Full roll cage attachment

Klasik-69

The car from Ohio went off on the first lap of qualifying at the runoffs last year or would have been at the very front. One of the guys from Houston finnished 5th or 6th.

Caterhams have the SCCA EP lap record at:

Carolina Motorsports Park 1:41.8

Eagles Canyon Raceway 2:00.32

LaJunta :56.6

New Jersey Motorsports Park (Lightning) 1:13.8

Lime Rock Park :57.9

Miller Motorsports Park East 1:45.7

New Jersey Motorsports Park (Thunder) 1:30.3

Pikes Peak Int'l Raceway (w/Oval 1-2) 1:05.3

Pocono 1:44

Pueblo Motorsports Park 1:39.8

Road Atlanta 1.35.4

Roebling Road 1:17.2

Texas Motor Speedway 1:32.4

VIR - North 1:38.9

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lotus 7 hold the FP track record at Grattan and formerly Nelson Ledges race way (finally got broken by .002 seconds) by a Honda but I'll get it back.

First off-I am Lotus 7/Caterham 7 fan # 1.

Second-when the track is twisty, 7's rule.

Third-when track has some significant straights, 7's are at a disadvantage.

And, if I assume the Runoffs are the ultimate challenge, se7ens have faired poorly in EP, mostly bouncing between 9th and 11th over last 10 years. The regional wins are nice, but just qualify for the Runoffs.

Why? Probably because SCCA rules dont allow this "TDRC" to reach its potential. But just a guess.

I got the good word from Caged this morning. They can build me a tall FIA cage for 900 GBP. They ship the cage in a huge cardboard box by FedEx; quote to follow. They are going to add a second side intrusion bar (bolt in so they can still give an FIA approval) plus a bar for attaching shoulder harnesses suitable for a HANS device. I'm going to forget SCCA but will be glad to have a cage for track days. Build time is 2-3 weeks.

They can build the SCCA cage as shown earlier in this thread, but it would be much heaver.

I'd be interested to see what the freight bill is on the cage from England. I'd guess around $350. If my math is right, about $1600 (900 GBP) for the cage, so likely around $2000 plus duty fees. Then you have to either install it yourself or pay someone. Its only money !!

I've been reading the GCR regarding the roll cages for GT and Production cars, section 9.4, and I don't see where they mandate that only a cage manufactured by the original car manufacturer and meets FIA is acceptable. In fact, they go to great lengths to describe how to build the cage in accordance to their minimum specifications and where variations apply, as in the case of Honda and Miata specifically. On GCR page 112 of the latest GCR, section 8 states that cages made by the manufacturer which are FIA homologated cages are acceptable. They don't say that ONLY THEIRS are, but more including them as well (9.4.G.8). I'm going to contact John Bauer at SCCA Tech department in Topeka and ask him specifically about the local manufacturing of roll cages for the Caterham to see what the HQ's view is on this.

Wow, you figure around $500 for shipping. Too bad they can't just ship the tubes unwelded, shipping cost would be considerably less I would think. QC may be an issue and it would certainly not be FIA certified but maybe that doesn't matter.

I just checked with Jon @ Catherham USA about roll cages. He said he had several available to order from, and if someone can wait until he gets his container shipment, the shipping charge isn't such a killer. Actually, I thought his price of $2100 fob Colorado was reasonable. They're available in the S3 and SV variants but Jon cautioned on saying they meet the SCCA GCR since this seems to vary from region to region and inspector to inspector. If someone is far away from Colorado like I am, the additional shipping charges for a bulky item like the cage can add another $200 or so. However, it will fit the car since its built for the car and to Caterham's specs.

I also sent an email to John Bauer at the SCCA tech office in Topeka to see what his take is on the variance allowed for the 7's. John has been extremely helpful in the past and does take a very common sense approach to the implementation of the GCR, within limits of course.

I think the SCCA is trying to be very inclusive on cars and classes, but to have a car in any class that is reasonable to drive as a weekend crusier, and be fully race ready is not very practical anymore. The SCCA was founded with participants driving to the track a long ago, and they have tried to develop classes over the years to stay with that (Showroom Stock, IT and SM), but rules creep and more so the level of competition have made that a thing of the past. To be honest most of your cars are far too nice to subject to the cosmetic and physical abuse of SCCA racing. There is very little metal to metal contact but stuff that gets thrown up off the track from following closely with slicks, racing in the rain that would make it a shame. The passenger side of my car has an Accusump, a halon fire system, the battery, ballast and a cool suit cooler part of the year, so converting back and forth would be a real pain just from that standpoint.

I don't mean to disparage anyone here or come off as a smart alec....just trying to pass on what knowledge I have. I think if I was going SCCA (or maybe NASA) racing and was starting again, I'd probably just order a new bare S3 chassis and build up from there. Or call Criag Chima and have him do it. Might be cheaper in the long run...and the front hubs, dedion tube, etc would all be the latest spec.

I just checked with Jon @ Catherham USA about roll cages. He said he had several available to order from, and if someone can wait until he gets his container shipment, the shipping charge isn't such a killer. Actually, I thought his price of $2100 fob Colorado was reasonable. They're available in the S3 and SV variants but Jon cautioned on saying they meet the SCCA GCR since this seems to vary from region to region and inspector to inspector. If someone is far away from Colorado like I am, the additional shipping charges for a bulky item like the cage can add another $200 or so. However, it will fit the car since its built for the car and to Caterham's specs.

I also sent an email to John Bauer at the SCCA tech office in Topeka to see what his take is on the variance allowed for the 7's. John has been extremely helpful in the past and does take a very common sense approach to the implementation of the GCR, within limits of course.

I would order a cage from Caterham USA directly, but I need a custom tall version. Interestingly enough, Caged was fine to make the cage 4" taller than normal and to add a HANS harness attachment bar and label it FIA approved, but could not add a second side intrusion bar and maintain approval.

I'm curious to see the SCCA tells you about the Caterham FIA cage.

Either way, I'd rather have a OEM-ish cage that will fit well and look proper.

This is the reply I received from John Bauer yesterday;

Hi Mike,

We do accept FIA certified roll cages.

For cages meeting the GCR cage rules, the side protection rules are not optional. The car will have to comply with them.

-John

From what he says, I would deduce he means the FIA cage is fine but you have to add the side bars. I would also say any cage built by any shop here in the US that meets the GCR metal and fabrication requirements are SCCA compliant. It would have to pass tech and be issued a log book, and it would have to have the two side rails as described. The second rail on the side can only be above the "door line" since there's no room beneath it.

Edited by Klasik-69
typo

So.... with any luck a Caged FIA cage, with a bolt in second side rail should meet the requirements.

Caged was happy to build in a second side intrusion bar as a bolt in addition and maintain their FIA approval of the cage.

Let's race! Croc, Aero devices may be limited though :jester::jester::jester:

• 8 months later...

Just spoke with George Alderman at Mid-Atlantic Caterham.

George figures with freight and additional shipping the Caterham Roll Cage will cost $3,000. That does not include installation.

WRT installation, if there are stubs (welded nuts) on the frame, the installation should be straightforward. If they are not there, then the price tag goes up considerably.

I am going to have a cage installed - just not sure which option is best. My takeaway from this discussion is I should get a cage that is at least FIA Compliant.

Tom et al.: A container will be shipping shortly to Caterham USA full of cars. If you need/want something large from Caterham UK, now is the time to order

Jeff: Based on the photos I see here, the stock Cat cage just follows along the side of the car. If you look at MichaelD's last photo in the group he posted, you can see his cage flares out on each side away from the body. The cage I have on my Cat does the same thing, maybe more, on the driver's side. This wld seem to provide some crush space in the event of being T-boned. I am sure the Caterham cage you are looking at is better than nothing but am not sure it provides optimal side intrusion protection. Just a thot.

Mike M.