast approaching, my SA2000 Bell helmet will need to be replaced for next season. I am thinking that a HANS type device might be a prudent addition to my safety gear.

Does anyone have any experience/recommendation? I talked to one racer who said stay with the HANS brand, and one other that said if you don't require SFI rating, then he likes the ISSACS type device. Price wise they seem about the same.

Thoughts?

Tom

I've used the HANS for about two years now. Last year I got it updated to the sliding tethers, that makes a big difference, you are able to turn your head fully from side to side. I also use the Schroth HANS friendly 2" shoulder belts. I don't really notice it when I'm in the car. I used to think there seemed like there was too much slack in the tethers, until I hit a spinning Corvette at about 80mph. I felt my head go forward until they reached the limit of the tethers!! Most sanctioning bodies require them now. I think it's a wise investment.

I use a Safety Solutions R3 which is SFI rated and more importantly for me works with 3 point belts as well as 5/6 points. It also puts no pressure on the collarbone which can occasionally be an issue with HANS

http://www.safetysolutionsracing.com/rage-series/

I need a helmet too... looking to get one with Hans posts installed

Most new helmets have the HANS holes pre-drilled and it takes

I recently started using a HANS. When I first tried it on I thought it might bother me some, but I hardly notice it while driving. I have the Sport Series II, which has a lower top, making it fit more easily with my seat.

The thing that has become a pain is the amount of time it takes me to get situated in the car! Between suit, shoes, helmet, HANS, arm restraints, harness, and gloves, it's not a quick process! Well worth it for the safety, of course.

Justin

I also use an R3, used it at NJMP last summer. I can put it on myself, it doesn't require someone out side the car to assist w/straps. And it doesn't require any modifications to your car's existing belt system.

I attach it to the helmet, then put helmet on, then buckle R3. I bought it 4 years ago so there may be better systems out now, I haven't looked.

It is self contained (doesn't rely on shoulder straps). So you can use w/3 pt system. And you can hop from car to car w/it on (use as a passenger). There is almost no neck rotation tho, so you must have mirrors adjusted perfectly. It takes abt 5' to get it on, and another few minutes if you are using arm restraints, then the 5-6 pt harness, so buckling up is a process. So I usually start abt 10' before griding. Once out on the track, it is invisible, and adds a sense of (hopefully real) protection.

Edited by Kitcat

Been using a Hans for 2 years now. No complains about it. It take about 5 more seconds to put the helmet on...

It's comfortable even while using 3" shoulder straps. Since the shoulder straps are used on the street too.

It's one of those thing that you hope to never have to use it... But glad you have it ;)

Does anyone know if the 6 mounting points for the sholder harness is in the correct position to work properly with the HANS device or do the mounting points need to be modified?

Also I have the 3 inch wide harnesses and it looks like the HANS device is designed for a 2 inch wide belt. Does it still work ok with the 3 inch belt?

Tom

Tom - I have been using the HANS device for track days in the Caterham for the last year and a half. I have the three inch harness and it works very well. Our mounting points for the shoulder straps should be the same although I use the lowered floors. Bottom line I won't do track days without it - once in the car and strapped in the only time you'll notice its there is when you try to turn your head to back-up. But that's what mirrors are for! I would recommend going with the sliding tethers - I've tried with and without and prefer the sliders. drew...

I had a vague memory that there were mods needed to install a HANS system on a Caterham. When I Googled Caterham HANS device I got info suggesting mounting points for shoulder stapes need to be repositioned wh/requires removal of roll-over bar, etc. No idea if this is still the case but mite be worth checking.

There is almost no neck rotation tho, so you must have mirrors adjusted perfectly.

Get the sliding tether kit for the R3 - makes a huge improvement to your visibility.

Does anyone know if the 6 mounting points for the sholder harness is in the correct position to work properly with the HANS device or do the mounting points need to be modified?

Also I have the 3 inch wide harnesses and it looks like the HANS device is designed for a 2 inch wide belt. Does it still work ok with the 3 inch belt?

Tom

If your belts were correctly installed to begin with (within 10 deg of horizontal IIRC) there will be no changes needed.

It will work with 3 inch belts as well - the extra width of the belt just slips over the edge of the HANS collar.

BTW I hope you guys also check the age of your belts as they age rapidly in the sun and typically last only 5 years.

Edited by rnr

The HANS dealer who sold me the device checked the fitment with me in the car. He said that the rear harness mounting points ideally should be closer together than the standard mounting points we have in the Caterham, but would be OK. I haven't changed mine. I have three inch belts. The dealer did say that improperly fitted, the HANS could potentially be worse than not having one at all.

Justin

Get the sliding tether kit for the R3 - makes a huge improvement to your visibility.

BTW I hope you guys also check the age of your belts as they age rapidly in the sun and typically last only 5 years.

SFI/FIA approved belts will have a date on the label which indicates the expiration of the belt. SCCA events will check occasionally for compliance. If they don't, or if the group you run with doesn't, you should. Its your neck out there. There are no Mulligans on the track.

• 3 weeks later...

Some thread resurrection, as I'm also in the market for a HNR system.

I'm leaning towards the R3, which is now a Simpson product, partially because anecdotal info from several forums indicates that it may do a better job with side and angle impacts.

My other concern with going with the HANS is the install in the Caterham. Per the HANS quick start guide (http://hansdevice.com/Quick-Start-Guides), the inner edges of the shoulder belts shouldn't be more than 3" apart measured at the anchor points. Having 3" belts would help, but I don't think the standard Caterham anchor points would get you there. In the UK, participants in the Caterham race series need to go to Arch and have new anchor points installed in the chassis.

FWIW, Pegasus is currently offering a 10% discount on the R3.

Steve